Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 23rd, 2003, 12:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to DanaB
Default POLL: Tablemates, what makes you run?

I'm just curious, I occasionally read about tablemates who are "jerks" and how some people arrive at their assigned table and immediately turn around and request different seating arrangements. If you have had this experience, what has made you run?

Dana
Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2003, 06:45 AM
Admiral

Default Re: POLL: Tablemates, what makes you run?

I've been fortunate to always have great tablemates. And luckily, I've never had a tablemate switch from our table because they thought they should run, . Meeting people is one of my favorite parts of cruising.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old February 23rd, 2003, 07:18 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: POLL: Tablemates, what makes you run?

screaming kids every night!

Old February 23rd, 2003, 08:37 AM
Admiral

I also, in my 5 cruises so far, have had great dinner companionship each time. I love to meet new people, so I think it would take someone very extreme in manner, attitude or odor to make me switch!

Old February 23rd, 2003, 09:22 AM
susancruzs

I've moved twice in my 15 cruises, once because I was seated with two couples who knew each other very well and they totally excluded me from conversation.

Another time Carole Dunham and I moved because there was a gentleman at the table who was very confrontational and all he wanted to do was talk war, politics, guns, etc. We sailed on the Royal Princess out of New York 9/10 and this guy was so wound up he would talk about nothing else. We wanted to try and keep it light and still enjoy our cruise as best we could under the circumstances so we moved.

Generally, I would say I wouldn't move but these two times were impossible so it was necessary.

Susie
Old February 23rd, 2003, 09:32 AM
Admiral

Let's see. It hasn't happened yet, but..........

People who smack their food (chew with their mouth open or talk with a mouth full of food).

People who blow their nose at the table. That is too gross ----- go to the bathroom or at least out into the hallway. No one wants to hear that while they are eating.

Sorry, but these are huge etiquette faux pas and I get nauseated seeing (or hearing) it.

It really is nasty and if it were consistant habits with a tablemate, I would likely skip all other formal dining and eat in the alternate places or ask for a change of seating.

I don't care for screaming kids either, or really LOUD people who cause scenes.

I guess I just like a quiet but fun formal dining experience. We can laugh and have a good time at a table without upsetting the rest of the other diners. And there is no excuse for being gross at the table.

JMHO

Old February 23rd, 2003, 09:32 AM
Krazy Baker

Couples or families that argue. I like to meet people at the table and we had a great time with a woman and her 2, 20 something daughters from Chicago. A couple ran from our table but thaey were with 6 other people and were supposed to be placed with them.

And I would run if someone only wanted discuss guns, war and politics.

Kat

6 days till Victory cruise.
Old February 23rd, 2003, 10:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Never ran in 8 cruises. Worst tablemates I can say we had was a couple with whom we had to carry the conversation-- no biggie though. (Oh, and they were always at least 15 minutes late -- first night 45 mins late!)

Harry
Old February 23rd, 2003, 11:13 AM
Admiral

We haven't moved but there was one couple from (fill in the blank) who had such rotten teeth it was hard to concentrate on anything else. They were perfectly kind and gracious but their appearance was distracting.

Regards,
Thomas
Old February 23rd, 2003, 11:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

It never ceases to amaze me how good a job the cruise lines do at matching tablemates. MOST of the time, by luck of the draw, we've had wonderful tablemates.

There was one sailing to Alaska, where we had our boys with us, and had requested a table with another family. Only the other family we were seated with turned out to be parents with their 30 something son and his girlfriend. Oh well.. not a big deal, until the "son" started showing up for dinner totally inebbriated each evening, and having screeming matches with the girlfriend and parents, who were also usually a six pack over the limit<G>

We toughed it out, thinking it was bound to improve (never did).. plus we thought if we changed tables they might find our bodies floating in the harbour the next day.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 23rd, 2003, 01:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Cruisenut1

We have been extremely lucky too, although there was one time we sat with 2 honeymoon couples that were so boring they almost put us to sleep.
Old February 23rd, 2003, 02:20 PM
Admiral

With one exception we have always had great tablemates. The exception was a family, Grandma, Grandpa, daughter and her 5 year old son. Since it was our family, Granny, Grumpa, daughter and 10 yr old granddaughter, we thought at first it would be a perfect match.

