Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old February 27th, 2003, 04:52 PM
lysolq

Default HELP! Getting hosed on airfare!

Thinking of booking a trans-Canal cruise from San Diego to Ft. Lauderdale, cruise only. Hoped to use frequent flyer miles to fly first class from Newark to San Diego, then Ft. Lauderdale back to Newark, and having one heck of a time doing so. None of the airlines considers this flight arrangement to be "open jaw" because the middle leg of the trip (San Diego - Ft. Lauderdale) is onboard a ship and not on a plane.

We've totally given up on using miles - it's a lost cause altogether. However, even if we're willing to pay for the tickets, we are being told by United, Continental, American and Delta that we have to purchase two separate one-way tickets (Newark - San Diego; Ft. Lauderdale - Newark), at approximately $1800 each! That comes to $7200 in airfare for both of us. Even if we're willing to travel coach and use miles to upgrade to first, we will still have to purchase two one-way coach tickets at equally outrageous fares.

We've cruised out of one port and returned to another several times in the past and have never had this problem. Would appreciate some feedback from anyone who has had a similar experience. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thank you.
Old February 27th, 2003, 05:14 PM
Admiral

Default Re: HELP! Getting hosed on airfare!

Geeez Louise! ! ! That's Highway.............er, Airway robbery!

Try some of the budget airlines, you know the ones that have jumper cables dangling out of the cockpit window. <grin>

Regards,
Thomas
Old February 27th, 2003, 06:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Expedia show Newark to San Diego lowest $283 and
Ft. Lauderdale to Newark...lowest $141. I love Expedia
Hope this helps!!
Old February 27th, 2003, 06:32 PM
Passenger

Well, it has been a long time since I was a travel agent, but here goes my view.

Unfortunately, because of the distance between your arrival airport and the departure airport are so far apart, it isn't considered an open-jaw ticket. That is why they are charging you for two one-way tickets. In all actuallity, that is what you are needing.

Look into booking two round trip tickets and just not using your return flights. Or perhaps you can book a ticket with three legs of travel...EWR-SDG/SDG-FLL/FLL-EWR.
Try calling a travel agent instead of dealing directly with the airlines. They'll have some suggestions for you I"m sure.

You might be able to find something cheaper that way.

Good luck.

Dale
Old February 27th, 2003, 06:34 PM
seabee

I have found that it is often cheaper to go with the cruise lines air arrangements when booking cruises that are not round-trip. You might try that.
Old February 27th, 2003, 08:06 PM
AR

By definition, your trip is an open jaw (you're not obliged to tell the airline that you're taking the intermediate hop by ship, nor is it any of their business, nor does it affect the fares or rules).

I believe that what you're up against are the frequent flyer rules of the airlines, which typically allow one stopover, but not an open jaw. They are very different things--Newark to Chicago to LA to Newark would be a round trip with a stopover. And, the rules specifically state that a "ticket" may be round trip or one way. Therefore, to do an open jaw on FF miles usually means two tickets for each person.

As far as the price is concerned, the major thing that's killing you is going first class. People who don't typically fly business or first often don't realize how incredibly expensive the tickets are. In all honesty, the way to make the price reasonable is to settle for coach, preferably on a low-fare airline (or airlines) that sell one-way tickets. Examples are Southwest, AirTran, jetBlue, etc. You may have to run up to LAX or John Wayne, use a different NY airport and maybe even a different Florida airport, but that's the kind of juggling you have to do for low fares.

AR
Old February 27th, 2003, 08:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I would check on air from the cruise line in this situation. First off, in these instances I normally find the cruise air is cheaper.... and they do occassionally offer some deals on business air upgrades.

Regards,
Kuki

Old February 27th, 2003, 09:37 PM
Admiral

I have booked open jaw tickets using FF miles twice and had no problem doing it. Did Panama Canal from FLL to LA and flew from NY to FLL and then home from LA to NY on FF miles using just miles for one flight. This was with USAir. Don't know about any of the other airlines. But I have to agree with Kuki, usually Cruise Air is cheaper when the ship starts in one place and ends in another.

Carnival Glory
Old February 28th, 2003, 07:13 AM
Admiral

I agree with what's been said. You will probably do better with cruise air. Then you can pay for deviation if you don't like the flights.
Old February 28th, 2003, 07:41 AM
Admiral

When Gram and I did this cruise (San Diego to Ft Lauderdale) it was one of the few times that we used cruise line airfare. We had a one stop flight out on Southwest and a direct return on American. My recollection was that the airfare ( with transfers ) ran us about $500 each from NY to SanDiego and Florida to NY. I would DEFINATELY check that option.
Old March 1st, 2003, 07:10 AM
John L.

I responded once before but it got dropped. Here I go again. We are doing the Spirit on 4/l with opposite route as you. I purchased my airfare in Nov/Dec from Air Tran and America West from/to Philly. My fare to Miami was $85 pp and return from San Diego for $285 pp. The leg back also includes a 3 night stop over at Las Vegas in the fare. I don't think these airlines go to Newark but if not it is only a hour and a half down the turnpike to #l and 95. My b-in-l stays prior night at Comfort Inn and parks free until return. They have free shuttle to airport (5 minutes away). I got my tickets on web through their site. I never travel ed America West before but have Air Tran about 3 times with no problem, in fact, great service. Might be late to get tickets but worth the try...

John L.