Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 13th, 2003, 08:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default My camera is gone!

No, my camera isn't gone but I would like to know if anybody has had any experiences with hotel staff or cruise line staff theft problems. Also, we're going to Montego Bay, the city with the bad reputation. Need input!
Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2003, 09:04 AM
Passenger

Default Re: My camera is gone!

I plan on taking one time use cameras,if someone steals one all I'll be out off are a few bucks & my photos. If you are taking a digital camera I would put it in the safe or safe deposit box. I will also make sure I lock my luggage when I leave my room or cabin.

Happy sailing
Old March 13th, 2003, 09:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Never had any problems with anything being missing, just use common sense when traveling and when going to beaches etc, take along a disposal underwater camera.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 13th, 2003, 09:47 AM
Nanatravel.

Personally we have never had a problem but have experienced tablemates who Lost a camera. Once, I left ours on the table in a ship's lounge only to discover it missing the next day. An honest employee had returned it to Lost and Found. The tablemates left their camera in the theater and weren't so lucky as it was never turned in. Recently, on the morning of embarkation, someone commented on one of these many forums, that he had been a vicitim of theft. His carry on's were packed, draws, closet and safe cleaned out. As they were going off to breakfast before disembarkation, they spoke with the steward, who said "it was OK to leave their stuff in the cabin while they went for breakfast, which included their good camera". When they were off ship, they noticed they had been robbed of the camera and other valuables. The message here is to take valuables with you like jewelry, money, tickets, camera's or keep them locked up.

s
Old March 13th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Admiral

I've only had two problems.

One was a new digital camera which disappeared in the lobby of a Very Expensive hotel, pre-trip. I take the blame because a bunch of us had stayed up late and the pix that were taken were being enjoyed by the early-to-bed gang so it was obvious that I had the camera. Lesson: Don't Advertise.

The second was on a ship. A small ring that I almost always wear (my granmother's wedding ring) went missing. My sister and I crawled all over the cabin looking for it. It could have been lost anywhere, but we checked the cabin (including the tub drain) first. I reported it to lost and found. Four days later, Missy looked down at the floor. "Pam! Your ring!" It was in plain view and in a place that SHOULD have been vacuumed daily. I have no explanation for that.

On the plus side, one day a cabin steward scuttled up to me on the pool deck., a place where they are not supposed to be. I often take my rings off at night. I'd forgotten to put them back on. He was looking around in a furtive fashion, and just put the rings into my hand. WOW but did HE get a good tip !!!

Tips:

Men should not carry their wallets in their backpockets.

Fanny packs should always be worn on the front, not the fanny.

Ladies' purses should have straps and be worn cross-wise.

Have a long lanyard on your small camera and loop it around a belt loop. Carry it in your pocket. Just make sure the landyard is long enought that you can USE the camera.

When in a portside restaurant, either put everything on the table in front of you or put a chair leg inside pocketbook and camera straps. An acquaintance recently had a pocketbook stolen when she slung it over a chair back.

If you are carrying significant cash ashore, put it in a lady's bra or the "condom pocket" of a gent's boxer shorts.

For the truly paranoid, don't use the cabin safe. Instead, use a box at the Purser's desk.

Don't show big wads of money and leave the expensive jewelry at home.
Old March 13th, 2003, 11:15 AM
Beginner

Ok, well I haven't seen those kind of boxer shorts that pamda mentioned. Can someone fill me in on them?

Old March 13th, 2003, 04:51 PM
Familiar Face

Location: Indiana in the middle of a farmer's former cornfield.

My camera is gone! This is what happened to us on a recent cruise. After this experience I would advice people to be careful whom they trust and that everything is not as it seems. The report I made to HAL follows. I just deleted some of the names.

Report to HAL on 02/10/03:

Attached you will find the report of our "lost" camera which occurred aboard the Zaandam on Friday evening, Feb 07, 2003. This happened in the Ocean Bar where we went before and after dinner each evening to dance to the music of the Trio Montreal. The routine for the week was basically the same. We where late diners, 8:15 P.M. The servers knew us and our camera. They gave us no reason not to trust them or anyone in the Ocean Bar. They took photos of us all week as well as videos. They admired the camera and I told them where I got it and how much I paid for it, $1,247.00.

