Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 24th, 2003, 10:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default POLL- How Do You PREFER to Meet Your Cruisemates

We've just returned from yet another GREAT CruiseMates Group; meeting and having fun with some wonderful folks. As happens occassionally doing group cruises, there were a few people "in the group" who we never really did meet, other than to say hello.

Not a problem at all. We always stress that it's your vacation, and you participate in as much or as little of "the group activities" as you choose. Some folks simply book into groups because of the pricing, and then do their own thing, and by all means this is acceptable.
[b]Got me to wondering..... Do you prefer to "meet" people via the message boards, prior to cruising, and get to know each other a bit before the cruise, and then meet onboard?
OR do you prefer to just let fate determine who you meet onboard, and just enjoy the company of your significant other, or family/friends you're sailing with?[b]

I obviously enjoy the camraderie of group cruising. Just bumping into familiar faces while doing whatever around the ship, or waving as we pass each other in the hallways, seem to make it much more comfortable, and homey.

Regards,
Kuki

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2003, 11:54 AM
Admiral

Default Re: POLL- How Do You PREFER to Meet Your Cruisemates

Kuki, I'll have to let you know my real preferences after my first cruise. However, the determinig factor for the upcoming first was the group rate available to my wife's High School class. I'm not completely without experience with travel by ship and I've been trying to get her to cruise for years. It took the reassurances of the experienced cruisers among her class to convince her that her concerns about seasickness were mostly unfounded on today's liners.

I intend to spend most of my time on the first night, watching her carefully--I've witnessed what her seasickness is like. I'll let the larger social circle happen as it may, though I expect to meet a couple people from this board which you and your colleagues so excellently maintain!

By our second cruise--I'm confident my wife will enjoy this one--I'll have a better idea what to expect and to prefer. Who knows? We might even join a CM cruise, some day.

Steve

15 days until Sensation, and my cruising initiation.
Old January 24th, 2003, 12:11 PM
MARK101

As my wife & I have not met any CM's, we couldn't tell you.
When we found this site I posted on the "Meet On Board" board.
But, a few weeks later after having read a few posts concerning
meeting people, (via the CM boards) I pulled my post & started
wondering, how do you meet a CM? Take a CM's Cruise? Well
just this morning someone posted that they are going to be on
the same ship as us, therefore I'm going to e-mail him & see if
he'd at least like to have a drink with us while on the ship. So far
what I have read in all of these boards is that we will be the only
CM's aboard. I hope that my observations are wrong & that we will
meet one or more of you on board our first cruise.

Thanks Kuki

Mark & Robin

Old January 24th, 2003, 12:53 PM
Captain

I have met some people from various boards at meetings on land and some on the ship. Doesn't really matter to me where or when we meet but it is nice to meet. This past cruise the people I was supposed to meet onboard did not show up. We did meet two in line as we were getting our sign and sail card but there was no time to talk there and they never showed up for our scheduled get together. I guess I scared them off while in line .
Old January 24th, 2003, 01:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

Now about Helen and I. We just love to meet people and turn them on to the wonders of the world traveling by ship. It is always such a wonderful experience I can not understand anyone doesn't enjoy it. Every person we meet makes it a new adventure even when we are visiting places we have been before.

We do like to meet people when we are online in CM or other sites then wonder what they are really like. Then having the occasion to meet them in person on a cruise is another adventure.

We have a good time and enjoy life even when we go by ourselves, we meet people we enjoy all over the world and keep in touch with each other. Its a small world after all.

Ray & Helen
Old January 24th, 2003, 01:33 PM
Admiral

Me personally, I think that exchanging e-mails and getting to know the people in the group prior to boarding makes the first face-to-face meeting seem more like meeting someone you know as opposed to meeting a total stranger. I especially like the get-togethers we fondly call "The Bash" the night before embarkation. Again this gives you the opportunity to get to know the people you will be cruising with.

I have to agree with Kuki that seeing a friendly face as you pass people on the ship is fun. We have met many people online, and cruised with them. Some have become really good friends that we will see over and over again and share good times and bad times with. Can't imagine not knowing them. We have formed an internet family and boy am I happy to be a part of it.

