Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 23rd, 2002, 01:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default Pictures from Guam

Some pictures we took while visiting Guam. We were on the Regal Princess October 2002.
Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2002, 03:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Pictures from Guam

You got around to see more than I did. We did the shopping centers , Hotels, all owned by Japs. The Monuments on Island Ours are small theirs are Large. Some of the natives on Guadalcanal thought the Japs won the war because of the Monuments. Did you like the roadmapes on Guam all in Japanese
Old December 23rd, 2002, 04:25 PM
Admiral

Ben,
As someone who lived on Guam for over a year I know of only one monument to those Japanese troops that fought a last ditch stand and were wiped out rather than surrender. That monument also does not honor war, rather it is more a prayer that war will never happen again and that we should remember how horrible war is. Guam does cater very much to Japan as it is exceptionally popular for Japanese honeymooners just as Niagara Falls is to Americans. I was there when the first Japanese Naval warship called on Guam since WWII and the rules they were subjected to so that they would present a good image were strict beyond belief! I loved Guam and the Chamarro people and feel blessed to have the priviledge of learning much about their culture and sharing in some of their lives. I made many friends that I have no doubt should I return there one day I would be welcomed into their homes with open arms. They are a great people. Hafa Dai
Jim

Old December 23rd, 2002, 04:39 PM
Admiral

Hey Ray! I just saw your photos on Guam and it is beautiful as I remember it but some things have changed. <G> What took me back was the shot of the location of the Japanese that remained in his cave until he was captured in 1971. I know that story well as I was at that time a supervisor with the Armed Forces Police Dept and was on duty when he was captured! I took charge of this individual at the hospitial that overlooks bay. He fully believed I had been summoned to shoot him. A remarkable man that I felt so much compassion and respect for. He knew that they had lost the war and it was over but following his code of honor he would not surrender and even kept his rifle, (as far as he was concerned it was the personal property of the Emperor and treated it as such), even though the wooden stock had completely rotted away. The memory of this incident will live with me forever. I remember him taking us back to his cave and I was worn out just getting there and he even at his age was running circles around the rest of us. An amazing man.
Jim

Old December 23rd, 2002, 07:10 PM
Admiral

Wow!

Ray those are great pictures.

Jim that is a fascinating story. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Phyll

Old December 23rd, 2002, 09:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Pictures from Guam

Jim Bragg, You are referring to Sergeant Yokoi (the year 1978) and The Caves built by forced Chamorro
RayB, The pictures are very good.
Old December 23rd, 2002, 10:46 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Pictures from Guam

Wrong year Ben, I was there and was for a short period of time in charge of him as the Police had no idea what to do with him. (Neither did I and called the powers to be and babysat him until they were able to get someone to care for him). The cave is one he dug himself and was only one of many over the years. He made all his clothing with coconut fibers and was a truely amazing person. I am well aware of some of the autrocities that were committed and even dated the daughter of the lady that was one of the main people that hid the American sailor for all those years that the movie "No Man is an Island" was made about. She was brutally bayonetted and left for dead after her discovery and because of this is, or was, someone that the Japanese government would do anything for including free trips to Japan and honors after the war to try and make amends. She forgave them for her troubles and pain she suffered throughout her life from these injuries. She, nor her relatives and friends ever forgave the American who made racist and belittleing remarks about them after he was rescued when the US Navy re-captured the island.
Jim

PS Judy, the lady's daughter, was a very beautiful young lady I might add and taught me much about the local people and customs and through her I made many friends.

Old December 24th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Admiral

Jim,

Thanks for the details. I am happy that you can relate personally to the events that occured. I am happy to present the photos showing exactly where the cave was. I was stationed at Anderson AFB 1960-61 and kept hearing of people loosing clothing from the lines and food. This Sgt Yokoi was the one commiting these thefts. I stated that he was captured in 1973. This was my mistake. Thanks for the correction.

Thanks again Jim for filling us in.

Ray
Old December 24th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Ray,
I am not so sure that he was the one that did all of those thefts! He was located towards the southern end of the Island and althougt he said he had moved around some he did say that he saw signs of others as late as 1963/64! We also heard many reports of possible 'hidaways' on the northern end towards AAFB and I even had my Military Police Vehicle take a military type round in the door while traveling on route 15 where it was still very much the boonies. Never found out who took a shot at me but it is very remote there and the locals don't hunt in that area because it is so hard to move around. Who knows? After seeing those photos I could do nothing else all day but think of those days I was stationed there and remember what a wonderful place it was and the great times I had. Did you get to sample any "Tuba Juice", the local 'moonshine'? Man that stuff was smooth and you had no idea it was strong until you tried to stand up! <> Glad you got to 'come back' to Guam and someday I hope we are blessed with a repeat visit as I would love to show Sylvia all the places I hung out at there.
Jim

Old December 24th, 2002, 03:24 PM
Admiral

Jim,

Wish you could have been with us on the cruise. It was a joy to ride around and see the emense developments that have sprung up. Tumon bay where we use to swim is now thickly cover with large hotels. More so that than Wakiki Beach in Haiwii.

2 years ago I visited Guam while aboard the Sky Princess. There again we used a rental car and went to AAFB. What a change. Modern throughout.

If I catch time over the next day or so I will post the Siapan pictures. There again the island is a favorite vacation spot for the Japanese.

Ray
Old December 24th, 2002, 06:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Small world Mary Lou and I were on the Sky Princess 2 years ago. 600 old Vet's. Bob Reynolds really knew the Island & John Maxtone-Graham The two best lectures On any cruise that I have been on. Beryl Davis that had sang with the Glen Miller Band
I would take another cruise like that anytime