Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 22nd, 2003, 11:39 AM
First Mate

Default Where does all the money come from?

I've reading the message boards for some time and some criusemates take 2 sometime 4
cruises per year or more. I do not want to discuss money but how do they afford it. Hope I'm
not getting to personal.
Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2003, 11:47 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to jayfoxfire Send a message via MSN to jayfoxfire
Default Re: Where does all the money come from?

Donít feel bad Gary, Iíve often wondered the same thing and think to myself ďboy, it must be niceĒ.

My Wedding Cruise on the Coral Princess
Old January 22nd, 2003, 11:55 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I save all my change and cash it in; I do without a lot of stuff - no cable tv, no cell phone, no call waiting, don't eat out alot, etc...I cut back on that stuff so I can cruise more often. It's a matter of what is important to you and what you are willing to sacrifice to achieve your goal.

Old January 22nd, 2003, 12:02 PM
Sandie

Hi Gary~

All I can say is that they are very fortunate individuals!! (-: I myself have been on six cruises in my lifetime, and I'm pushing 40!! The last two cruises were on Princess in the Caribbean with a group of close friends and my cousin, and we still cherish those two weeks among us. Now, of the 12 of us who went on the last cruise in January of last year, seven of us are in peril of losing our jobs. Really makes ya appreciate those times, that may never happen again? It took us two years just to save up for a one week cruise!! (-:

Regards,

Sandie
Old January 22nd, 2003, 12:06 PM
Admiral

I work a part-time job just for cruise $$$.
Old January 22nd, 2003, 12:24 PM
David Starkey

Don't take the cruise unless you get an especially good price for your sailing. My yearly local cable tv company price for one year is equal to 2 one week cruises(if you plan ahead and shop around).(and thats on a medium priced line). I would glady do without a few extra's during the year in order to sail the high sea's twice a year. Luck also factors into the planning as unexpected expenses do come up and the vacation budget does take a hit at times.
Old January 22nd, 2003, 12:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

An interesting question. Having just returned from our CruiseMates group cruise I can tell you, of those travelling with us, we had a broad cross-section of ages, and probably income levels as well.
Many of the "older" folks in the crowd have worked hard for many years, invested and saved well, and are now able to enjoy the benefits of their labours. Then there are some of the "younger" ones, who are bright and maybe overachievers, who have done very well for themselves early on, and aren't waiting to enjoy the successes they've achieved.
And there are those who work hard day after day, and save whereever they can, with choices they make in their day to day lives regarding their spending habits(less expenesive automobiles and homes.. going out less... smaller less costly homes, etc), to enable them to cruise more.

I didn't take my first cruise until I was 45 years old, even though I've been relatively successful and self employed since I was 25. Even today, at 53, I could live in a larger home, and chose to drive more luxurious cars, but we find our desire to cruise and the pleasure we derive from it is more important to us.

Then, of course, I was most fortunate to fall into my part time drem "job" here at CruiseMates, enabling me to go cruising and write about them, to share my experiences with everyone here.
.... and nope, I'm not planning on retiring from it soon, so no need to apply for my position.

Regards,
Kuki
Old January 22nd, 2003, 12:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Another important factor I forgot to mention...

The pricing in cruises the last couple of years has dropped significantly. What was once a fairly expensive vaction is now VERY affordable. People can easily find 7 day cruises for $400, and if they control their onboard costs for booze, gambling, etc can have spend a week at sea for little more than a week at home would cost.

Regards,
Kuki
Old January 22nd, 2003, 12:38 PM
Admiral

Some of deals you can find are cheaper than what you would spend by staying at home. I go on 3 night, 4 day cruise for about $30 to $50 per day. This $30 per day includes food (breakfast, lunch, dinner, and room service) lodging (bed, water, electric, and maid service) entertainment (Shows, games, pool, bands, gym, sauna, and more). If I stay home for a weekend, I would spend more.
Iíll grant you, Iíve been blessed with my financial situation. Some of our cruising friends arenít as lucky and just wait for the unbelievable priced cruises. There are some amazing deals out there if you look hard enough. Sure I donít have the expense of getting to the Port, if you shop you can get good deals.
With me, the question is, can we afford to stay home this week or weekend?

and laughing is contagious,
hereís hoping for an epidemic!
Old January 22nd, 2003, 01:04 PM
Admiral

Gram and I started this cruise thing slowly about 7 years ago. First cruise was an off season 7 day where I used some credit card miles for the airfare. We still had two
children that we were subsidizing at grad schools at the time and had just paid for our second wedding in two years. As time went by our economic circumstances improved. Mainly because we were no longer subsidizing colleges and grad schools. We do two cruises a year now. Shorter one in the spring and a longer one in the fall. I figure the total cost of two vacations is less than half of what it cost per year for the 11 years that we had two family members in school at the same time( and our economic circumstances have continued to improve). When the kids were in school we used to think of Gram's salary as going towards that. Now, it goes towards travel (and a toy here and there for my grandchildren).
More than you ever wanted to know. My message for the younger folks is , there is light at the end of the tunnel and it can be made up of Caribbean sunshine.
Old January 22nd, 2003, 01:38 PM
Yeoman

Hi: The more I sell...the more possible cruise money I have...course...now I have a wedding to pay for next summer and right now the tab for that could take me on 3-4 , 7 day cruises...and it's not over yet.