My absolute pet peeve in life is unruly children. This 5 year old was permitted to do whatever he wanted to do regardless of the consequences. For two days we sat and watched him play with his food, make a complete and utter mess of the table and fuss and carry on. Fortunately on the third day, a misunderstanding between the waiter and the grandfather caused them to storm out of the dining room and never return. Just how lucky can you get. :-) Other than that one occurance we've dined with either friends, family or people that we found quite charming and interesting.

Carnival Glory
Old February 23rd, 2003, 03:37 PM
Sue Sue

Poor Manners would make me run regardless of who was at my table. One cruise we moved due a family with two teens who felt they were the only two people entitled to conversation about skateboarding. My sons who were the same ages didn't want to have anything to do with this. We were moved to a wonderful table and met some new friends who we are still in contact with. Then, one other cruise my DH and I moved as we were put into a booth for 6. At the time I was a lot "rounder" than I am now and still would still today not sit in a booth as I am "top heavy" as well. Which, if you picuture it, does not fit into a booth comfortably. (Is this too much information?????) Anyway, Bad manners, unruly kids and obnoxious conversation would be reasons to bolt.
Old February 23rd, 2003, 04:09 PM
Admiral

We have never changed tables. Usually we have been quite lucky. Our last cruise was a little odd. We had a table for eight. Four very close friends plus our group of four very close friends. We got along okay but were a bit tired of them after fourteen nights. I think the dynamics of two sets of four very close friends made interaction a bit strained at times.

On another cruise we had a coocoo clock repairman that was heavily into drugs. He came to the table stoned each night. He and his wife were very annoying.Conversely, the other couple at that table were very nice. They were both doctors from Jordan and were quite interesting.
Old February 23rd, 2003, 04:54 PM
Evelyn Richardson

You may get a laugh out of this story.

My daughter and I were allocated a large table for eight people, six of us (three "couples") were already seated quite happily, when up came two females aged around 60+, they looked at those of us at the table and immediately called to the waiter "tell the Head waiter we want another table, we asked to be seated with single males" They were told that arangements would be made for them to move the following night, which happened, and in their place we got a really nice "honeymoon " couple.

Three days later my daughter saw our ex "table mates" on deck and remarked very sweetly, "I hope that you have a nice table now" She got a really glaring look, and a snarl " We will NEVER cruise with this line again, that idiot put us with six High school boys"!!!!! . Well they did ask for six unattached male and that is what they got.
Old February 23rd, 2003, 04:54 PM
Krazy Baker

Sorry, but I have to add the rotten teeth thing to my post of people who argue. Working for a Dentist, I would feel like I'm at work and this is of course is a VACATION.

The other thing would be when other people ask what you do? Of course, "rotten teeth" will blame everything on his or her's parents and his DNA.

I just don't want to go there.

Thanks,

Kat
Old February 23rd, 2003, 09:58 PM
rolerdonna

Have never had to move, and and on most recent cruise (Carnival) we were fortunate enough to be paired with a lovely couple with 2 beautiful teenage daughters (we were travelling with 2 teenage boys). It could've been a match made in heaven, but the boys were just too dumb and shy to do anything about it, except stare at their plates!
Old February 24th, 2003, 09:19 AM
Admiral

we always travel with our friends so it hasn't been an issue for us. I would have to say that for me screaming unsupervised kids would want to make me move. I so look forward to the entire dinning experience on a cruise, i like to relax and enjoy my dinner.
Old February 24th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Yeoman

Hi: Doesn't matter to me as I consider my tablemates and their personalities/quirks as part of the "entertaiment" value of the cruise. Besides, it's allways nice to experience new things.
Old February 24th, 2003, 10:22 PM
thoth

I moved once when I was seated with complainers. WHINE WHINE WHINE!!
Old February 25th, 2003, 02:04 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to Auguste

Have always been lucky to have nice table mates. Lots of times we shared shore trips together and I still e-mail and exchange cards with lots of them. Just Lucky I guess
Auguste
Old February 26th, 2003, 09:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to DanaB

Thanks for sharing your stories and experiences. On my first cruise, I guess they didn't know what to do with the 3 of us singlton ladies, ages 33, 39, 61...so we had a small table all to ourselves. This next cruise will be my sister and I and we requested a large table. Neither of us are seriously picky, but I DO get disgusted by the whole talking with mouth full of food and smacking and stuff, hehee...I can't even stand to be in a movie theater and having to be near people eating popcorn and rattling wrappers, ha ha. We have faxed the dining coordinator at RCCL asking that we be seated in a specific waiter's section, as we know he will be on the ship when we go, so we at least know we will get along well with the waitstaff again, yeah!

Dana