Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 2nd, 2003, 08:33 AM
Admiral

Default Just for fun - my honeymoon cruise - too many choices!

In case you're bored this weekend... just thought I'd list all the choices I'm trying to sort through for my honeymoon cruise. Thought my fellow cruise addicts might enjoy reading about them.

We definitely won't book until midsummer, but it's so much fun to do the research, so I'm already looking into it all. The only restrictions are that the cruise must be round trip from Florida, since Mark refuses to fly. We're also trying to avoid cruises that go over Christmas due to pricing. (Wedding is 12/13.)

Anyway, here are the choices, in no particular order... now you can understand my dilemma:

* Princess' Grand Princess - 7 nights. 2 sea days. Western itinerary. Ports are Princess Cays, Bahamas; Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands; Majahual, Mexico; Cozumel, Mexico.

* Holland America Oosterdam - 7 nights. 2 sea days. Western itinerary. Ports are Key West; Cozumel, Mexico; Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands; Half Moon Cay, Bahamas.

* Celebrity Millennium - 7 nights. 2 sea days. Eastern itinerary. Ports are San Juan, Puerto Rico; Isla Catalina, Dominican Republic; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; Nassau, Bahamas.

* Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas - 7 nights. 2 sea days. Western itinerary. Ports are Belize City, Belize; Costa Maya, Mexico; Cozumel, Mexico; George Town, Grand Cayman.

* Carnival Paradise - 7 nights. 2 sea days. Western itinerary. Ports are Belize City, Belize; Roatan, Honduras; Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands; Cozumel, Mexico.

* Holland America Maasdam - 7 nights. 1 sea day. Eastern itinerary. Ports are Half Moon Cay, Bahamas; Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos Islands; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; Nassau, Bahamas.

* Carnival Legend - 8 nights. 4 sea days. Western itinerary. Ports are Belize City, Belize; Limon, Costa Rica; Colon, Panama.

* Carnival Spirit - 8 nights. 4 sea days. Eastern itinerary. Ports are St. Maarten/St. Martin; Bridgetown, Barbados; Martinique.

* Carnival Victory - 7 nights. 3 sea days. Eastern itinerary. Ports are San Juan, Puerto Rico; St. Maarten/St. Martin; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas.

* Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas - 7 nights. 2 sea days. Western itinerary. Ports are Key West; Cozumel, Mexico; Costa Maya, Mexico; George Town, Grand Cayman.

* Norwegian’s Norwegian Sun - 7 nights. 2 sea days. Western itinerary. Ports are Montego Bay, Jamaica; George Town, Grand Cayman; Costa Maya, Mexico; Cozumel, Mexico.

* Norwegian’s Norway - 7 nights. 3 sea days. Eastern itinerary. Ports are St. Martin/St. Maarten; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas.

* Radisson Seven Seas Mariner - 3 nights. 0 sea days. Ports are Nassau, Bahamas; Key West.

* Radisson Seven Seas Voyager – 6 nights. 1 sea day. Western itinerary. Ports are Cozumel, Mexico; Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands; Key West (overnight).

So there it is. Prices are all similar except the last one, which is rather out of our budget. Just thought you’d all enjoy seeing my many choices. Comments/suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2003, 08:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Just for fun - my honeymoon cruise - too many choices!

Gosh Michelle, that is a lot of choices. I'm sure some of our experienced CruiseMates will be able to help you narrow your list down.

Old March 2nd, 2003, 08:57 AM
susancruzs

Boy, Michelle, hard to choose! I think I would go for one of the new ships, but that is probably because I've been on the old ones!!!

Also, I think I'd go with the "quieter" choices simply because you will be doing so much before your wedding trying to get ready, the wedding itself, seeing lots of people you haven't seen for awhile, etc., etc.! Holland America, Celebrity, Radisson!

Of course, I have no personal experience, never married, but I know you enjoyed your Celebrity cruise so maybe lean in that direction!

Susie
Old March 2nd, 2003, 08:59 AM
Admiral

Well, Michelle, I think you're going to absolutely love any one of those cruises because it is going to be your honeymoon. That being said, however, I personally just love San Juan and I'd pick one of the itineraries that stops there, as long as you get to be there in the daylight. I have also heard that HAL's Half Moon Cay is the most beautiful private island of all the cruise lines, so that might be a consideration too. Have fun these next few months "what if"ing. That's a good part of the fun of a cruise!