Life is short, Gary so grab what you can without hurting anyone and have fun. The last thing I want on my tombstone is "Coulda, woulda, shoulda"

Bob
Old January 22nd, 2003, 02:23 PM
Admiral

My salary is for the things I want and don't want to have to wait for. Fortunately I have a really good job and it has been able to let me do pretty much what I have wanted to do for a number of years. With retirement looming in the near future that of course will have to change a bit, but we will still continue to cruise, choosing our cruises carefully. I tell my kids that I am basically spending their inheritance :-)

Gaile
CM Host Tweety

94 days till Constellation
and
"Springtime in Europe"
Old January 22nd, 2003, 03:19 PM
First Mate

WOW!!! I'm really surprised to get so much feed back on this question. I've been on
17 cruises with CCL over the past 10 years so I've spent some bucks. I have a two
family and some times I wish I put more money toward the mortgage then spending it on all on those cruises. However I did have a great time.
Old January 22nd, 2003, 03:29 PM
Admiral

I went on three cruises last year... and honestly, I did spend a little more than I should, but there are two main reasons I could afford to go: 1) I only decided to book when the deal was too good to pass up, and 2) living in Florida, one can save oodles of money by driving instead of flying to the ports.

In the meantime, I am carefully putting money aside for the next cruise. This year is going to be slimmer since I am building a house and need to spend a lot of would-have-been-cruise-money on the down payment and stuff like blinds, tile, and fencing. So I'll probably only go on one cruise this year, in December for my honeymoon. If an exceptional deal comes along, though, we might be cruising sooner. Budgeting is the key!

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old January 22nd, 2003, 05:26 PM
Admiral

No KIDS! All the money the rest of you spend raising kids, we waste on ourselves!!

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old January 22nd, 2003, 06:34 PM
Admiral

Dinks, we are!

Double income/ no kids
Old January 22nd, 2003, 07:55 PM
Dennis van Rumund

Default Re: Re: Where does all the money come from?

I believe that it's what you value in life. Spending time with my wife while we are in good health and traveling, meeting wonderful people on cruises has greater value then upgrading our house or autos. We save where we can and believe in the idea that small amounts of money saved on a daily routine yields us the money for 2 cruises a year and 1 more if the Black Jack table is kind to me.
My wife's Uncle worked hard everyday at the factory and waited to see the world, after he retires, the day of his retirement party, he suffered a major heart attack and died that very second. Life is too short to wait for perfect conditions.
Old January 23rd, 2003, 01:34 AM
First Mate

I think location is part of it. If you live close to the ports ( ie Florida) you don't have to pay for airfare. For me, as long as I don't have to kill my savings I'm happy. We also make a point of saving for trips, whether a cruise or land package, and once a year would be nice. Of course there's the mortgage, college fund etc. New car? she's got one so I don't need a new one(her words!).

But my overtime at the Summit of the Americas in 2001 and the G8 in 2002 paid for the last 2 trips. On that note note I hope we get the 2010 Winter Olympics!

richard
Old January 23rd, 2003, 07:27 AM
Admiral

Jose and I work like dogs all year long (or at least in between vacations). We both work long hours and have no time to go out and spend much money on other types of entertainment. I know a lot of people where I work think, especially since I'm part of management, that "she makes the big bucks". If they only knew! But I don't do a lot of the things they do every weekend, like buy 4 wheelers to go out into the desert, drink beer by the caseload, see every new movie on the weekend it is released, etc. What I'm getting at is this: If you saved up all of the money they spend in a discretionary manner and used it to shop carefully for reasonably priced cruises, they could do it too. But, for those who haven't ever cruised, it still carries the mystique of being an expensive vacation which is out of most people's reach. Not so any more.

Old January 23rd, 2003, 01:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

I will be going on my third cruise in three years. My friends always ask me how do I do it. I tell them easy, I book the cruise and then pay it off in installments (which I normally do in four months) so then I start saying up my spending money. It's really not that hard to do when it's not all coming out at one time. After last year's cruise my husband actually sat down and decided to add up all the money we spent. He felt it was too much and did not want to go this year. Well needlesstosay, I'll be cruising spouseless. I work hard and this is my reward..can't wait Legend 4/03/03.
Old January 23rd, 2003, 03:58 PM
Beginner

I waitress every saturday night at a local restaurant. I started working there when my ex- lost his job and didn't pay child support, then I had to pay my divorce lawyer, now its a daughter in college. I use part of the money for those expenses and at least half of it to spend on myself. I'm the one working six days a week.... I quit smoking 2-1/2 years ago and bought a time share with the money I would have used for cigarettes. It was the best thing I could have done for myself. Now I have one week a year to go on vacation,I simply exchange my week and go someplace different. I've been to Ft Laurdale, Cancun, and now this cruise. I guess if you want something bad enought you'll figure out a way to get it.
Old January 25th, 2003, 10:58 AM
Admiral

Like Marc, we are childless and don't have the expenses of college, clothes, etc. We both drive 1993 model cars with 200K miles on them. I have a full time career position and own a restaurant and she used to have a career job until the restaurant demands became too great forcing her to give up her day job. We work 7 days a week and must forego the movies, eating out, nightclubbing, weekend get-aways, golf, and other recreations. Repairs to the house, dishwasher, A/C system, plumbing, etc. are done by myself.

We drive to the ports and book last minute deals thereby usually cruising for less than $100 per day/pp. This is not an expensive vacation anymore. If we go to a land based resort the room itself will cost as much. We like to take the 4-5 day quickies which we can get for around $350 each.

Our biggest problem is finding the time to cruise and covering the arrangements needed to do it.

Regards,
Thomas
Old January 25th, 2003, 06:10 PM
Yeoman

I was able to take 4 cruises this past year, since moving from high cost of living Ca. to the state of the "EARLY BIRD DINNER" FL.