The evening in question we attended the late diners final stage show, which was at 6:30 and then went to the ocean bar afterwards. This particular evening we were the last to leave the Ocean Bar. A couple we knew from our dining table stopped at our table, which is located in the middle of the bar. We usually had the same table each and every time for pre-diner. We always waited for X from the dining room to come by ringing the dinner chimes. He was a couple of minutes late because people where stopping him to talk since it was their last evening aboard ship. We left together with the other couple. I noticed when we were having desert that I had left the camera, however, I did not rush to the Ocean Bar right then because we knew when we left the servers started cleaning the table as they have done the entire week. They would simply hold the camera until we returned after dinner. To our surprise when we returned and they said they did not find a camera, I knew something bad was happening. We checked lost and found to no avail and checked with the other servers and other bar staff. No camera. We asked for one of the servers we did not see and they said that person had the remainder of the evening off and returned to their cabin. We knew this was especially odd as we saw that person serving and spoke to them later in the evening.

We went to the pursers desk to inform them we now considered the camera stolen and not lost. They where very reluctant to make out a report. Only under my continued insistent did they make one. I asked to speak to security and they claimed that was not necessary. The following morning I insisted on seeing security and they informed me that was not possible. I then went to the desk and asked to see the Captain. They then went out and found the Officer in charge of security and I spoke with him. He agreed that whom ever cleaned off the table should have spotted the camera and stated he would do a thorough investigation. I told him I was not accusing any individuals I was just giving him my first hand account of the incident. In fact, we tipped four individuals from the Ocean Bar for the great service they gave all week. This was prior to us leaving to go to diner.

Some other thoughts I pointed out to security: The servers all said the same thing, a passenger must have taken the camera. I said how could that be, they would not sit at a table with empty glasses, appetizer plates, napkins, etc., when clean tables were available. Why wouldn't our table be cleared before someone else was seated? The camera is very small and when folded up, as was the case, it did not look like a video camera, just a regular camera. Also the Ocean Bar is fairly dark and the table is quite a distant from the entrance and could not be spotted from a distance. Why did the servers of the Ocean Bar avoid us like the plague once the camera turned up missing?

This was our tenth cruise and our fifth with HAL. Maybe I am to trustworthy, however, I have never been given any reason what so ever not to be. We belong to cruise forums and cruise with groups and have cruised other lines, such as Carnival, RCI, & Celebrity. When we cruise alone, however, we always cruise HAL. We feel particularly violated as we lost over 90 digital photos of our cruise as well as video taken while I parasailed Half Moon Cay. I sure do not want to believe all of this good service was just to win our confidence and take advantage of us. It definitely leaves a bad taste in our mouths.

Keith & Rita Ann

Fast dancing is the second best form of exercise,
slow dancing leads to the first!
Old March 13th, 2003, 05:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Not a camera.. but I lost Mrs Kuki twice.
This last time I called the Chief Engineer and reported it as soon as I noticed her missing. He suggested I call the Purser's desk.
I told them I did that last time, but they found her and brought her back.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 13th, 2003, 05:55 PM
Yeoman

Had 2 unfortunate travel experiences Had a beautiful antique cameo pin stolen out of my luggage in the hotel room, which was a 5 star hotel in Rio. Also left luggage with the desk clerk at a 5 star hotel in NYC,as my daughter and I had an overnight flight to Europe and we wanted to sightsee during the day. I asked for a claim check but was told "we don't issue claim checks, just come back and pick up your luggage. My luggage was there but my daughters garment bag with all new clothes was gone. Learned the hard way!!!
Old March 13th, 2003, 10:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

We had cash stolen out of luggage in hotel room in Chicago area. It was Christmas, and we were young and broke-- so our parents gave us cash. We didn't want to go out with cash, so we left in luggage, locked, under our bed. The cash was stolen, but other valuables were left. Hotel did not want to call the police late at night, but we insisted. '

I had a close call in Frankfurt. I put my purse down for a security check and forgot to pick it up! DUH. I remembered it about an hour later -- and it was still there. Security personnel had not picked it up and neither had the bad guy. I sure learned to be more alert.