Old March 2nd, 2003, 09:29 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I would choose either the HAL or Celebrity cruises with Princess and Royal Caribbean next. Of course if money was no object the 6 night Radisson Seven Seas Voyager would be my choice (especially for a back to back! lol)

Old March 2nd, 2003, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Hmmm.

Of course the pricey one would have to be my favorite ... and the idea of an overnight in Key West is somewhat attractive.

The Victory is the itinerary that appeals most to me (you can spend the day on St. John rather than St. Thomas).

The Norway is beginning to show her age and is required to tender at St. Thomas.

I agree with Jenn that San Juan is a terrific port if you have a daytime there.

Just back from Belize and wouldn't put it at the top of a desirable port list. Keep in mind that the Bahamas can be quite chilly in December.

Given your list, I'd pick the Millennium.
Old March 2nd, 2003, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Wow! Too ,many choices! I would have to say Maasdam, cuz that's where I spent MY honeymoon last year (there are photos somewhere in the photo gallery) Avery classy ship, and we as honeymooners were spoiled and pampered beyond belief. Good luck with your choices!

Donna

Old March 2nd, 2003, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Michelle:

I actually had two overnights in Key West. It sure is nice to have the overnight. You can watch the sunset celebration from your balcony sipping champagne and snacking on caviar. Then have a wonderful Cordon Bleu meal. Then bar hop down Duval street. One of our shipmates didn't make it back to the ship until 4am.

Of couse, I am partial to the Voyager. In terms of ports/sea days, I prefer Spirits itinerary. If you are planning on just staying on ship and be pampered, go with the Voyager.

Word of advice. Voyager will sell out quickly from the bottom. There are only 10 Cat H suites. I have 664 for both of my upcoming cruises. If prices go down, they will pass the price decrease to everyone. If this is your choice, book now. If you think it might be your choice, book now and cancel later if necessary.

Michelle, if you are serious about Voyager, let me know. We hit those ports on Seven Seas Mariner this December so I can provide you with some extra info.

Post Edited (03-02-03 11:53)

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old March 2nd, 2003, 01:36 PM
imlulu

If I was going on my honeymoon I would do the Millenium. Celebrity is perfect for couples. None of the mainstream lines does it better. We did the Fantasy when it was a brand new ship(a few months old) for our honeymoon and then a few days at the Intercontinental. That was fantastic. A cruise is what you make it. However if it was just dh and I travelling we would do Celebrity. Have a great time deciding.
Old March 2nd, 2003, 04:04 PM
Admiral

I would choose the Grand Princess (or Princess in general), Then Holland America or Royal Caribbean, then maybe Celebrity. Princess is my favorite.
I would NOT take a 3 day cruise. MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH too short.

Old March 2nd, 2003, 04:16 PM
Admiral

ALL of the above. Book one for your honeymoon, and the other 13 for your Anniversaries!

But for the honeymoon cruise. Hmmm. If memory serves me correctly you have already cruised on the Millennium. If it were ME, I would choose a different cruise line, or at least a different ship, and a different itinerary than your first cruise.

The RSSC Voyager would certainly be special for a honeymoon. But even though I love Key West, I know you've been there on several land vacations, so the overnight stay there wouldn't influence me that much. And it's only 6 nights instead of 7.

The Carnival Legend and Spirit are both new ships AND 8 nights. Different itineraries.

I think Mike M hinted at another deciding factor to consider. Suite rates. Take a look at which ships have good fares for suites and/or aft balconies. Maybe a sweet deal could help you decide.

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?
Old March 2nd, 2003, 06:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Wow Michelle, lots of choices is right.

I guess the items to ask yourself are some of the following.
1. Are you and Mark port intensive people.
2. Do you like sea days and prefer 50% ports and 50% sea time.
3. Is a larger stateroom important.
4. Balcony important.
5. Itinerary of ports. Shopping/ sightseeing/ history, etc.
6. Cruiseline, one over the other and quality of service.
7. Ammenities that the cruiseline/ ship has to offer.
8. Shipborad entertainment.

Radisson is all inclusive.
HAL on a Cat A or B has 284 sq ft cabins.
Then as Mike M said a Suite (You only go for that first honeymoon once in a lifetime).
You have sailed Celebrty and Carnival so you have a comparison to start.

Now that I have completly confused you, good luck with your research and ask ;lots of questions.

Old March 3rd, 2003, 10:23 AM
Admiral

Thanks for the opinions everyone... I knew I'd get as many different opinions as responses, but it's still interesting and helpful to hear everyone's take on it. At least I've still got several months to decide.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium