Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 27th, 2003, 03:24 PM
Evelyn Richardson

Default Flight to Sydney

Have been told I am flying in April on Qantas Miami to Sydney Have never flown with this line . It is a LONG LONG LONG journey. especially in economy class

Has anyone flown with Qantas in last 6 months? Will be glad of all advice I can get,as I travel solo.
Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2003, 03:37 PM
Princess Pat

Default Re: Flight to Sydney

Our daughter flew Quantas from Sydney to LAX a couple of weeks ago. She just shared with us that the eye mask and the ear plugs were essential (she may have gotten these as part of a kit handed out on her flight from SFO to Sydney). She also recommended taking Somminex (sp?) to force yourself to sleep part of the flight.

Someone else suggested drinking a lot of water.

Pat
Old January 27th, 2003, 08:37 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

What is essential is to get up and move about some during the flight. Walk up and down the aisles a few times to stretch out the leg muscles. When sitting and watching the movie or whatever, do some stretching leg exercises and walk in place while sitting in your seat. Drink lots of water, and yes, do take a couple of Tylenol PM or something to help you sleep part of the flight. Also, before boardin, if NOT CONTRAINDICATED BY YOUR MD, take an aspirin before boarding the plane to help prevent the formation of a blood clot (also the walking and the seated exercises will help with that.) Bring along one of those travel pillows, maybe some eye shades and ear plugs.

Old January 28th, 2003, 06:21 AM
Admiral

Evelyn,

Just did the flight from Washington, DC via Los Angeles to Sydney on Qantas on 1/4/2003. We had a layover in Los Angeles, as I suspect you will too. The flights on Qantas to Sydney left late (10:30 pm and later), there were several.

It really wasn't as bad as I had thought it would be. As soon as we took off, they brought the dinner around, then afterwards, most lights went off and people slept. Most took some kind of sleep aid. I went to the doctors and asked about sleeping pills, and he prescribed something called Sonata and it works wonders for me. Some of our group took Tylenol PM which worked fine for them.

As Lisa says, get up and walk around as much as possible.

Also, call Qantas and get your seat assignment, try for bulkhead and/or an aisle, it is easier for you to get up and move around and you have more leg room.
Old January 28th, 2003, 01:08 PM
Evelyn Richardson

Thanks everyone for your help, will certainly get my doctors advice on sleep aid.

I already take Coumadin to thin my blood (also heart medication), but your advice was a very good suggestion.

Woul have liked to go Business class but it was just too expensive - took a trip at Christmas and went First Class from FL to LAX which was a great waste of money, I had to change planes , so each flight was short and they gave out plenty of drinks but no food. Wish I had saved my money so I could use it now. as I have to budget each year for my cruises.
Old January 29th, 2003, 02:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Flight to Sydney

Quantas and Air New Zealand two very good Air lines. For me from LAX , Dinner and a couple drinks., Next they are waking me for breakfast and landing soon. I do sleep well on long flights

Old January 29th, 2003, 09:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

In the UK you can now buy flight socks which help circulation. We are also told to take an aspirin 1 each day for 4 days prior to travel (check with your doctor if you are on medication) and yes you should exercise even if its only in your seat. Qantas are partners with British Airways who my husband works for, and as far as I know they are a very well respected and safe airline.
Have a great time down under - Sydney is meant to be fantastic.
Old January 30th, 2003, 06:44 PM
Wes Rahn

Talk to your Doctor about Ambien; It's a great sleeping pill without the side effects. It works for me.