Post Edited (01-24-03 13:35)

Carnival Glory
Old January 24th, 2003, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Haven't yet booked a CruiseMates cruise... but if I did, I would definitely want to hang out with the group, meet my fellow cruisers, and participate in group activities. I would hope there would be many of you, my message board pals, on board to make things fun and interesting. I really enjoyed the pre-cruise bash last November.

However, if the cruise I am booked on is not a CruiseMates cruise, as they have all been so far, Mark and I keep to ourselves and enjoy taking the time to focus on each other.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old January 24th, 2003, 01:43 PM
MARK101

Default Re: Re: POLL- How Do You PREFER to Meet Your Cruisemates

Well said, Ray & Helen

Mark

Old January 24th, 2003, 04:15 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to Auguste

Since I travel Solo, like to meet people by E-mail and on the boards. Have meet some real nice people that way and feel like I am not alone and have table mates I know somewhat. Made friends that I keep in touch with and cruise again. Auguste
Old January 24th, 2003, 06:05 PM
susancruzs

I really like the CruiseMates cruises because I can just run into people as it may happen! Traveling by myself, which I've done for years and its o.k., I like that I can run into people I've already met! I stop and visit for awhile, maybe have breakfast or lunch and then move on doing what I want and trying not to intrude on others either!

When I'm by myself it takes a little more work, I make sure I go to exercise class, talk to people in check-in lines more, maybe Bingo or an auction so I meet some people to say Hi to as I pass by, plus the dining has to be a set situation.

This is why the cruisemates cruises are great for those going by themselves! I will say though on all my cruises, including this last one, I've been so lucky with dining companions. Always end up doing an excursion, a class or something with table mates, it always works out for me. If I ever get on a cruise where I'm always totally alone and it doesn't work out, I'll probably be devastated!!! :-)

Susie
Old January 24th, 2003, 08:29 PM
Admiral

I woyuld've LOVED to meet anyone online before my cruise, but couldn't seem to find anyone on the same sailing , through posting on the boards. Maybe for the next one...
Anyone booked yet for Golden Princess Jan.3/04?? Would love to meet some CruiseMates onboard, you guys have been so helpful to me with all my questions.
Old January 24th, 2003, 10:20 PM
First Mate

On our last Paradise cruise in September, we managed to connect with several people we had chatted with on the BB. We all seemed to like one another, but we didn't connect over and over again ... just met here and there and said hi.

Other folks that we connected with on the cruise randomly have become lifelong friends ... friends we 'd like to cruise with over and over again. What's the difference? I don't know. These friends are not people you would choose out of a line-up and say I want to be their friends. It's just people we connected with and enjoyed spending time with. I like the people God sends my way more than the people I try to connect with! Don't know why that's true though!

RCL x5: Majesty of the Seas, Sovereign of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas

Celebrity x1: Century

Princess x3: Caribbean Princess x3, Dawn Princess

NCL x1: NCL Spirit
Old January 25th, 2003, 02:53 AM
First Mate

It's kind of like online dating. You can't learn nearly as much about someone by exchanging messages as you can by meeting face to face. People don't always show their true personas on the Internet, and when they meet both parties may be surprised. I find it easier to get to know someone after a five minute conversation than by chatting in cyberspace for any length of time. The same goes for meeting virtual cruisemates. I may enjoy their company online, but unless we meet in real life I don't feel I really know them. I've had the opportunity to meet people from other boards, outside of cruising that is, and haven't connected with some I thought I knew well, but hit it off with others I thought were complete opposites. Life is not like a message board.
Old January 25th, 2003, 08:44 AM
Admiral

We haven't done a CM cruise yet but maybe someday we will. If we do I'm sure after meeting us the rest of the people on these boards will wish we had not . <grin>

REgards,
Thomas
Old January 25th, 2003, 09:11 AM
Admiral

When Jose and I went on the Let's Get Lei'd Cruise, we felt like we knew so many people before we even met them in person, and we had a wonderful time. We made many friends that I think will be part of our life for many years to come. We had also met a number of Cruise Mates last year at one of the Melees at the Marriott in FLL before a CruiseMates cruise. We were in Florida because we were going on a different cruise, but it was great to get together with the bunch and get to meet some of them. I think getting to know people ahead of time through the message boards is a wonderful way to break the ice and find something in common to talk about when meeting in person.