CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Are price hikes in the works? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/263101-price-hikes-works.html)

Thomas February 18th, 2003 07:35 AM

Are price hikes in the works?

Is anyone seeing any price hikes, or less discounting, due to the gas prices?

A cruise we've been watching in June is not discounting as much as normal and I was wondering if this is because of the increase in gas prices.

Here in Florida the price is up about $.40 per gallon so for a ship that holds 500,000 gallons that's an increase of $200,000 per tank.

Regards,
Thomas

susancruzs February 18th, 2003 07:47 AM

Re: Are price hikes in the works?

I was wondering about that, as the gas prices on the corner station seem to change on a daily basis. Time was diesel was a bargan, now it is almost as high as premium.

Got me to thinking, too about those cruise prices and if the war goes on and things get tighter, what will happen.

Wonder where it will lead and if they will raise prices?

Susie

Dan Quayle February 18th, 2003 09:09 AM

I just booked a 5 day coastal for $199. I think the issue is demand. If your June cruise is Alaska for instance, the demand is very high for Alaskan cruises. I'm sure there is not nearly as much demand for a five night west coastal cruise.

Fuel will certainly play into the equation. Remember $200,000 divided by 2000 cruisers is about $100 p.p.

Party Animal February 18th, 2003 11:11 AM

Well it sure looks like it is having an effect on Airline pricing. Last week flights from Sacramento to Ft. Lauderdale was running $212.00 dollars, this week they are running around $328.00, I knew I should have booked last week (yikes).

sue February 18th, 2003 06:34 PM

Re: Re: Are price hikes in the works?

The cruise I was going to book just went up today by $200 p.p ! YUCK I know I should of booked this before. Now I will wait and see and if it doesn't drop I guess I won't cruise :(

lysolq February 19th, 2003 03:41 PM

I recently read that cruise bookings are soft because of the economy, terrorism, fear of flying in connection with terrorism, and an impending war. As a result, the cruiselines are not discounting fares as far ahead of a sailing as they normally would. Many lines appear to be waiting until two or three weeks prior to a cruise before publishing their steeply discounted fares.
I can't swear to the accuracy or veracity of what I read, but it makes sense.

marvholly February 19th, 2003 05:49 PM

And if the cruise lines continue to wait til 2-3 weeks out they will lose a significant portion of the people willing to travel due to arrangements for time off work and airline pricing. I can book 2 weeks out for work, but can not afford the air without at least a 2 week advance purchase. Maybe the cruise lines are agreeable to a 4-12 hour drive radius from the ports. However, I live in the mid-west. If they want my business they better do better. There are plenty of other options out there.