Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 30th, 2003, 09:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default POLL- Your FONDEST cruise ship MEMORY?

I'm sure we all have a trunk load of great memories from the cruises we've done. Sure that's one of the reasons we all keep going on them.
Put on your thinking caps, and try and recall your FONDEST memory!!

For me I think it would have be the sparkle of wonder in my kids eyes, and the broad smiles on their faces as we exited our helicopter in Alaska and explored the glacier.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2003, 12:00 PM
SharB

Default Re: POLL- Your FONDEST cruise ship MEMORY?

Gee, Kuki!
I could come up with at least one for each cruise. I guess it would have to be a three way tie: 1 - Celebrity's Mercury - getting ready for her maiden voyage through the Panama Canal. We were on deck early and got to watch an air show out of Fort Lauderdale on a beautiful day! 2 - Hearing my sis-in-law's reaction when a whale spouted right off our aft mini on Dawn Princess while entering Glacier Bay.
3 - on Regal Princess' last season of Alaskan voyages going under the Golden Gate and having the ship's Captain take us on a special whale watching tour outside of Victoria.

Shar
Star Princess March 1, 2003
Old January 30th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Admiral

Gotta be the giggle in Mrs. Thomas' voice when we celebrate the embarkation.<wink>

Regards,
Thomas
Old January 30th, 2003, 12:52 PM
Admiral

As fond as we are of cruising there are many many good memories. One that sticks out was the morning of our first cruise. We landed in the rain at Ft. Lauderdale at midnight and got driven to a Holiday Inn . I had no idea where we were. Very early the next morning something woke me and I decided to poke my head out the door. My view , directly accross from my room, was outr ship, Crown Princess . All lit up from stem to stern having just tied up just accross the intracoastal from our room. What an introduction to cruising that was. This beautiful , graceful , all white cruise ship resting peacefully not 300 feet from our hotel door. Wow. It was right then and there that the hook was set and I became a cruiser.
Old January 30th, 2003, 01:38 PM
Happy Camper

I don't know why but the thought of watching the sunset over Maui as we pulled away always comes to mind first. My hubby and I watched it from our aft cabin and it was so beautiful with all the colors. I had so wanted to go to Hawaii since I was 6 years old and my school teacher had gone over the summer and come back with slides to show us. It was a dream come true. Debbie
Old January 30th, 2003, 01:40 PM
Admiral

I have to submit two.

The first was during our Fantasy cruise in September. We were lucky in that it was docked right alongside the town of Nassau. Mark and I found chairs on the starboard side of the ship on the Lido deck, sat there all evening and watched the sun go down on the town. That has to be one of the highlights of the whole trip. It was such a great feeling to just sit there and relish the fact that we were in the Bahamas, taking a break from our ordinary lives to do something extraordinary.

The second was on the Millennium in December. We sat on the aft outside bar, and watched the sun set over St. Thomas. Another magic moment.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old January 30th, 2003, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Oh so hard to choose, but I would have to say the feeling I had when looking up at Mercury on my very first cruise. I knew it was gonna be big but standing there looking up it so far exceeded my expectations I had goose bumps. But I have fond memories of every ship we have boarded since then and expect to have those same feelings ongoing each time I cruise. I hope the anticipation and excitement never go away.

Carnival Glory
Old January 30th, 2003, 04:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Not sure this would be my fondest but I think of this as a very magical moment.......June 2000 on the Norwegian Dream.......somewhere in the North Sea.....it was 11:00ish pm.....sun sort of still up.....being on deck with my then 11 year old son (who would still hang with mom at that point) and trying our hardest to walk against the wind which was whipping. We were laughing so hard we were nearly crying.
Angela Z.
Old January 30th, 2003, 05:21 PM
Brad Krewson

When Deb and I got married back in 1976. We were going on the first formal dinner. We have had rough seas that night and we were walking down the hall to dinner and I kept stepping on here long dress. It was a very helpless feeling.

