Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old March 1st, 2003, 07:44 AM
First Mate

Default Cruise Travel Magazine...rip off

I received my copy of Cruise Travel magazine today. I do not think I will be renewing that subscription. The magazine is only 58 pages...of that 28 pages are advertisements. For 6 dollars the cost of this magazine, I can add a few dollars to that and buy a book on cruiseing.
What do you all think?
Mary Margaret
Old March 1st, 2003, 07:53 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Cruise Travel Magazine...rip off

I am ROFLMAO Mary. It's so funny you brought this up. The other day I was waiting in the lounge area of a tire retailer getting new tires on my car. The only magazines on the table were women's magazines, i.e. Elle, Glamour, etc. I picked up one of them which nearly broke my shoulder it was so thick. After a cursory inspection of it I got the idea of counting how many pages of the "manual" were ads versus article. I never got to the end, my car was ready first.

Regards,
Thomas
Old March 1st, 2003, 08:13 AM
Admiral

Mary Margaret..Thomas is right....it seems every magazine I pick up is all advertising. I guess that is the name of the game for the publishers.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old March 1st, 2003, 08:21 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Cruise Travel Magazine...rip off

I don't know how a magazine can go broke. They are getting paid on both ends. What a deal !

Regards,
Thomas
Old March 1st, 2003, 08:37 AM
Admiral

Maybe that's the solution. We could publish a magazine to fund our cruising habits Thomas. :-)

Carnival Glory
Old March 1st, 2003, 08:45 AM
Admiral

I'm there. Great idea.

Regards,
Thomas
Old March 1st, 2003, 09:18 AM
susancruzs

AND, if you try to drop a subscription, they bug you worse than telemarketers, by phone and flood your mailbox with offers!!! :-)

I've cancelled everything except CT and now that you mention it, next on my list!

Susie
Old March 1st, 2003, 09:54 AM
Admiral

Susie,,,why bother canceling ,,,It never comes,,,,,Since I have subscribed to it 6 mos ago,,,,I have only received 2 magazines. I was just getting ready to call them,,,,when suprise,,,guess what came in the mail Thursday.

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old March 1st, 2003, 03:09 PM
Evelyn Richardson

I too was shocked at how very thin my copy of Cruise Travel was, not to menion that the magazine is never concerned with any thing but praise , praise , praise. No line or ship ever has a bad point. Everything on board is just "wonderful"

The articles never even mention the kind of cabin most of us have, the ordinary, regular run of the mill cabin, the writer of the piece ALWAYS has a Penthouse or a suite with verandah and usually a butler. and that is all the pictures show also.

As for renewing my subscription, I have had a notice that my sub was running out when it still had 13 months to go!

Like you I will not be renewing when my present sub runs out
Old March 1st, 2003, 06:07 PM
cruzincat

Six dollars an issue? I just renewed my subscription for 3 years and only paid $38.95! Thats just $2.16 an issue..

I have been a subscriber for almost 3 years now and have only missed one issue. I called them about that and they immediately sent out another copy.

Its true that sometimes they are a little thin and the articles are very complimentary, but in the letters to the editor, there are usually the complaints you want to hear about.

I'm still a happy subscriber at this time, but it could change with poor performance on the mags part, at which time I will surely let them know my feelings of discontent.

Cruzincat
Old March 1st, 2003, 06:21 PM
Admiral

I'm also renewed for another three years... I haven't yet missed an issue [knock on wood]. Yes, they are a little thin, but I still find them fun to read. Just wish they came out every month instead of every two months.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Old March 1st, 2003, 06:40 PM
Admiral

I have been a subscriber for a dozen years or so and have commented before on how thin the mag. has become. In another few years, they will just probably sent out a small folded up pamphlet.
Cruise travel used to be my favorite mag. but I seriously doubt I will renew when the time comes.

There is a mag. called "Porthole" that , when started , was a good cruise magazine but it fast went to all advertisements and I never even look at one now if I see it on the rack.

Caribbean Travel and Life is a good one, but it too is becoming thinner and has more ads all the time. Guess I'll just start looking at my old photo albums and save money.
Old March 1st, 2003, 08:32 PM
Admiral

Can I get more opinions on Porthole magazine? We get CT, CN, Nat Geo Traveler. Picked up Porthole just to look at last issue. Mixed with the ads were some interesting articles. How does it stack up? Worth subscribing too?

thanks,

"Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero"

Horace

Seven Seas Explorer - Miami - Venice - Mar 2017

Silverseas Explorer - Arctic - Aug 2017

Seven Seas Voyager - Rome to Beijing - Oct 2017

Seven Seas Mariner - Lima to Buenos Aires - Jan 2018

Silverseas Explorer - Siberia - Jul 2018

Seven Seas Mariner - Australia Circumnavigation - Dec 2018
Old March 1st, 2003, 08:59 PM
Admiral

My husband never leaves home without it (his CT magazine) He takes it in his bag with his lunch to work, he takes it in the car when he picks me up at the station, he takes it to the donut shop for coffee, he takes it to the loo, I think he memorizes it cover to cover. I don't think he's ever complained about the ads, but |'ll mention it to him.

donna