Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 23rd, 2003, 09:03 AM
Passenger

Default Airport in Galveston, Texas ??

Sorry for numberous questions but i have alot of them and you guys seem to help out alot in the past and i truly appreciate it from the bottom of my heart ....What would i do without the help of you guys ! Just like they say you never know till you ask ..

We are planning a 5 day cruise ( Sept 1, 2003 ) on the Jubilee to Mexico ( Playa Del Carmen & Cozumel ) departing from Charlotte Douglas Airport in NC to Galveston Texas , I have done research trying to find the best rate for air flight but when i type in Galvestion Texas some links tell me that there is no airport there ... The question is will we land at a different airport and have other means to the ship ? Or is the ship at Galvestion Texas waiting on us to board ? Also if anyone has a link for cheap air flight please fill me in . Seems air flight costs more than the cruise .
Just brain dead here !!!!
again thanks a Bunches !
Fantasy 9/01/02
Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2003, 09:41 AM
Krazy Baker

Default Re: Airport in Galveston, Texas ??

We lived in Houston for 5 years and the only airports close unless it's a little landing strip on Galveston is Houston Hobby Airport and or what was called Intercontinental Airport but now I think that one is George Bush Airport. Hobby is definately closer to Galveston than the other. I'm sure you will have to get some kind of transportation to Galveston. It's about 45 miles I think.

Hope this helps out. We lived there back in 1982-1987. I'm sure things have changed.

Kat
Old February 23rd, 2003, 09:45 AM
Admiral

KrazyBaker - NOTHING has changed. That's why I wish we could move from here!

The two airports are Houston Hobby (about 45 minutes to the pier) and Bush Intercontinental (about and hour and a half).

Bush may be cheaper because it is a larger airport, but Hobby is closer.

There is a smaller airport called Ellington Field, (was a military base) but I have found the prices to be higher and it is still about 45 minutes to Galveston.

Use airport codes IAH (that is Bush - the farthest) or HOU (hobby airport)

You will have to find a way to the airport, limo, taxi, friend (if you know someone in the area).

go to Galveston Website and there are lots of links to transportation, food, etc.

Post Edited (02-23-03 09:46)
Old February 23rd, 2003, 04:23 PM
Krazy Baker

Thanks Carole & Johnny. But I would think living in Vegas would be great. Especially for the weather. Unfortunately when we were there, we didn't have cruise lines using Galveston. At least none of the big ones.

Just for a little note, If you have to stay over in Houston, there is a GREAT restaurant called Papasito's on Richmond street. They have the best beef and lobster fajitas.
We really miss this place.

Kat or Krazy Baker
Old February 26th, 2003, 11:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

Living in Texas and visiting both Galveston and Houston often I can tell you the best thing to do is, if possible fly into Hobby (Houston) and get transfer from cruise line to pier. If you're going in a day or two early then one thought might be renting a car in Houston and leaving it in Galveston.