Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 18th, 2003, 11:24 AM
First Mate

Default Finally Booked! Yay!

Good Snowy Day Everyone!

After all the questions and agonizing I finally called my TA and booked myself, my husband and 4 of our friends on the April 6th sailing of the Grand Princess Western Carib itinerary.

Found a great price on CAT AD mini suites, 3 cabins in a row- starboard side/aft - one of the cabins being the last cabin on that deck.

Has anyone ever stayed in an AD mini suite on the Grand? Can you tell me what the cabin is like?

We are all so excited and can't wait!! We were torn between the Grand and RCI Explorer- but after seeing the price of this mini-suite , I just made the decision and booked this morning. The other 2 couples have never cruised before so I don't think they will be disappointed.

With 6 friends all traveling together in mini suites that are next to each other we are hoping we can have the balcony dividers opened so we can expand our deck space and go from room to room without using the hallway. Will they open this up for us?

Anyway- thanks for all the info - as usual!! YAY we are finally booked. I can't wait to get out of here. We got 3 feet of snow last night and it's still snowing a bit!!

Deja
April 6, 2003 Grand Princess
Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2003, 07:01 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: Finally Booked! Yay!

Congratulations, Deja!

Old February 18th, 2003, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Congratulations Deja,

Haven't been on the Grand, but we really enjoyed our mini suite on the Golden. I don't know if they can take the dividers down on the balconies. Maybe someone else can help you out with that. I'm kind of thinking you can't. The room we had was spacious with a lot of closet space. The bathroom was a little small, but still pretty good.

Phyll

Old February 18th, 2003, 07:53 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Finally Booked! Yay!

Thanks Lisa!

We are so excited. We had to cancel our last cruise because my son had a bad accident and broke his leg... long story , he's ok now!! We were originally booked on the Grand, same itinerary only in a regular extended balcony cabin. Getting these mini-suites for less than we were paying for the other cabin makes it great!

Going with friends just makes it so much more to look forward to especially since this will be the first cruise for all of them!

I'm kind of under pressure here because I was the one who put this all together and suggested a cruise in the first place! I just know they will love it though.

Now, I need to find that counter again and add it to my signature!

Have a good day!
deja
Old February 18th, 2003, 08:02 PM
First Mate

Hi Phyll,

Thanks for that information! Even if they open up one divider it still gives us extra space to hang out in.

How did you like the mini-suite? What can you tell me about it?

I am so excited about this trip! With 3 feet of snow dumped on us , just thinking about walking onto that ship and sailing off into the sunset ... ohhhhh!

We'll be flying into Ft. Lauderdale the day before embarkation (not taking any chances on the weather, even in early April!)...

Does anyone have any suggestions as to pre-cruise night hotels? My TA is recommending the Best Western Ft. Lauderdale Marina Hotel...

The price she gave me was 139.00 for the night, which really isn't an issue but I am going to put in a search on some of the hotel sites and see what comes back.

If anyone can give me info, suggestions, feedback etc. I would be so appreciative.

As long as we are close to the port and is clean and decent I think we'll all be happy, afterall - it's just one night.

Thanks so much for all your help. Without you guys I would be lost when I plan my cruises!!

Have a good Day!
Deja
Old February 18th, 2003, 08:12 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Deja - I would look at the Marriott Marina, the Hyatt Pier 66, the Renaissance, the Embassy Suites or the Amerisuites for your pre-cruise stay.

If you want to save a little money, I would try Priceline - but only after reading a great website called http://www.biddingfortravel.com It is a site that gives great tips for using Priceline and explains bidding strategies, etc. I have used Priceline in the past and have paid (before taxes) $49 for a room that the rack rate was over $100/night and $60 for a room that was $175/night rack rate.

Old February 18th, 2003, 09:28 PM
susancruzs

Congratulations on your booking, super!!!

Lisa has the best suggestions for places to stay and Priceline is the way to go for the best rates, my choice would be the Marriott Marina, Renaissance or Embassy.

I wouldn't pay 139.00 for the Best Western, I stayed at the AmeriSuites for less than that without Priceline and April pricing shouldn't be like Jan/Feb/March. I would book the hotel on your own without an agent, just a suggestion.

Susie
Old February 19th, 2003, 06:04 PM
First Mate

thank you everyone!

We are going to book the hotel on our own.... and thanks so much for those great suggestions, I'm going to look into doing it that way!

It just feels so great to know we'll be getting out of this horrid winter weather soon...

although, early April is heading toward springtime - it's still great to be able to look forward to a cruise!!

deja