Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 5th, 2003, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Default Poll: Sea Days or Port Days

Reading a good morning post made me wonder about other CMs. Do you prefer sea days or days in port?

I know I like sea days. If I wanted to go ashore, I'd stay on shore. Destinations are just an excuse for traveling. In fact, when Chris and I went ashore in Grand Cayman it was so we could board an historic ship and take a cruise within a cruise. Beyond that I never got tired of being on board.

That's the disappointment of next September's cruise--not enough sea time. There will be 3 successive ports of call, the first on the day after boarding. The single sea day will be the last day of the cruise. I guess I can live with it but I may have to quickly book the next cruise.
.-.-.
Steve

ps This is where I intended to post it. Sorry about that.

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03
Inspiration 3/04
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!
Summit 03/06 to Hawaii, Where God left his fingerprints, in memory of Margaret.
Sensation 03/07
Carnival Freedom (March 08)
\X\Mercury (January 09)
Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2003, 11:14 AM
susancruzs

Default Re: Poll: Sea Days or Port Days

I like the sea days! I can deal with the 3 ports in a row but don't particularly like it! On the Brilliance, we had two sea days at the end, which to me is ideal!

I don't think I'll ever book a cruise with 5 or 6 ports and only 1 sea day. I need at least two sea days on a week cruise, ideally 3 sea, 3 port is best.

I loved my transatlantics and Panama Canal cruises, lots of sea days!!!

Susie
Old April 5th, 2003, 11:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Gimme sea days! Most relaxing part of the trip. I sit by the pool, take a nap, watch TV, eat and just RELAX.

Harry
Old April 5th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Admiral

Up until now, I have been more of a port person, although I will admit that 2 days pre-cruise in Hawaii and then 6 successive port days wore me out, and I really enjoyed those 5 sea days crossing to Vancouver.

I am, strangely enough, really looking forward to all the sea days on our Panama Canal cruise this fall. We do several Mexican ports, which I know I will love, since I love Mexico anyway, and we have quite a few sea days thrown in there too. We have booked an aft balcony, and we are sooooo ready to sit back there, watch the wake and RELAX!

Old April 5th, 2003, 01:02 PM
Admiral

Give me sea days unless we're travelling to new destinations. We like exploring the ports when we're visiting new countries but on repeat trips I prefer the sea days. Mrs. Thomas has no shops to drag me into and I get to sit at the blackjack tables all day. Yippeeeeee!!!

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 5th, 2003, 01:10 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Sea days!!! And if I've been to a port before, I will use that as a "ship day" - stay on board while most of the others get off!

Old April 5th, 2003, 02:00 PM
First Mate

Sea days are the best, I really like them at the beginning and the end of the cruise, gives you time to find everything at the beginning, and actually get to use them at the end.

Old April 5th, 2003, 02:28 PM
susancruzs

Thomas, you sound like George! April and I had dinner with a couple who were traveling with George, an elderly boyfriend of her deceased mother (got that?)! Anyway, we'd be done with dinner, ordering desert and George would get that "look"! We'd all say, ready to go, George???

He was so cute, he'd get that twinkle in his eye and be ready to head for the tables! The whole cruise you could check on George, sitting on his favorite stool and it got to the point, no one sat on George's stool!!! We had the best time with them, fun people!

Susie
Old April 5th, 2003, 02:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Sea day guy here. I like a few interesting ports as a diversion, but relaxing at sea and enjoying the ship are my favorite activities.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 5th, 2003, 02:55 PM
Admiral

I like both! Sea days to just sit by the pool and do nothing but soak up the sun (of which we get not enough of ,up here in Canada!) and port days, because it's exciting to see new places that are so diferent from home, where I never even "land cruise" to go anywhere!

Donna

Old April 5th, 2003, 03:08 PM
Admiral

Give me sea days, love em...Our Panama Canal cruise was ideal because we had 8 sea days and they were spread out over 16 days, it was perfect. Have done Hawaii in both directions from Vancouver and also to Vancouver but all the sea days are together and therefore you have 6 days of ports one right after another. Prefer that itin going from Hawaii to Vancouver, gives you time to relax before getting off the ship. Transatlantic should be good, 8 sea days there too. Will let you know.

Carnival Glory
Old April 5th, 2003, 03:37 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Poll: Sea Days or Port Days

Sea days for me . need a port day in between once in a while just to make sure I dont get to relaxed and forget to get off of the ship at the end of the crruise
Grant

Post Edited (04-05-03 15:54)
Old April 5th, 2003, 03:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Poll: Sea Days or Port Days

Sea days! You see one port you've seen 'em all. I would love a Caribbean cruise where you board in FLL, sail to one place (insert favourite island here), stay a day, then sail back to FLL. That could be seven days and maybe two ports for ten days. Just a slow float on the water.

Post Edited (04-05-03 15:47)

Jay and Karen
Mount Hope, ON Canada

Westerdam 1993, 1997, 1998
Statendam 1995
Zenith 1996
Norway 1997
Sun Princess 1999
Volendam 2000, 2001
Century 2002
Zuiderdam 2003
Caribbean Princess 2004, 2005
Victory 2004
Old April 5th, 2003, 05:56 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Poll: Sea Days or Port Days

Sea days for me too.....Maybe one small island but that's it.....

Old April 5th, 2003, 09:30 PM
AR

It completely depends on the itinerary.

If it's just a typical Caribbean float, then who cares. As someone said, you can treat many of the stops as sea days. Essentially, the ship is the destination.

But for the Med, South America, Central America, Asia, and Europe the stops are a big part of the adventure. If for no other reason than to decide whether it's a place you'd like to return to, or to say hello again to an old friend.

AR
Old April 7th, 2003, 08:04 AM
David Starkey

Sea days=relaxation....it works for me.
Old April 7th, 2003, 08:41 AM
Admiral

I like them both. In the past there were two types of vacations: relaxing trips to the beach, or non-stop land tours of new places, which can be tiring. I think that's the beauty of a cruise: it's the best of both worlds! Sea days for relaxation, port days to discover exotic new places.

And some port days are better than others - there are certain ports I'd love to spend days and days in, while there are others (Nassau, I'm looking at you) where I wouldn't mind just staying on the ship.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Old April 7th, 2003, 09:19 AM
Captain

Sea days for me. The wife likes to check out ports but she also enjoys sea days. For me I don't care if I get off the ship at all.
Old April 7th, 2003, 11:05 AM
Admiral

i like a nice mix of both. Give me a couple of sea days right out, then a couple of ports with nice beaches and snorkeling and then some more sea days.