Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 28th, 2003, 01:47 PM
Admiral

Default OT Ebay

Hi! Knowing that there are people here who know a little about everything...I have a question I hope someone can help me with. I am looking at a watch for sale on ebay. It's a Casio G Shock Solar....Can probably bid 55 dollars and get it. What bothers me is this...research of that watch shows that the retail price is approx $99. How can someone sell that watch for $55 and make a profit? Where do the sellers get the items to sell? Do you trust ebay?

Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2003, 02:47 PM
Robin101

Default Re: OT Ebay

Hi Rick,

They may have bought it for a lesser price, in multiples, etc. I myself have not shopped at eBay. There could be any reason where that stuff comes from. If you want it, I say go for it.

Robin101
Old January 28th, 2003, 04:28 PM
Admiral

Most jewelry (including watches) is sold at what's called "Triple Keystoned."

That means that the piece is sold at retail for about 4X what it really costs to the seller.

AFTER the seller buys it from someone else..

Make sure that you get a guarantee from the seller. For whatever that may be worth.

So, if it's "half price" (look at the Macy's catalogs) the seller is still making plenty of money.

And what it REALLY means is that somebody paid about $10 for the watch.

Your friend,

Queen La Cheapa
Old January 28th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Admiral

My fiancÚ bought a gorgeous watch on e-bay at a similar discount. He uses e-bay all the time, both to buy and sell. Just make sure the seller has mostly positive feedback, and don't hesitate to ask them a question.

I'll ask him if he has anything to add, and if he does, I'll have him put his two cents in.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old January 28th, 2003, 05:48 PM
Adam C.

Hi Rick -

In my experience with ebay, the low price could be due to a multiple of factors. Mostly, the ones named above: (1) The seller buying in bulk, (2) We're used to such a markup that even a sligh one by the ebay seller would mean a profit to him and her.

Another thing to think about (and this usually applies more the electronics than to stuff like watches) but sometimes they are items that have been returned to the store for whatever reason. Often when this happens, it is shipped back to the manufacturer who repairs and/or repackages the item and resells it. Often for less money. Sometime, wholesalers purchase these "refurbished" items and sell them at such places as ebay. Normally, the seller warns you that the item has been refurbished, but htis is not always the case.

Finally, as you can imagine, sometimes people sell fakes. I'd be lying if I said it hasn't happened to me. Usually you can tell a lot by looking at the feedback of the seller. The feedback is normally pretty accurate and can be a nice warning if they seller has had issues in the past.

Adam
Old January 28th, 2003, 06:12 PM
Brad Krewson

Rich

Were I work we manufacture air hammers in the US and sell them thru Industrial distributers. One of our tools cost us $ 51.00 and the list price is 253.50. Sounds good .

When we sell it to the Industrial distributor he get 48% off list plus our salemans for that area get 15% commision. Plus we give 1% for paying in 15days. I hope I have help you Rick.

Also are tools are made by us in USA. Just thing of the pricing from overseas (china)

Brad

Old January 28th, 2003, 07:05 PM
Admiral

Well Costco sells the G-Sock for 29.00-- and its a big sellef-- not the solar one-- just think-- mark-up
Cheers
April
Old January 28th, 2003, 11:32 PM
Dean Renner

Rick,

It also could be that the seller received the watch as a gift, and doen't want it any longer.

In fact, I may actually try E-Bay for any weird Christmas/birthday presents..............!

Good luck,

Dean
Old January 29th, 2003, 10:14 AM
MichelleM

My hubbie is an eBay addict. He collects NASCAR diecast cars and gets them for about 1/2 of what they retail for. I also got 2 evening gowns new with the tags on for about $35 each, I found those dresses on the manufacturers websites and their suggested retail is over $200.
Old January 29th, 2003, 10:21 PM
Bunny

Have you ever heard of wholesale? Many sellers have ( or had) a legitmate business and buy things at wholesale prices. And when the wholesaler discontinues an item , he can sell it to bulk buyers or offer it to the stores that sell his items at a very reduced cost.
Also there are many places like mine, a bridal shop that closed and they are selling off their stock. To be honest I have been buying and selling on ebay for many years and trust them more than my local store. It is the first place I look for some items that I know I will have to run around ( and waste my time) to find. And also after you are a seller for awhile you can become a traders assistant and sell items for others getting a small commission. I know of a bridal retailer who is big into selling other stores leftovers. And then there are those who stalk thrift shops and those who are cleaning their closets.

But as with everything you buy you must read the entire listing BEFORE you bid and check the sellers rating.And ASK questions of the buyer also, that is what the link is there for A big number is impressive, but also look and see if there is a pattern of unhappy buyers and the reason why. You can not do THAT with a regular store.