Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 23rd, 2003, 10:24 AM
Admiral

Default I read a very sad Story-NCL Star

I just read a review of the N.C.L. Star. This couple had a pretty horrific experience while tendering to and from Fanning island. Did anyone else read the review by Mario Mendez on Cruise Reviews.Com? The sailing date was 03-09-03. Please reply if you have comments. I'm thinking it is pretty lucky this kind of incedent doesn't happen more often. I feel very sorry for the crew members and passengers that experienced this event.
Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2003, 10:53 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: I read a very sad Story-NCL Star

I just went and read the review....I'm glad the crewmember survived and will not have his legs amputated. As for the rest...no comment as I would probably get flamed for what I want to say.

Old March 23rd, 2003, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Hi, Chuck ...

I just read.

I agree that it's amazing that this sort of incident doesn't happen more frequently. I always cringe when I see the elderly, the lame, etc. boarding tenders in rough seas. I keep waiting for someone's ankle or leg to be crushed between the gangway and the tender. I think it's a tough call for Captains to stop tendering due to weather conditions because of the resulting complaints.

As a general rule, ships' doctors are general practicioners so calling for additional medical personnel, especially surgeons, seems like a good idea in this unanticipated incident. Of course, any doc who volunteered might be subject to a malpractice claim.

I respect what Mr. Mendez said. Obiously written by an intelligent person.

My semi-educated guess is that "Percival" was NOT following orders and accepted policies. If such incidents were anticipated, then there would be the medical care in place to take care of them. Clearly, he should not have been where he was, doing (or not doing) what he should have been doing. Such maneuvers with tenders are commonplace.

There is a an old sailing rule. "One hand for the boat, one hand for yourself." If Percival had been hanging on, it's unlikely that he would have fallen overboard even with the engine "gunning." Never mess with the basic rules of seamanship.

My opinion? If anyone cost Mr. Mendez his planned vacation it was Percival by not following rules and policies.

Harsh. I know. As to self-serving on NCL's part, should they just have pitched him over the side?

And, I'm not the "Pam" who was on the cruise.
Old March 23rd, 2003, 01:08 PM
First Mate

Hi Chuck,
An interesting review to say the least. I did notice in Cabo some of the elderly having troubles boarding the tender at the ship (dock was ok). Hopefully all turns out for the guy, being able to walk etc after rehabilitation.

Remember to be careful on your upcoming trip if you go ashore in Cabo-one hand on the railing! It's a couple weeks away, isn't it? Enjoy...I'm still packing the apartment, which is now sold.

richard
Old March 23rd, 2003, 01:53 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: I read a very sad Story-NCL Star

Hi Richard!

It sounds like your home sale is all in order. Congratulations! I bet you're chomping at the bit on your pending cruise as well. You leave the end of May, correct?

Yes, we set sail 04-05 on the Star Princess,and I can't wait. I'll take your advice and be more careful while transfering to the tender. ("One small step for mankind and one giant leap to Cabo San Lucas." ;0)

The next two weeks will be helish at work because of second trimester reports, parent conferences, etc. It will all be worth it when we get on the plane to LAX the Saturday after school is out. Plane leaves at 6:15 A.M. Ugh! Our flight gets in a little too early, but we wanted to allow a little extra time in case of any flight delays.But by 1:00 P.M. we should be out on deck having a glass of red wine (or maybe a margarita!) and a bite to eat.

Yes! Bring on the sound track from "Frida!" I better bring my boom box to play quietly in our cabin, better yet I should bring headphones.
Old March 23rd, 2003, 10:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Oh Chuck, you make me long for 21 days ago when we got on the Star Princess! I was in the middle of work within 2 hours of arriving back on land.

The tenders can be antsy. We made our way to the top deck this time, and I was trying to pick out a seat, when the boat *forced* me to pick one and say, "This is fine."

I am just amazed how the crew is helpful those to with mobility problems -- incredible.

Oh man, take me back! Up at 7 a.m. for work today and did not finish till 7:30 tonight. Oh well, have to wait till the next ocean outing!

Harry
Old March 24th, 2003, 06:52 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: I read a very sad Story-NCL Star

Chuck,
Sounds like you're ready to party! That flight sounds a little early though! But like you said, you'll start enjoying your cruise earlier too-I love that first buffet of the cruise. My bosses son was just on the Star during spring break (last week in BC) working in the kids club.

As for me, I WILL need that trip on May 31st. Have to be out of here Apr 26. Signed the papers to sell Ev's place Friday afternoon (1st showing tonight), made an offer (and got into a bdding war that night-UGH) on a new place. So we move in on May 24 if the inspection goes good on Wednesday.

They are listed at www.realtylink.org My current place is MLS# 330105 and the new 331876.

Yup, I think both of us need a vacation! Have fun.

richard