Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 17th, 2003, 01:53 PM
First Mate

Default WHAT MONTH FOR ALASKA CRUISE

Thinking of booking an Alaska cruise and wondered if one month out of the summer was any better than any other. All the places I've cruised, I haven't done Alaska yet. Someone told me July was the best month.....is this true? Also, I've heard that Princess is the best line for Alaska cruises but I've sailed on RCCL's Radiance of the Seas when it was brand new and I'm pretty sure Radiance goes to Alaska, and that was a wonderful ship. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2003, 02:38 PM
Admiral

Default Re: WHAT MONTH FOR ALASKA CRUISE

July is very nice. I really enjoyed Holland America. They gave us real woolen blankets for on-deck viewing. They had excellent naturalists on board to explain the geology and wildlife.
Old February 17th, 2003, 02:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Buddy,
We cruised Alaska last year on Celebrity Infinity and it was wonderful, another great ship for Alaska.

You may want to check your TV listings for the travel channel. Some time ago there was a show with Radiance in Alaska, truly great show, you may want to try to catch that if/when they air it again.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 17th, 2003, 04:42 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Marie

I think you take your chances on any month in Alaska

Most people don't go to Alaska for the weather, but the scenery is spectacular.

I personally like RCCL over the other lines and the Radiance of the seas is fabulous.

Try to spend some time in Vancouver before or after your cruise well worth it.
Old February 17th, 2003, 04:45 PM
Beginner

July is great. Sun Princess does a wonderful job and the shore excursions are exceptionally good. They also have naturalists on board. In fact, we enjoyed it so much we are doing the same trip again July 21,'03.
Old February 17th, 2003, 07:29 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

June will give you the summer solstice.....a friend said you can see the sun set on one side of the ship and rise on the other at the same time...I'm still trying to imagine that! July might be warmer, but the rain in a crap shoot whenever you decide to go.

Princess and HAL have been in Alaska the longest and have the best on shore facilities.

Old February 18th, 2003, 08:07 AM
susancruzs

I went to Alaska with RCI and they did a great job. We had people onboard giving daily talks that were great. I think I would opt for June, I went very early, first cruise of the season and we had wonderful weather, the rare exception rather than the rule.

My first choice would be RCI and then Princess, RCI because of all the glass on the Radiance class ships. Celebrity Millenium ships just don't have as many areas to see out when your cruising along and want to be inside, especially if the weather would be a little bad and everyone has to be indoors.

Susie
Old February 20th, 2003, 01:42 PM
mdwages

Default Re: Re: WHAT MONTH FOR ALASKA CRUISE

We did HAL Statendam Memorial Day week in May 2001.

I loved Alaska but was not happy with HAL-not enough evening activites. Yes they had woolen blankets on deck and that was nice. They also did a really nice afternoon tea and had a great coffee bar for free non-alcoloic coffee drinks but the bar closed around 5p.m. every day.

I love piano bars and live band music. Just not much going on in that area. I saw no dancing anywhere. I did enjoy the ports and glaciers though but as the ship left around 5p.m. from the ports I was bored the rest of the evening.

We had friends that did Celebrity Labor Day week a couple of years before us. In Ketichen they saw Salmon in the streams or little creeks around "Miss Dolly's". We were looking really forward to that only to find out the Salmon spawn in late August -early September and that is the only times you see them there. We were really disapointed because from their video it looked as though you could almost pick these fish up and pet them.

Anyway if we ever go again we want to do Norweigan Seattle round-trip. We understand there is more to do entertainment wise on this line; although there is no glass cover over the Lido deck and the food is not as good so it would not be everyone's pick.

I am sure naturalists are on all the ships- I know we had them on Statendam . If you go to Sitka visit the raptor center-it is about a mile walk from where you get off at- you walk through the temperate rain forrest to get there. A nice pleasant walk. Also Seward has a great wildlife center which is worth seeing also. both of these are inexpensive-less then $15 to tour them.