Brad

Post Edited (01-30-03 17:24)
Old January 30th, 2003, 06:35 PM
susancruzs

My Alaska cruise had some great moments but being on the ssNorway and sailing into New York was pretty special. I have a fantastic pictures sailing in and then of the hull, which is normally hard to get because she doesn't usually dock. Special because we sailed in to New York and out, same day and there was quite the hoopla.

Same cruise, we sailed over to France and leaving port that night they put on the most fabulous fire works display I've ever seen with bands playing. Of course, being at sea, top deck of the Norway made it seem like you could reach out and touch those fireworks.

Susie
Old January 30th, 2003, 07:00 PM
Admiral

Oddly enough, it was on our worst cruise - The Millennium.

Never mind why it was the worst, but I have fond memories of the loyal friends I made during that time. They have been my friends since our first meeting and have been there to lend a shoulder or ear as needed.

Old January 30th, 2003, 10:09 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: POLL- Your FONDEST cruise ship MEMORY?

By far, the renewal of our vows for our 25th anniversary on the Summit a year ago. Jim Cannon made it one of the most special days of our lives.
Each cruise holds something wonderful, and that is the draw-what's next?
I was just on chat with 2 people that I have met on cruises, and that is so special, chatting on here, then meeting them and forming lifelong friendships. How great is that?
Cher
Old January 31st, 2003, 07:58 AM
Admiral

Oh my there are so many memories, but i would have to say that the one that really sticks in my mind would be cruising through the Panama Canal on the Royal Princess and being in total awe at this engineering marvel known as the Panana Canal
Old January 31st, 2003, 08:28 AM
Admiral

I've never been on a cruise, per se. But I hopped some Mediterranean Islands via ferries and packets. And I think this qualifies. The memory that stands out is a spot I found on Ibiza. I stood on a cave perforated cliff after a storm. Waves could be felt twice as they truck the cliff face and as they struck inner walls of the caves. It felt like the heartbeat of the earth! From correspondence I've had with the island, that area is now fully developped with resort condos. I doubt I could find it again anyway. I'm glad I have the memory.

Steve

8 days until Sensation.
Old January 31st, 2003, 07:27 PM
Admiral

Got to be my very first look at the cruise ships "parked" in the port of Miami, as we arrived for our very 1st cruise 9 years ago. SO huge, so impressive, and upon embarkation, even more impressive inside. And I thought it was just a "boat"!!
Old January 31st, 2003, 08:25 PM
Admiral

It was late June, in St. Petersburg, Russia. We walked out on deck of the Norwegian Dream and experienced the "White Nights" phenomenon at about 11:45 P.M. What a mystical experience that was...
Old February 3rd, 2003, 09:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Lots of memories like you all. My first cruise to Alaska stands out - watching the calfing of the glacier and the absolute silence and beauty of the place - having hot chocolate on deck with a blanket watching the world go by......

Seeing my kids all dressed up for dinner and my son's face at the chocolate extravaganza....
Mel
Old February 3rd, 2003, 10:22 AM
First Mate

Like everyone else I have alot of memories, but the one i'll never forget is the one memory that put that special twinkle in my wifes eyes when I proposed to her on the Jubliee.

Majesty Of The Seas 06
Carnival Victory06
Holland America Oosterdam 05
Carnival inspiration04
Carnival Destiny04
Carnival Legend03
Imagination99
Sensation94,96,98,01
Jubilee92,97,00
Festival87
Old February 3rd, 2003, 05:44 PM
Admiral

Hitting a Royal Straight Flush on the Pride...lol

Old February 4th, 2003, 11:48 AM
First Mate

I was on the Imagination in March 95. At my table were 9 of the most beautiful girls
that I ever seen, we had a great time!!!! That is what I call a vacation.
Old February 4th, 2003, 03:15 PM
Admiral

Gary, you sure you it wasn't your "Imagination" ??????

Regards,
Thomas
Old February 5th, 2003, 12:48 PM
JenS

Default Re: Re: Re: POLL- Your FONDEST cruise ship MEMORY?

Approaching and leaving Bermuda. The islands were just beautiful.
Old February 7th, 2003, 11:34 AM
First Mate

No Thomas I have the pictures to proof it.