Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 12th, 2003, 12:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default POLL- Cruise prices DROPPING- Air going UP?

A reader suggested this poll question ( I guess a bit shy about posting it themselves)

[b]Because of the stress of the unstable political situation the world is in we've been seeing cruise prices dropping through the floor, but oddly air prices seem to be rising rather that falling, and the possibility of yet higher prices seems probable with the rising fuel costs.

So the question... If you have a cruise booked later this year, would you be purchasing your air now, to avoid further increases or would you wait and hope they come down closer to your sailing date?[b]

Post Edited (03-12-03 11:55)
Old March 12th, 2003, 12:57 PM
Admiral

Default Re: POLL- Cruise prices DROPPING- Air going UP?

n/a

<G>, I love Florida.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Old March 12th, 2003, 01:13 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I always check air fare after I book a cruise......when I see a good fare, I snatch it up!

Old March 12th, 2003, 01:14 PM
Admiral

I agree with my buddy Michelle!

But I am NOT seeing the summer prices dropping on cruises. I've been watching one particular cruise since last November and the price is actually going UP!

Regards,
Thomas
Old March 12th, 2003, 01:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

Keep in mind. Your resources. If you see a Cruise with an affordable price tag, hop on it and book. If you see an airline ticket price that suits your budget grap it. If the price goes down bite the bullet. If the price goes up then you are ahead of the game.

Ray

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old March 12th, 2003, 02:21 PM
David Starkey

We are booking our cruises now to get the cabin we want (it does make a difference to us) and also doing our own air. Our major concern at this point is what airlines will be left(not going bankrupt) and how much will airline scheduals change or be reduced as flights are cancelled. We have seen airline fares rise in our part of the country significantly over the last 2-3 months. Southwest is not an option where we live and the normal prices we are paying now are 25-50% more than before 9/11. We travel every week (for business) so we keep up with airfares and promotions and are frequent flyers. I wonder what we will do when our carrier goes under and we are left with almost a million miles for the carriers frequent flyer program.? We are trying to use them, but getting the specific flight or day seems to be more difficult than ever. Many of the prefered flights we have tried to book even 6 months in advance did not have space availible on that flight.(not to mention the airlines have reduced the number of flights to choice from.) We have had to resort to "red eye" flights for cross-country flights.
Old March 12th, 2003, 03:10 PM
Robin101

We booked our cruise, then used our earned airline miles. But those have limitations also. The only flight we could get was 4 days before cruise and 2 days after. Gee...I hate when that happens.

Old March 12th, 2003, 04:44 PM
susancruzs

I already grabbed a decent fare for my Sept. cruise, because flights were filling up and I love Midwest Express out of Milwaukee!!! Milwaukee to Orlando was 230, I think, no more than that so I didn't even try O'Hare! For one week, I can park in Milwaukee and not risk life and limb.

Actually though, I need to go to Phoenix May 3rd for a wedding and was surprised at the airfares, less than $ 200, no stops, United and American. This time Midwest Express was way higher so I'm waiting until I get back and hope I don't get burned. If they go way up, I'll see if I can use my Visa points, I'm due for a round trip ticket but I'll probably have to stay longer than originally planned. Gee, too bad, right???

Susie
Old March 12th, 2003, 06:15 PM
Admiral

I think the online internet sites are playing games with airfares. I checked a flight to Philly on Sunday and found a non-stop for $684. I went to book it and found the return flight unacceptable so I cancelled the flight and went to select again with a different return flight. On the next click of the mouse button the same flight was now $971 ! ! In less than 30 seconds it went up about $300. I closed down that internet site and clicked on another. The airfare on the other site was $681 until I went to book it and got hung up. I backed out of that site and reloaded and guess what? Yep. The airfare was now $978 for that flight.

I think their computers are set to flag people who are looking for last minute flights (business travelers) and jack the price up as soon as they can.

It smells fishy to me.

I waited until the next day and went through the booking from my home computer and got the flight for the original $684.

Regards,
Thomas
Old March 12th, 2003, 11:55 PM
Admiral

Thomas,,,,,,,,,

I think the airlines were playing games on Sunday,,,,,,,,, I am looking for airfare to Antigua for May,,,have been looking for awhile,,,on Sat it dropped $ 65.00 but on Sunday it went up 95.00 Now tonight its back down again. I'm holding out awhile longer. Hope they don't go bankrupt,

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old March 13th, 2003, 12:12 AM
Admiral

And if if you don't call me from Philly, Thomas, I have a room already prepared for you.
Old March 13th, 2003, 10:24 AM
Passenger

I don't book that far in advance. I look for last minute cruise & air fare deals. If I travel it's usally within 3-4 months of booking. I'm glad I booked my air travel the same day I booked my cruise, my airfare has gone up over $200.