Everyone has their favorite Cruise Director... and there are a few names that elicit groans all around! In your opinion, what makes a great CD great? What was it about your favorite CD that made him or her your favorite?
Personally I haven't sailed with a cruise director yet whom I would term "great." The guy on the Millennium was better than the others, though. He was just more entertaining and scheduled a lot of interesting onboard activities.
Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium
Now posting as MichelleP.
Well, since the Paradise in June will be our first cruise I don't have the experience to back it up, but I would think that a great CD would:
1. Always smile and include everyone if possible in activities, encouraging involvement on a personal level.
2. He/She would have lots of humor and could "wing" if necessary in awkward situations to make the guest feel right at home.
3. They would schedule a well rounded activity level that would include something everyday for every age.
4. They would delegate menial task as to allow themselves more time to be included in activities.
5. They would know how to break the ice by exposing some bludders so that would make things down to earth, no mask.
Am I dreaming???
Paradise June 2003
Fascination 05 Bahamas
Fascination 05 Mx
Fantasy Dec 2 Big Easy to Mx
1. An almost uncanny sixth sense to gauge the crowd's mood, likes, dislikes, wants and needs. This is a moving target--sometimes day to day--and it takes a sharp person to have a constant feel for this.
2. A genuine sense of humor, as opposed to a stock book of jokes. And a personal style that makes the humor flow naturally and spontaneously.
3. Real intelligence, combined with unfailing common sense.
4. Kindness and patience that are not forced or condescending.
5. The ability to instill these qualities in the cruise staff that work for him/her.
5. And, of course, a tremendous amount of interest in, and curiosity about, all sorts of people.
To tell the truth I pay very little attention to the Cruise Director. Whether the Cruise Director is good or bad has very little effect on my cruise because I am not big on the shows and I am not one to participate in the games. I go to relax and meet new people which I do not need a Cruise Director for.
I think a great cruise director is the one standing on the stage on any cruise that I am on. Second, after the third bottle of Corona, they all are great.
Truly, I find that it is less the "persona" that they put on on stage and more the coordination of activities and the motivation of staff carrying them out. By the time most make cruise director they have the "act" down pretty good it is more the staff motivation and coordination part that I think makes a difference.
A good cruise director is only as good as his/her staff. If they have a great staff and he/she is a good leader/motivator than that's a great combo. I think that a CD and their staff need to be gregarious but not phony. Its as simple as a smile and a "good morning" or whatever when you catch their eye. I think that a CD really shines when it comes to "special events" or occassions. If you want something special done on the cruise, a good CD will do all that they can to help.