Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 5th, 2003, 04:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Air Canada

Last week Air Canada filed for bankruptcy protection from their $13 million debtors. Yesterday and today they have cancelled all flights, all 200 of them, citing the ice storm and a shortage of glycol (de-icer). I would not be wanting to catch my ship and have this happen to me. I hope not too many cruisers were affected. Yikes!

Jay and Karen
Mount Hope, ON Canada

Westerdam 1993, 1997, 1998
Statendam 1995
Zenith 1996
Norway 1997
Sun Princess 1999
Volendam 2000, 2001
Century 2002
Zuiderdam 2003
Caribbean Princess 2004, 2005
Victory 2004
Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2003, 04:46 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Air Canada

I've believed for a few years now that this may be one industry in need of regulation. Airlines are becoming vicious in their customer service and lousy in their product offerings. I'm beginning to despise them as much as insurance companies.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 5th, 2003, 08:05 PM
Dennis brown

Huh? 200 cancelled flights originating from where? Certainly not here in St. John's Newfoundland. Everything was on schedule here.
Old April 5th, 2003, 08:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Air Canada

Toronto - YYZ

Jay and Karen
Mount Hope, ON Canada

Statendam 1995
Zenith 1996
Norway 1997
Sun Princess 1999
Volendam 2000, 2001
Century 2002
Zuiderdam 2003
Victory 2004
Old April 5th, 2003, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Deregulation was one of the worst things that could happen to the airline industry in retrospect! I think the government needs to step in and set limits again. I would rather pay a little more and get better service than pay a ridiculously low fare and get the horrid customer service that is out there right now.

Old April 5th, 2003, 09:20 PM
Admiral

My husband works for Air Canada, and because of this bankruptcy thing he may lose his job after 35 years, or be asked to take a drastic pay cut. We are waiting to hear what happens because this will directly affect our next planned cruise ( we may NOT be going after all). He also heard that those flights delayed out of Toronto were not due to the weather, but due to the fact Air Canada would not pay for the de-icing fluid!

Donna

Old April 5th, 2003, 09:28 PM
First Mate

Funny how their CEO made about $1.25million with over $3 million in incentives last year. And for that they owe $13 BILLION to creditors.

They claim to be a full service airline but don't act like one, more like a no-frills airline. They continue to order new aircraft (lease not buy), have spun off Tango, Zip, AC Jetz creating MORE management positions in the company. If there is a competitor they try to squeeze them out with below-cost prices and by flooding the market with seats.

To top it off Robert Milton blames everyone, and everything else for their problems, except the people running the airline, including himself.

Be thankful some of these guys aren't running the cruise industry. At least out here we have Westjet, and Alaska to get to the US.

richard
Old April 5th, 2003, 10:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Air Canada

I apologize. I originally said $13 million, but meant to say $13 billion as corrected by Richard. Donna: I didn't believe for a second that there was a "shortage" of glycol. It wasn't the least bit suprising that mid-week they file and by weekend they had a convienient storm to blame stuff on. Good luck to Mr. rollerdonna.

Jay and Karen
Mount Hope, ON Canada

Statendam 1995
Zenith 1996
Norway 1997
Sun Princess 1999
Volendam 2000, 2001
Century 2002
Zuiderdam 2003
Victory 2004
Old April 5th, 2003, 11:50 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Air Canada

Donna,
I too hope for the best for the two of you, as the employees seem to bear the brunt of these things. Hopefully with that much seniority he should be ok. Don't count out that cruise just yet.

I would have added this to my last post, which I was working on when you posted. Good luck!

richard
Old April 6th, 2003, 09:30 PM
Admiral

Thanks guys! Donna

Old April 7th, 2003, 03:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

Here we are on the south end of Africa and weill be in Rome on May 3. Hope American is still flying when we get there.

RayB
Old April 21st, 2003, 10:59 AM
Tim T

Hi All!:

We flew Air Canada on Apr. 5th out of Toronto to Miami to catch the 4:00pm sailing of the Carnival Triumph.

We were due to leave at 10:15am, but did not get out until 2:15pm. That was after transferring to another plane because the first one we settled in on could not get de-iced because they were out of fluid for the 2nd time in two days. Our flight was the last one allowed out of Toronto that day.

While I always thought that the 10:15am flight time was not allowing much margin for error in getting aboard the ship, we would have been doomed even if we flew out the day before, as so many people recommend. Even fewer flights got out of Toronto on Friday. We missed the ship. We had to stay in Miami, fly to Houston on Continental and then on to Cozumel by Sunday afternoon, where we caught up with the Triumph on Monday.

I think the flights were guaranteed by Carnival, but we had excellent help from Lux travel in Montreal, making all the arrangements to get us caught up with the ship. Carnival gave my wife and I $77.00 US each off on a future cruise (within 18 months) for missing the first two nights. It did make for a hectic start to our 1st Cruise Experience. Tim