Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 22nd, 2003, 09:47 PM
Admiral

Default Why so expensive?

I have been surfing for airline tickets from Phoenix to Florida for our July land trip and Norway cruise. Since we are going to be there a week pre-cruise and 2 days post-cruise, we have some leeway in choosing an airport. We have decided that Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Tampa and Orlando are all possibilities, since we'll be traveling around anyway. Southwest Airlines is showing good prices for both Orlando and Tampa, at $99 each way plus airport and security fees, for a total of about $450 for both of us to either airport. Miami isn't a Southwest destination and other airlines are coming up higher there. However, Southwest Airlines' price to FLL is ridiculous! The total for the two of us is $1070!! Why do you suppose there would be such a difference on the same airline to Orlando, Tampa and FLL? I have priced PHX - FLL many times before for other trips, and it has always been much more reasonable than this!

Old February 22nd, 2003, 10:05 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Why so expensive?

Jen,

Just sent you an e-mail.

Carnival Glory
Old February 22nd, 2003, 11:03 PM
David Starkey

No one can explain the airline fare business. My wife files every week on a particular route. Leaving on a certain day and returning home every week on another day. For months the fare was $198, then $228, all of a sudden $299, now $355 ... These are the same day, times, and flights as before. The only thing thats changed is the airline has reduced the number of daily flights between these cities and it has reduced the size of the aircraft it now files on this routing. ( I guess they must be making money now) Well my hope is that fares go back down in June,(maybe sooner) but with the reduction in flights a person can't wait too long to make plans or you might not get the flights or times you need.
Best of luck on you quest.
Old February 23rd, 2003, 06:54 AM
Admiral

I've noticed the same thing. I found a fare from Pittsburgh to Bozeman, MT for $298 RT. Of course I didn't book it. Now I see the same trip for $427. I, too, am hoping it comes down before I need to buy it.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old February 23rd, 2003, 08:25 AM
Admiral

My consternation is about the discrepancy in $$ for the same dates but to different Florida locations. Being a true cruising addict, I check the prices all the time, and Southwest always has consistent pricing to all 3 Florida locations, FLL, Tampa and Orlando. It just boggles my mind that all of a sudden FLL is so much more than the others. That's the part of the equation that isn't making sense to me! We'll get a decent price because we have the option of the other airports this time. But why so much to FLL? It just doesn't add up.

Old February 23rd, 2003, 09:02 AM
AR

Default Re: Re: Why so expensive?

Your mistake is trying to make sense of it. There is no sense and you just have to accept that. Comparisons are invalid, history is meaningless and the future is unknowable. That's the airline business. Just keep surfing.

Since you feel that both TPA and MCO are acceptable alternatives to FLL, you should also put PBI into the mix. It's north of FLL and south of the other two and has a lot of flights.

AR
Old February 23rd, 2003, 10:18 AM
Admiral

AR - I'm off to try PBI right now! Thanks for the tip.

Old February 23rd, 2003, 10:55 AM
Admiral

try Orbitz-- you can try different airports and it give you alturnative too
Good luck--
FLL seemed to come up cheaper and its less crowed--
April
Old February 23rd, 2003, 12:47 PM
Admiral

Frontier has a promotional fare of $296.50 from Phoenix to Fort Lauderdale. That includes all taxes. I typed in some possible dates and that is what came up. This is not a great fare but also is not too bad. Perhaps that will help you.
Old February 23rd, 2003, 12:55 PM
Admiral

Q.I.X.O. shows U.S. Air has a rate in July of $227.50 better yet!
Old February 23rd, 2003, 03:09 PM
Shipbound

The reason flights go up is probably based on availablity. My Rt from BDl to Fll was 353.00 then it went down to 288.00 now it is 425.00.
Old February 24th, 2003, 11:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

I can kick myself too, two weeks ago the fare from Sacramento to FL was $212.00 dollars. I did not like the return so I waiting hoping I could get something better than 5:30 a.m. return. Well, you guessed it! The fare is now $327.00, and I still can't get a better return. Times running out for me so I've gotta pay, I guess that will be one less "drink of the day" on the ship for me.