Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 22nd, 2003, 09:40 AM
Admiral

Default Poll: How big is yours?

How big is your hometown?
My town, Boca Raton Florida, has a population of 74,500. Yet, to me, it still has that small town feel.

WOW… I actually think I felt a slight vacuum from the accumulative gasps of the Boards Caretaker…seeing the title...

and laughing is contagious,
here’s hoping for an epidemic!
Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2003, 10:03 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Poll: How big is yours?

Sounds like Jason took up Thomas' torch... I can almost hear Robo's heart palpitations from here.

I live in Orlando, Florida. O-town had a population in the year 2000 of 185,915. It is expected to grow by 10,000 people by 2005. (Thanks official city web site!)

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Post Edited (01-22-03 10:18)
Old January 22nd, 2003, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Greenfield, Wisconsin has a population of about 30,000 but we are in the middle of the Milwaukee Metro area which has a population of over 1 million.

Old January 22nd, 2003, 10:34 AM
Admiral

In Columbus, the biggest small town in the USA, we have roughly 1M. But, that includes all the burbs and burgs out to 10 or miles beyond our outerbelt, I-270. Have you ever noticed that since the automotive age, American cities have expanded more to the East than the West? Who wants to drive into the sun during rush-hour?

Steve
Old January 22nd, 2003, 10:36 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Thanks Michelle, I wasn't quite sure how big ours is!
Angela Z.
Old January 22nd, 2003, 10:47 AM
MARK101

Wauconda, Illinois has a pop. of approx. 8,000,
more or lessIt depends on wether or not its winter.
This town has a large number of businesses that
depend on the seasons. So a good number
go south for the winter. Therfore, more or
less a pop. of approx. 8,000.

Mark

Old January 22nd, 2003, 11:03 AM
Admiral

Location: Locust Grove VA (20 miles West of Fredericksburg VA)

Well let's see....my mailing address is "Fredericksburg VA" (pop 19,279) but I actually "live" in Spotsylania County VA (pop 90,000ish).

Old January 22nd, 2003, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Poll: How big is yours?

That's the city population, Angela... I'm not sure about the greater Orlando area. Actually, we can try to estimate.

The population of Orange County in 1990 was 757,897. (http://www.orangecountyfl.net/)

The population of Seminole County in 2000 was 287,521. (http://www.co.seminole.fl.us/)

Of course, that's not including the parts of Lake, Osceola, and Volusia counties that could technically be considered within the greater Orlando area. Plus, the figure for Orange County, where the city of Orlando is located, is thirteen years old.

Therefore, I think we can estimate the population of the Orlando metro area at well over 1 million.

(Yes, it's a slow morning.)

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Post Edited (01-22-03 10:27)
Old January 22nd, 2003, 12:02 PM
Admiral

My impression of Orlando has always been that everyone rides in a rental car that no one knows how to drive. :-) At least, that's the impression I get around Kissimmee and Lake Buena Vista. I don't see how full time residents can stand it! I guess that's why Carl Hiaassen calls folks like me 'tourons."

Steve
Old January 22nd, 2003, 12:12 PM
Admiral

Believe me, I know, Steve... I live in Lake Buena Vista and have to deal with this every day. (Yes, there are a brave few of us who really do live in that area.) It's absolutely amazing, you'd think some of these people have never been behind the wheel of a car before.

Spotted recently on a bumper sticker in LBV: "I'm a local and I have a gun."

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old January 22nd, 2003, 12:27 PM
Admiral

Thanks again Michelle, yes, when you start to look at the big picture it's really pretty big. I give you a lot of credit for dealing with traffic in your part of the county. I try to have patience when you know it's a rental car making you nuts but sometimes you just want to shout "is your brain on vacation too?"
Also in the vacation vein.....hubby is glad it's so cold up north so people will want to be down here so restaurants will buy lots of food from his company.
Angela Z.
Old January 22nd, 2003, 12:36 PM
MichelleM

I live in Beecher, WI. Good luck finding it on a map. I think the population is about 500 but we are an unicorporated township. We are an hour and a half north of Green Bay, WI and about half an hour south of Iron Mountain, MI. There are more people in the summer because there are lots of weekend cabins people only come to the in summer.

We lived in Atlanta, GA for about a year and a half and couldn't take the size.

Before Atlanta we were in Appleton, WI which is about 70,000, but the Fox Cities area is about 110,000.
Old January 22nd, 2003, 12:48 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Poll: How big is yours?

I like the Tampa website that explains that sunroofs are not for ventilation; they're for flipping pennies onto the windshields of tailgaters. A penny's worth of road rage, perhaps?

Steve
Old January 22nd, 2003, 12:52 PM
Admiral

Michelle and Angela,
Beware… We will be at the Mouse House the end of March for my Grandsons 2nd birthday. You know, character breakfast, Dumbo ride, tea cup, small world.ect,ect. We will do Magic Kingdom one day then Animal Kingdom the next day. The kids will leave and we plan to stay a day or so more. What should we see while we are their? Someone said to see Church Station? (or something like that). Any suggestions?

