Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2003, 11:12 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to Auguste
Default Hawaii versus Alaska?????

Posted on Good Morning but maybe is better seperate. What I was asking mostly how cold is it on the Pacific coast in middle of June I have a chance on a single cabin on the Summit for the San Diego to Vancouver 14 days, but only have 24 hour window, was going to book Hawaii on the Star for 7 days and 2 nights in Honolulu. Now I have been in Hawaii but never on the West Coast. Is the ship close enoughto the coast to actually see something or are they way out at sea. Also how far up the Pacific Coast would it be warm enough for Deck and B.suits? Sofar I heard alot about mist, rain coats parkas
From what I read almost all of you have been to Alaska, wich cruise the Star to Hawaii or Summit along the Pacific Coast. Thank you for your help Auguste
I know it is probably like comparing apples and oranges the price is about the same
Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2003, 11:35 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Hawaii versus Alaska?????

Auguste,

The weather is variable to say the least. I have cruise Alaska 4 times and one day I may be in shorts, next day a coat.

HOWEVER, Alaska is absolutely spectacular, there would be no question, I'd do it, the Summit is a beautiful ship (she even survived Kuki's antics last May) (I however behaved like a perfect gentlemen).

I'd vote for the Summit!
Old March 18th, 2003, 01:56 PM
Admiral

Ironically our two choices for vacation this fall were the exact cruise you are discussing on Summit (the 14 day Alaska and West coast in Sept which we reserved when we were on Summit in November )and an 11 day two island ground vacation in Hawaii.
Gram figured that this was just about the best cruise itinerary she had seen in a long time and only the lure of Hawaii could keep her from it. She has already decided that when Celebrity comes out with the 2004 itineraries she will be booking the eqivilant.
So, having had essentially the exact decision to make that you are pondering we did Hawaii. We have already booked Old Lahaina Luau and the premium package for Polynesian Cultural Center. Hotels, airfare and rental car (and travel insurance) are booked and we are set to go. We are sneaking in an 8 day on Legend on May 21 just for good measure. Good luck with your decision. (Come with us to Hawaii, maybe we can get Kuki to book a first time Cruisemates non cruise vacation).
Old March 18th, 2003, 02:04 PM
Captain

I have cruised Hawaii and Alaska both multiple times. If it was me I would pick Alaska over Hawaii anytime. Hawaii may be warmer but Alaska is far more beautiful. JMHO. Only reason I have done Hawaii multiple times was for the ship I was on and to whale watch. The ship I liked is gone and I can see whales in Alaska so until the full eclipse goes back to Hawaii I will be cruising Alaska.
Old March 18th, 2003, 05:42 PM
Yeoman

Thank you for all your help gave the wrong date this cruise is May 9. are they having the same one in Sept. but then I might not get a single. Thank you Papa Bill for the invitation. i was over there for 10 days and loved every minute of it. we took Aloha Airline to the other Islands and the (I believe it was the Jolly Roger ) buses around the Islands. Never did get to see the Polynasian Center, because I was the only one interested.. Don't have much more time to make up mind. Thanks Auguste
Old March 18th, 2003, 07:03 PM
Admiral

Auguste,
I would do the Pacific coast and Alaska 14 days in a heartbeat over the Norwegian Star and 2 nights land in Hawaii. On the Star, you don't get much actual time in Hawaii with that pesky law making you have to spend all that time going to Fanning Island. I wish I could go with you on the Pacific coast itinerary! Go for it!

Old March 18th, 2003, 08:04 PM
Admiral

The Constallation wins hands down. Alaska and Hawaii are both magnificent. The views at sea will be mainly water until you get to Alaska and then the views will be amazing. Wait till you see your first glacier. O.M.G.
Old March 18th, 2003, 09:59 PM
Yeoman

Hello Chuck I am going on the Summit. Did not hear from here anymore tonight, she only had a few single rooms. I did not know what to expect was thinking maybe see some of the rugged Cal. and Oregon Coastline. But a little bit is better then not ever have seen it Alaska must really be something. I just never thought I would want to go because of the weather.Thank you everybody for all your help Auguste