Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 30th, 2003, 01:00 AM
First Mate

Default Beware- Airlines *are* Cancelling Flights!

Hi Everyone-

We leave next Saturday to fly from NYC to Fort Lauderdale - to board the Grand Princess on Sunday April 6.

Our flights were not scheduled through Princess because we prefer to book our own air. Everything was set for us to fly Delta nonstop, from JFK. I recieved a phone call from a Delta rep this evening informing me that our flight had been cancelled! They wanted to put us on another flight with a long layover in Atlanta, which wouldn't get us to Fort Lauderdale until close to 9pm. That would make the entire day traveling! Figure in 6 people getting their luggage and transport to the hotel and wow - that's late! I found this unacceptable! I voiced my complaint, also explaining that we were scheduled to embark on a cruise the next day.

There are 6 in our group going together. I asked her if there was any alternative and low and behold.... an earlier non-stop, (getting us to Florida even sooner than the original flight) was available - for all 6 of us. I grabbed it - giving everyone's name and had us all changed to the earlier flight.

Thank goodness!! I was so stressed and worried that somehow, even traveling a day early (which I insist on doing pre-cruise!) something would go wrong - and we'd be up the proverbial you know what - without a paddle!

They were very nice - even managing to get us 6 across in one row. Now I just will pray and keep all my fingers and toes crossed that we don't get another call from Delta!!

In these uncertain times - plan to fly in a day early if you can! At least it makes you a tiny bit more flexible!

(whew) I'm really looking forward to this cruise! I asked about our return flight and was told to check with them the day we disembark. arrgh! Maybe we'll get an extra day in Florida? Everyone due back at work on Monday will have the perfect excuse- stranded!

Happy Cruising!!
Deja

booking soon - 10th anniversary cruise in August....
Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2003, 06:01 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Beware- Airlines *are* Cancelling Flights!

I'm happy it worked out for you. It goes to show you that you do not have to accept their first "solution" they offered. I'm glad it all worked out. enjoy your cruise.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old March 30th, 2003, 08:15 AM
Admiral

Been checking our plane reservations every other day since this war started. So far, so good. Worried about this since for the first time we are traveling on the same day as the cruise. Only consolation is that it is Celebrity air so I guess they have to get me there somehow. It's a really good suggestion however, everyone should keep checking plane reservations.

Carnival Glory
Old March 30th, 2003, 10:30 AM
MichelleM

Checking with the airline frequently is a very good idea. Our flight times changed over 8 times for our cruise in Feb. We booked thru travelocity for the airfare and I was notified via e-mail of the first change but not of the rest. So I just got in the habit of checking our confirmed reservations section of the page about once a week.
We didn't have major changes like your flight being cancelled, you made a good decision avoiding the Atlanta airport. We lived there for a while and dreading having to fly out of it. But the flight times changed enough that had I not checked regularly we would of missed our flight.
Pretty much all the flights to Florida are going completely full since it is spring break time, so if you want to get a bump you probably could. That might be why they tried to get you on the less desirable flight.
Old March 30th, 2003, 11:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to DanaB

I, too, have been checking with the airilne for my April 27 cruise. Because of work I can't do a pre-cruise stay. So far so good, but I do have confidence that if the flight is cancelled, we will be taken care of. Last cruise, one of our flights was canceled and they took great care of us.

Dana
Old March 30th, 2003, 01:22 PM
Admiral

deja:

The airline usually tries to book you for a replacement flight that leaves "no earlier than" your original flight. This is based on the supposition that they will not be able to get in touch with you ahead of time. However, as you found out, they try to be accomodating, especially since there is so much time between now and your flight.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old April 1st, 2003, 08:21 PM
First Mate

We started flying out a day before our cruises and not going back home for an extra day. So that way we have time for some sight seeing and time to relax before our flight home also. Get home much more rested. Happy cruising all.... Char