Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 17th, 2003, 12:23 PM
First Mate

Default Question About Tendering?

Hi All,

I'll be leaving in a few weeks for the Grand. This will be my first time to the Western Carib and all but one of the ports will require a Tender or "possible tender".
Can anyone explain the procedure for me? I mean, how exactly do you get onto the Tender? Do you walk down a ramp and jump into the small boat? Is it scary?

Reason for asking these silly questions: I am young but suffer from a chronic illness which has taken away a lot of my ability to be confident about being able to balance, jump from one object to another - etc... Sometimes I am very stiff. I don't want to miss any of the ports!

I have this bet with my husband going - 50 bucks is on the line here!

I say that there is a gap between the ramp and tender where you can see the water and getting on the tender can be tricky. HE says that the ramp will go directly onto the tender, eliminating having to jump across the gap. Who wins the money!??

In either case I am sure I will be able to do this. I am sure they have people to assist and they won't let anyone just drop into the ocean! Am I correct?

Thanks All and have a great (ugh as great as a Monday can be) day!

Happy St. Patrick's Day !

I used to wear a button on this day that said Kiss Me! I'm Italian <G> I've got the corned beef and cabbage ready to roll for dinner anyway!

booking soon - 10th anniversary cruise in August....
Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2003, 12:51 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Question About Tendering?

I my experience only 2 or 3 passengers are lost at each tender port. Given that there are 2000 or more passengers, to lose 6 or 7 per cruise is not a lot.
I'm sorry, I needed to write that.
Most of the time tendering is a smooth process that works like this.
Once you are ready to get off the ship you proceed to an area where they give out tender tickets. This ensures a smooth flow of pasengers towards the tender area . You usually proceed to a lower deck where there is usually a stairscase outside the ship. At the bottom of the staircase there is a platform, about 8 x 12 feet . There will be several ships crew members to assist you in the orderly stepping accross to the tender.
If seas are calm the tender will be tied tight to the platform and you will simply step accross (no gap) . There will be a crew member holding your hand on the platform and another to take your hand when you step accross. If seas are a bit rough, you may have to time your step, but, at no time are you steppng accross or jumpng accross a giant gap between the ship and tender. I have seen elderly, handicapped , folks in wheel chairs, with walkers, canes and crutches get on and off the tender. The ship is not going to risk your safety. There is definately no leaping accross large open gaps. Not all passengers are Jackie Chan.
Shore side since there is usually no movement of the water the tender is usually tied tight against the dock and sometimes there is a dock plate or step put between.
I'm not sure who wins the bet, I'd say split the difference and spend the $ 50 on tequilla and cervesa in Cozumel.
Have no fear, you will be fine. If Gram can do it, anybody can do it.
Old March 17th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

It is as PapaBill describes....but if it is too rough, the Captain will cancel the port call.

Old March 17th, 2003, 01:24 PM
Admiral

I did it while walking with the assistance of two canes. You'll have no trouble. The ship has a dropdown ramp/door that forms a platform at the right height for the gunwale of the tender. The stairway from the ship to the platform folds flat against the door when it is closed. Given that the tenders serviced several ships of several different sizes, the height of the platform above the waterline, and the height of the tenders' gunwales must be standardized. The tenders also had moveable stiles to reach the level of the gunwale. Just follow the instructions of the crewman at the door if you have any last minute nerves and you'll be fine.

Steve

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03
Inspiration 3/04
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!
Summit 03/06 to Hawaii, Where God left his fingerprints, in memory of Margaret.
Sensation 03/07
Carnival Freedom (March 08)
\X\Mercury (January 09)
Old March 17th, 2003, 03:26 PM
First Mate

I loved your answer - the first part <EG>

Well that settles it - we split the money and use it for tequila!

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm sure I will be fine!

Deja

Old March 17th, 2003, 03:35 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Question About Tendering?

Thanks so much for the explanation. I am sure I will be ok. At home and during flare ups I sometimes am on crutches, a walker or useless! I am not bringing either with me.

Call it evil pride or something - I don't know. If I run into trouble I am sure I can find a cane or 2 somewhere. Maybe decorative with snake heads or something? lol

I know there is going to be a LOT of walking on this ship. The last one wasn't as big. I am praying that my body holds up for the week. I'll be armed with meds just in case. I am taking really good care of myself right now and resting when I can. I found I had to rest on my last cruise - and that was ok!! Rest is good!

Where is your next installment? Did I somehow miss it? It's been the best bedtime reading I can remember- and I fall asleep dreaming about my cruise!

Thanks again

Deja

Old March 17th, 2003, 03:59 PM
Admiral

The next installment is still being written. It is very slow going since I'm also researching my next cruise. Fortunately, I don't think I'll be nearly as enamored with the next ship as I was Sensation. I've already discovered something trivial to gripe about her--After all, I am a hunks and she's already given me reason to be surly.

I'm sure my trist with her will be a mere dalliance, whereas Sensation was an ongoing affair. The Enchantment has a trait that's downright sacreligious. Her cabin numbering scheme does not follow long established numbering conventions. Her even/odd numbers are according to inboard/outboard, not port/starboard. Sounds pagan to a maritime conservative like me.

Steve

Post Edited (03-17-03 16:12)

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03
Inspiration 3/04
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!
Summit 03/06 to Hawaii, Where God left his fingerprints, in memory of Margaret.
Sensation 03/07
Carnival Freedom (March 08)
\X\Mercury (January 09)
Old March 17th, 2003, 06:34 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Question About Tendering?

I was so thrilled to see that you've booked another cruise so soon! After the way you describe the Sensation I just may have to book one on her.

I never noticed the numbering scheme - that's really interesting!! This upcoming will only be my second cruise - my first was on the Carnival Spirit. I wanted to try all the major brands (well ok- some of them) before I settled into a favorite. I loved the Spirit.

I think you will be happy on Enchantment! (If you can get over that odd numbering scheme! <G>)

Congrats again! I'm waiting patiently for that next installment. I know it will be great!

Deja