Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 30th, 2003, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Default Will You Cancel

If, or should I say when, we go to war with Iraq.....will you cancel your cruise?

Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2003, 02:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Will You Cancel

If/when the US attacks Iraq, I think it will be a very short war. We're talking the might of the US armed forces against forces of Iraq, which are even less well equipped and trained now than they were during Desert Storm.

The United States armed forces on the other hand have continued to make technilogical advances in the their weaponry, beyond the scope of thought of Iraq.

Their may be some after shock reprocussions to the war to be concerned with, but the war itself won't last long.

Regards,
Kuki

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 30th, 2003, 02:56 PM
MichelleM

No we will go on our cruise. We are booked on the Feb. 23 sailing of the Paradise and the Sept. 28th sailing of the Pride and plan to take both of them. I don't think that us staying at home is going to do any good for anyone. We will go and enjoy the free upgrades that come when others cancel.
Old January 30th, 2003, 02:57 PM
Passenger

I am from Canada and we will still go on our cruise Feb16th
We wait so long for our first crusie .
Old January 30th, 2003, 03:07 PM
Admiral

Well, I will probably book another cruise. When/if this happens, I am anxious to see what the cruise lines do in Europe with the itineraries. I think many will cancel their Med cruises if the lines do indeed stay there. I hope they stay and the prices are cheap cause I'll book one.
Old January 30th, 2003, 03:40 PM
Admiral

I am not booked, but if I were, the only reason I would cancel is because I work for a defense contractor and might be required to work longer hours and give up vacations for a time. That's a sacrifice I'd gladly make, if necessary.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old January 30th, 2003, 04:46 PM
Admiral

Heck no !
When I was in Vietnam, I heard that the folks back home were basicaly living a normal life, partying, cruising ( i guess) and whatever, so I figure I owe it to the troops to carry on
and carry on I shall.
Old January 30th, 2003, 05:14 PM
Brad Krewson

War or no war I'm still leaving Sat. morning at 4:30am for Tampa

I can watch CNN at home or on the ship !

Brad

Old January 30th, 2003, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Rick, won't you be there to protect us?
Seriously, our next cruise is out of NY on the Legend in May. There is no flying involved so that eliminates one concern. I'd say, as long as the ships are sailing from NY and as long as I feel the family in NY are OK then we are going.
Old January 30th, 2003, 06:13 PM
Fla Jack

Only if submaries are spotted in the FLL ship channel. Coral Princess 02/12 regards Jack
Old January 30th, 2003, 06:41 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to JEANNES Send a message via Yahoo to JEANNES

I'm cruising war or not, papabill when in may are you going out of nyc, we sail 5-21 on the legend
Old January 30th, 2003, 06:44 PM
Admiral

Nope not me. Think I would stay away from the Med but other than that I'd go.

Carnival Glory
Old January 30th, 2003, 08:14 PM
Admiral

That might bring on fire sale prices. I might have to book a nice Alaska cruise, if the fares go down as much as they did after 911.
Old January 30th, 2003, 09:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to DanaB

No freaking way!

Dana

Sovereign of the Seas - 12/22/02
Sovereign of the Seas - 04/27/03
Sovereign of the Seas - 09/04/03 *and* 09/07/03
Old January 31st, 2003, 07:32 AM
Admiral

No Way!
Old January 31st, 2003, 08:32 AM
susancruzs

Nope, Brilliance here I come! I might have second thoughts about going overseas but not to the Caribbean!

Susie
Old January 31st, 2003, 10:48 AM
Admiral

Me neither-- unless there is noway I can get to Miami---- and that what insurance is for----
Cheers
April
Old January 31st, 2003, 04:45 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Will You Cancel

I'm not booked but if I were I would cancel. I just don't think I'd have a good time knowing our citizens are dying and I'm laying on a pool deck at sea with people serving me drinks and such. I'd feel guilty living that lifestyle when our brothers,sisters, sons and daughters are fighting to survive.

Regards,
Thomas
Old January 31st, 2003, 06:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Thomas.. I'm sure there will be many people who think as you do, and it's certainly a normal reaction. I believe everyone will take pause.... however....

In the event of a war (more drawn out than I personally think this one would be) should people stay home glued to the TV watching it on CNN? Should schools and businesses close their doors for the duration? Should people quit going out to restaurants or to a movie?

I don't think for a minute anyone would be unaware of the tragedy of what is going on, no matter what they're doing. But to stop what you're doing, and to do severe damage to the economy seems to go in the face of the reason there's a war.

Yes, people will be losing their lives... and if everyone "at home" stays at home until it's over, people "at home" would be losing their jobs, their homes, their businesses. The "enemy" would have scored a victory regardless of losing the war.

Regards,
Kuki

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 2nd, 2003, 01:01 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Will You Cancel

Hi Thomas,
I feel the same way you do but it seems were are the only ones. I would like to ask some of these people how much partying they were doing yesterday after we got the news of the shuttle? For myself, I just had a sick feeling all day and its still there today, I am sure it will gradually go away but no I didn't go out and drink , party, celebrate last night. What about after the JFK death, how much partying was going on in the nation. These are just my personal opinions, but just to keep the economy going seems like a shallow reason to me, Best Regards, Buck
Old February 3rd, 2003, 08:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'm booking a cruise for Easter and I come from the U.K. so will have to fly to Miami or Fort Lauderdale. I have never cancelled any holiday and I will not be intimidated - We have lived with the threat of bombs and terrorism for a long time - unfortunately you get used to it but never become immune. We also have troops in Iraq but the Brits motto is: 'Carry on no matter what' - people should travel - look what has happened to the airlines since 9/11 (my husband works for an airline and has been directly affected by people not travelling particularly on the Atlantic routes - come on all you travellers - Europe is a great place with fantastic history and lots to see or do) - do we want the same for the cruise ships?
Mel
Old February 3rd, 2003, 05:29 PM
First Mate

No, I won't cancel.

As one personally involved and directly connected to 9/11, my family suffered great losses that day. I let it paralyze me for many months and I have come SO far that I refuse to let anything paralyze me like that again. If I do - they have won.

My heart, thoughts and prayers will certainly be with the courageous men and women that are fighting to preserve what we sometimes so proudly take for granted, our freedom. I plan to exercise that freedom by taking my hard earned vacation time and making the most of it. Maybe that sounds selfish, but like I said- I will never again give in to terror.

deja