CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Poll: Sea Days or Port Days (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/263608-poll-sea-days-port-days.html)

Seahunks April 5th, 2003 11:56 AM

Poll: Sea Days or Port Days

Reading a good morning post made me wonder about other CMs. Do you prefer sea days or days in port?

I know I like sea days. If I wanted to go ashore, I'd stay on shore. Destinations are just an excuse for traveling. In fact, when Chris and I went ashore in Grand Cayman it was so we could board an historic ship and take a cruise within a cruise. Beyond that I never got tired of being on board.

That's the disappointment of next September's cruise--not enough sea time. There will be 3 successive ports of call, the first on the day after boarding. The single sea day will be the last day of the cruise. I guess I can live with it but I may have to quickly book the next cruise.
.-.-.
Steve

ps This is where I intended to post it. Sorry about that.

susancruzs April 5th, 2003 12:14 PM

Re: Poll: Sea Days or Port Days

I like the sea days! I can deal with the 3 ports in a row but don't particularly like it! On the Brilliance, we had two sea days at the end, which to me is ideal!

I don't think I'll ever book a cruise with 5 or 6 ports and only 1 sea day. I need at least two sea days on a week cruise, ideally 3 sea, 3 port is best.

I loved my transatlantics and Panama Canal cruises, lots of sea days!!!

Susie

Harry Martin April 5th, 2003 12:53 PM

Gimme sea days! Most relaxing part of the trip. I sit by the pool, take a nap, watch TV, eat and just RELAX.

Harry

dezertcruzer April 5th, 2003 01:31 PM

Up until now, I have been more of a port person, although I will admit that 2 days pre-cruise in Hawaii and then 6 successive port days wore me out, and I really enjoyed those 5 sea days crossing to Vancouver.

I am, strangely enough, really looking forward to all the sea days on our Panama Canal cruise this fall. We do several Mexican ports, which I know I will love, since I love Mexico anyway, and we have quite a few sea days thrown in there too. We have booked an aft balcony, and we are sooooo ready to sit back there, watch the wake and RELAX!

Thomas April 5th, 2003 02:02 PM

Give me sea days unless we're travelling to new destinations. We like exploring the ports when we're visiting new countries but on repeat trips I prefer the sea days. Mrs. Thomas has no shops to drag me into and I get to sit at the blackjack tables all day. Yippeeeeee!!!

Regards,
Thomas

Lisa April 5th, 2003 02:10 PM

Sea days!!! And if I've been to a port before, I will use that as a "ship day" - stay on board while most of the others get off!

Cher April 5th, 2003 03:00 PM

Sea days are the best, I really like them at the beginning and the end of the cruise, gives you time to find everything at the beginning, and actually get to use them at the end.

susancruzs April 5th, 2003 03:28 PM

Thomas, you sound like George! April and I had dinner with a couple who were traveling with George, an elderly boyfriend of her deceased mother (got that?)! Anyway, we'd be done with dinner, ordering desert and George would get that "look"! We'd all say, ready to go, George???

He was so cute, he'd get that twinkle in his eye and be ready to head for the tables! The whole cruise you could check on George, sitting on his favorite stool and it got to the point, no one sat on George's stool!!! We had the best time with them, fun people!

Susie

Kuki April 5th, 2003 03:46 PM

Sea day guy here. I like a few interesting ports as a diversion, but relaxing at sea and enjoying the ship are my favorite activities.

rollerdonna April 5th, 2003 03:55 PM

I like both! Sea days to just sit by the pool and do nothing but soak up the sun (of which we get not enough of ,up here in Canada!) and port days, because it's exciting to see new places that are so diferent from home, where I never even "land cruise" to go anywhere!

Donna

Tweety April 5th, 2003 04:08 PM

Give me sea days, love em...Our Panama Canal cruise was ideal because we had 8 sea days and they were spread out over 16 days, it was perfect. Have done Hawaii in both directions from Vancouver and also to Vancouver but all the sea days are together and therefore you have 6 days of ports one right after another. Prefer that itin going from Hawaii to Vancouver, gives you time to relax before getting off the ship. Transatlantic should be good, 8 sea days there too. Will let you know.

candymaker April 5th, 2003 04:37 PM

Re: Re: Poll: Sea Days or Port Days

Sea days for me . need a port day in between once in a while just to make sure I dont get to relaxed and forget to get off of the ship at the end of the crruise
Grant

Post Edited (04-05-03 15:54)

jturner901 April 5th, 2003 04:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: Poll: Sea Days or Port Days

Sea days! You see one port you've seen 'em all. I would love a Caribbean cruise where you board in FLL, sail to one place (insert favourite island here), stay a day, then sail back to FLL. That could be seven days and maybe two ports for ten days. Just a slow float on the water.

Post Edited (04-05-03 15:47)

sue April 5th, 2003 06:56 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Poll: Sea Days or Port Days

Sea days for me too.....Maybe one small island but that's it.....

AR April 5th, 2003 10:30 PM

It completely depends on the itinerary.

If it's just a typical Caribbean float, then who cares. As someone said, you can treat many of the stops as sea days. Essentially, the ship is the destination.

But for the Med, South America, Central America, Asia, and Europe the stops are a big part of the adventure. If for no other reason than to decide whether it's a place you'd like to return to, or to say hello again to an old friend.

AR

David Starkey April 7th, 2003 09:04 AM

Sea days=relaxation....it works for me.

mbuckellew April 7th, 2003 09:41 AM

I like them both. In the past there were two types of vacations: relaxing trips to the beach, or non-stop land tours of new places, which can be tiring. I think that's the beauty of a cruise: it's the best of both worlds! Sea days for relaxation, port days to discover exotic new places.

And some port days are better than others - there are certain ports I'd love to spend days and days in, while there are others (Nassau, I'm looking at you) where I wouldn't mind just staying on the ship.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/co...zone=GMT-0500f
Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

PEB April 7th, 2003 10:19 AM

Sea days for me. The wife likes to check out ports but she also enjoys sea days. For me I don't care if I get off the ship at all.

LisaK April 7th, 2003 12:05 PM

i like a nice mix of both. Give me a couple of sea days right out, then a couple of ports with nice beaches and snorkeling and then some more sea days.