Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 28th, 2003, 08:04 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Passport soon required for Costa Rica!

I've now read on two different sources, one of them Cruise News Daily that as of 5/1/03 anyone going to Costa Rica (even on a cruise and even if you do not get off the ship) will need a passport. Plenty of time for those whose cruises stop in Costa Rica after 5/1/03 to get a passport. My personal opinion is that passports make any travel easier and I will not leave the country without mine.

Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2003, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: Passport soon required for Costa Rica!

In fact on theCarnival Legend, the cruise director made it a point in his disembarkation talk that the US government has asked the cruise lines to stress that very soon anyone traveling outside the USA will need a passport....no more birth certificate and government issued photo id.....

Old January 28th, 2003, 09:49 PM
Admiral

What Lisa said.

If I were to have a #1 Cruise Gripe, it would be the people who don't have passports because they are EXPENSIVE.

They are probably the people who don't vote because the lines are too long.
Old January 29th, 2003, 12:11 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Some passport math,

I know the cost of passports has increased. Lets say they are now $80.00 for 10 years. That is $8.00 a year or 0.67 cents a month or 0.2 cents a day. Now you say the cost is outrageous and not sure the price is worth it? What can you buy for this price?

It is the best investment you can make, and really eases the travel problems that you will incur.

Post Edited (01-29-03 00:13)

Old January 29th, 2003, 07:36 AM
susancruzs

I have to sit on my hands, bite my tongue and cause myself pain when I read these posts about why should I get an expensive passport, this may be my only cruise, I'm not really leaving the country??? and so on!!!

Ughhhhh! I love the math there and my theory is if you can pay hundreds of dollars for a vacation, you can't afford $ 80???

Sorry, it does get my goat!!

Susie
Old January 29th, 2003, 08:03 AM
Robin101

I agree, on the hassle free having a passport. Once you get one, you may find yourself more inclined to travel out of the USA.

Robin101
Old January 29th, 2003, 11:00 AM
Admiral

I got to thinking (always a dangerous proposition) and I'm quite certain that when we did the Panama Canal a passport was required. On one cruise, a pal and I flew into San Jose, CR, and I would swear that a passport was required to get into the country.

Swearing, of course, is not appropriate for a family-oriented site, so I take the swear part back.

Still, I can't imagine anyone who travels or even THINKS about it not having a passport.

Heck, $80 is about the price of a medium dinner out. Give up two dinners out, get two passports.

If we are soon to go to war (which looks rather inevitable at this point in time) it just makes good sense to have a passport. Even if we don't go to war.
Old January 29th, 2003, 11:01 AM
Admiral

They make great gifts too-- that's what my daughter gave me for Christmas last year-- before the price went up--- but whatever the cost I'm well worth it --lol
Cheers-- it just having the picture taken-----yuck---
Need to work on getting one for my husband--- so he has no excuse to to cruise with me.
April
Old January 29th, 2003, 02:41 PM
MARK101

Default Re: Re: Passport soon required for Costa Rica!

Agreed !

Old January 29th, 2003, 03:13 PM
Admiral

Ironic, I got my passport (I'm still on my first) so I could go to Costa Rica.

Mark has been using the old birth-certificate-and-photo-ID method, but don't worry, we plan to rectify that situation soon.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old January 29th, 2003, 06:01 PM
AR

This is great news. I hope all of our Island neighbors and Canada will require passports sooner rather than later. If nothing else, it will stop all the silly complaining you guys have been talking about. It will simply be a case of "If you want to travel outside our country, get a passport. Nothing else will work. End of discussion."

Can't afford it? Fine. Cruise up and down the Mississippi.

AR