Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 20th, 2003, 11:11 AM
Dave9

Default Captain's Pay

Does anyone know what the compensation plan is for captains of large cruise ships? I am having trouble guessing, but I would assume is quite some money considering the tremendous responsibility that they bear. I have always what the captains of these huge vessels get paid.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2003, 01:03 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Captain's Pay

I do not know what a captain gets...but my friend is a officer on tankers..etc...he makes over 100,00 a year....and that not working all year. He applied to a cruise ship and he said the pay was not much much at all...so he said forget it...he sticks to tankers..etc..

Mary Margaret
Old April 20th, 2003, 03:10 PM
AR

International airline captains with some seniority make a quarter million or more--or at least they did until a few weeks ago. Now most of them make about 20% less. And they fly maybe 10 or 11 days a month.

I'd be shocked if cruise ship guys make less than $6-700k. Maybe a lot more. With all due respect to tanker crews, few tanker captains supervise a crew and staff of 1000.

AR
Old April 21st, 2003, 08:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

AR.. I think you'd be shocked!!! I don't have exact figures, but Captains make considerably less than what we'd expect them to considering the company assets (and passengers) that are their responsibility.
Old April 21st, 2003, 09:51 AM
First Mate

Kuki,
You are right, about cruise ship officers making less. When I said my friend was a officer on a tanker, he is far from a Captain, and makes over 100K a year, so I can just imagine the amount a captain of a tanker makes. And believe me they have tremendous responsibilities with the oil and all on board.

Mary Margaret
Old April 21st, 2003, 10:32 AM
First Mate

Just saw a post about the Captains pay on another board. They said 5 to 6 thousand a month...I thought a tanker officer got more, thats why my friend said no way to a cruise ship.

Mary Margaret
Old April 21st, 2003, 11:38 AM
shipbound

You may think five or six thousand per month is not much but they get a nice cabin, food
and probably free medical so all that adds up to much more than five or six thousand per
month.
Old April 21st, 2003, 12:45 PM
AR

Default Re: Re: Captain's Pay

Well, if you're right about $6,000 a month, I AM shocked. That's a ridiculous salary for somebody with that much on the line. If correct, these guys need a better union.

From all the bios I read in the frequent cruiser newsletters the career paths make cruise captain sound like the brass ring. Typically these guys start in the merchant marine and "graduate" to cruise ships. So I've always inferred from these CV's that cruise ships are the place to be.

Even more strange is that--assuming the captain's the highest paid guy on board--the department heads like hotel manager and cruise director are literally working for peanuts.

And while it's nice to say that they get a free cabin, let's face it, most of them have families and homes someplace, so it's not that big a saving. A few bucks on chow, yes. And free medical? Well, despite what we're hearing, many good jobs still carry very good health benefits, so that's really nothing special.

Hell, I'd want more than $75k a year just to sit and eat dinner with passengers once or twice a week!

AR

AR
Old April 22nd, 2003, 08:01 PM
seabee

You mean they get paid??