Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 1st, 2003, 09:22 AM
Admiral

Default Poll... Snow or No snow???

Portland, Oregon has had an extremely mild winter. There has not been one flake of snow on the valley floor this year. In fact, we have gotten very little rain as well. most winters we get at least a little snow and once in a while we get boatloads of snow.

Anyway, I miss the winter weather this year and keep reading about other North American cities with more snow than they can shovel. It just isn't fair.
Did your city have much snow this year? How do you feel about snow?

I, for one, love snow!
Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2003, 09:27 AM
susancruzs

Default Re: Poll... Snow or No snow???

I am very sure most people on the east coast are tired of me whining about the Chicago area and our "snowless" winter. Strangest winter I've every seen, way colder than normal and usually that doesn't happen without a snow cover, too wierd.

I've always liked a few snow storms and this year none. Plus I must admit I wanted to gloat a little to my friends at VW, that I didn't have to drive 18 miles through ice and snow this winter! No reason to call and gloat, no snow!!!

Susie
Old March 1st, 2003, 09:31 AM
Admiral

Chuck, I knew I liked you for a reason! I LOVE SNOW TOO!!!!
I don't want a blizzard or anything but I would love to see a few weeks of snow around here. It is not winter without the white stuff, and I don't even remember the last time I had a white Christmas!

We don't get snow here. Just lots of rain or lots of heat.

Chuck, Have you found that badge yet? () ((((((((HUG)))))))

Post Edited (03-01-03 09:31)
Old March 1st, 2003, 09:45 AM
Admiral

Still looking for the badge.......... It has to be just the right one you know! ;0)
Old March 1st, 2003, 09:47 AM
Admiral

The only snow I want to see is the stuff under my skiis in Colorado.

You keep the snow wherever you like it. And to me it's winter when the palm trees are blowing in the southerly direction.

Regards,
Thomas
Old March 1st, 2003, 10:16 AM
Admiral

Well....I would say we don't get snow here in the Phoenix area, but that's not 100% true. Every few years we do get a little bit. I remember that the Phoenix Open Golf Tournament was even snowed out, or at least delayed a few hours, a few years back. It might even have been during the last El Niño. A couple of days ago there was a little bit of snow in the Carefree area at the very north end of our valley. BUT, in general, this is not a snow zone, and for that I am very thankful! When we go to northern Arizona, where it really snows, to visit my parents, I'm outta there as soon as the flakes begin to fall. They get a lot of snow, and it's 30 miles before you drop off the rim and down into warmer weather, and I don't like having to come home slipping and sliding for those 30 miles, so I try to leave before it begins to stick. No, I don't miss the snow!

Old March 1st, 2003, 10:47 AM
Admiral

I like snow, too--until 12:00 Noon, December 25. After that, I want palm trees and bikinis. If anyone wants this white stuff, please come and claim it. I can't afford to ship it to you, though I gladly would.

Steve
Old March 1st, 2003, 12:30 PM
Dean Renner

Chuck,

I'm with you -- I love a snowstorm or two during the winter!

I don't know how long you've lived here, but when I was a youngster (mid-1960's), we used to have occassionally 1 to 2 feet of snow. The neighborhood looked spectacular in it's winter coat!

And it was very quiet out at night, as the snow would muffle the noise. I remember going for walks out in the snow at night (not needing a flashlight!) and enjoying the very peaceful feeling.

So bring on the white stuff!

Dean
Old March 1st, 2003, 01:07 PM
susancruzs

I'm back and I still want the white stuff! Just heard the winds are supposed to pick up tomorrow and the overnight temperature (not wind chill) between -5 and -10!

Snow is better than all these frigid temps, tomorrow will be another day to stay home and babysit my mobile home and hope pipes don't freeze! I have heat tapes for the water lines for both bathrooms, still makes me nervous when it gets real windy + cold.

Susie
Old March 1st, 2003, 02:22 PM
Admiral

OK, all of you who actually like this disgusting white stuff, head on over!

We have had more snow this year, I can't see the shrubbery, and we are out of places to put it.

We are in Western Maryland.

Come on over !
Old March 1st, 2003, 05:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

In northern Minnesota we have had very little snow. I'm sure the grand total hasn't been more than 8-10" and currently we have maybe 2" on the ground. Even the grass is sticking through the snow. VERY unusual for here. The few "real" snows have gone south of us into the Twin Cities area. Why does this sound like whining? Because without the snowcover as an insulating blanket the water and sewer lines here are freezing up everywhere - frost is 5-6' deep and going deeper. Low temps tonight of minus 15-20 degrees.

Oh yeah, I do like snow - so I can enjoy a winter cruise in the Caribbean that much MORE!
Old March 1st, 2003, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Snow is nice to visit but I wouldn't wanna live there.

Cheers from sunny Florida,
Michelle B.

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Old March 1st, 2003, 08:16 PM
Admiral

I like two feet of snow when I'm in Guatemala.

Pamda, waiting for the spring thaw.
Old March 1st, 2003, 09:06 PM
Admiral

We're used to alot of snow here In Montreal, but this year we haven't had much. We've had unusually long periods of sub-freezing temperatures though, I'm sick of it! We are supposed to get snow tomorrow. I'm hoping for a big one to close schools and work for Monday! (Just lazy I guess).
Donna

Old March 1st, 2003, 09:39 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Here in Milwaukee we are in the same boat as Susie, Mike M, rollerdonna, etc. WE have maybe had about 15 inches of snow this winter - but it has been unusually cold for longer periods of time (but when there is a snow cover with clear skies the temps drop even more, so I guess I have something to be thankful about.) The only problem is that we are now in a moderate drought classification, and water levels on all area lakes is almost at or below record lows (and this includes Lake Michigan.) So, unless we get some good rain this spring, we are in big trouble!

Old March 2nd, 2003, 08:51 AM
Passenger

The year before I moved to Florida we had 26" of the white stuff. The only form of transportation was snowmobile. I have been here almost 30 years and couldn't care less if I saw it again. I know that alot of people like it but to each his own. Happy Cruising

Lisa

Tampa, Fl