Old January 22nd, 2003, 01:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Calgary, Alberta is a city of just slightly under 1,000,000 people. Including the surrounding area it's 1,000,000 people, 1 1/2 million cows, and 1/2 million oil rigs <G>
Old January 22nd, 2003, 01:22 PM
Admiral

Jason,
Sadly Church St. Station is pretty much a ghost town these days although I think the Improv comedy club has opened where Rosie O'Grady's used to be. The History Center in downtown is lots of fun (no, I'm not prejudiced to this because my daughter is on the membership brochure!) and Ichiban Japanese restaurant (on Orange ave,) is a nice place for lunch.
Park Ave. in Winter Park is very nice for an afternoon stroll. A lot of chain shops have moved in (Williams Sonoma, Banana Republic) but there's still some funky mom and pop type shops. The Morse Museum at the north end of Park Ave. is a stunning display of Tiffany glass. When the azaleas are blooming Central Park is beautiful.
Enjoy the character breakfast......should be fun.
Angela Z.
Old January 22nd, 2003, 01:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Beautiful Fairfield, Ca. pop. 115,000 (54,000 military), this is really a nice part of the state.
Old January 22nd, 2003, 01:44 PM
Bobby Sue

Williamsburg, Virginia - The town of Williamsburg itself has only about 12,000 people, but James City County which surrounds it has about 50,000.
Old January 22nd, 2003, 02:45 PM
Yeoman

Farmington NY POP: 25,000 and only 70 miles from Niagara Falls.

HEY YOU FLORIDIANS: I saw a bumper sticker last week in Brandon, FLA. It read:

IF IT"S TOURIST SEASON, WHY CAN"T WE SHOOT THEM?

Now...I ask you ...is that any kind of attitude?

Bob
Old January 22nd, 2003, 04:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

All you guys are talking about ORLANDO. Well we live in OCOEE which exactly 10 miles west from downtown O town. We are bedroom type mosty community with about 30,000 Pop. We love our town since we have all the conviences needed to survive. You can get sick, go to the Hospital, be burried here, eat in fine and not so fine restraurants and shop til you drop in our West Oaks Shopping Mall. We are growing leaps and bounds.
Old January 22nd, 2003, 04:15 PM
Admiral

Hey Jason,

Don't know how much I can help you... but I'll give it a shot.

Jodi (UConn, where are you?) has always recommended Discovery Cove as a fun, non-touristy tourist attraction. I've never done it, and it's kind of pricey, but she says it's worth it.

I enjoy seeing movies at Pointe Orlando. It's an open-air shopping mall with the usual stores, but the movie theater is pretty cool since it one of the screens is a giant screen that's usually showing an IMAX cartoon and the latest release. Check to see what's showing on the giant screen here.

If you and your wife like to go out at night, drink, dance, and generally party, (remember, I'm 25, so this is what I do for fun in Orlando) there are a few good choices. Locals much prefer Universal's CityWalk to Disney's Pleasure Island. Pleasure Island charges an exorbitant entry fee, and from what I understand, is not much fun. CityWalk, on the other hand, is awesome. Go to Pat O'Brien's for the best hurricane east of New Orleans. There's also downtown Orlando. Church Street, as Angela pointed out, is basically dead, but there are some cool clubs and bars that really get hopping on Friday and Saturday nights.

There are plenty of shops and restaurants in the LBV area. We like to walk around Downtown Disney just for fun. The Rainforest Cafe there is a fun place to eat; go in midafternoon, 3 or 3:30, and you won't have to wait in line.

There are a few nice malls if you find yourself with a pressing need to shop. The Florida Mall is convenient to the tourist areas and has some nice stores. The Mall at Millenia is brand new and very upscale. Haven't been there yet myself, but hear it's an attraction in itself.

Hope this helps... I'll let you know if I think of anything else.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old January 22nd, 2003, 04:26 PM
Admiral

I live in a STATE that has a population less than one million. No wonder everybody knows everybody.
Old January 22nd, 2003, 06:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

1,800 give or take. Mariposa CA, gateway to Yosemite
Old January 22nd, 2003, 06:42 PM
Admiral

Michelle: You live in Lake Buena Vista, population 36 (or there abouts). Of course, it has more hotel rooms than there are people in Delaware.

marc
Old January 22nd, 2003, 06:43 PM
Admiral

Bah, Marc. LBV isn't incorporated, so Orlando counts. Besides, I'm moving within the city limits in a few months anyway.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old January 22nd, 2003, 07:34 PM
susancruzs

The place I live, Park City, probably has 4,000 maybe 5,000 people but the immediate area, Waukegan/North Chicago/Great Lakes has way more and I'm clueless as to how many.

My little impound, stockade fence and all probably has 200 people maybe!!! :-)

Susie
Old January 22nd, 2003, 09:24 PM
Admiral

438,000 in Mesa, Arizona, more or less. But, because the whole metro Phoenix area is a relatively young city and was originally laid out on a mile-square grid pattern with lots of space between buildings and houses, I never have that "big city feel" here that I get when I am in some of the big cities back east or, say, in San Francisco.

Old January 23rd, 2003, 08:18 AM
Admiral

Thanks, Michelle and Angela. I'm going thru the links. We may stay an extra day to see some of the places.
Your the best!!!

Old January 23rd, 2003, 09:13 AM
Admiral

Jacksonville, Florida passed 1 million in population about 2 years ago.

A bit of trivia: Jacksonville is the largest city in the U.S.A. landwise.

Regards,
Thomas
Old January 23rd, 2003, 12:44 PM
First Mate

I live in Lincoln Nebraska we are 225,000 strong. When the Huskers play football at home we are 301,000!! (Saturday)