Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 29th, 2003, 09:42 AM
Admiral

Default Decisions, Decisions, Decisions….Autos, Cars, Wheels.. Help!

The lease has matured on the Mercedes SLK convertible, and Carol suggested that I have matured, as well. You know that silver haired, over weight, wannabe playboy, you always see in those hot cars? That was probably me. () I am thinking, a little more refinement, rather than sporty, this time. I had the Corvette, Porsche, and the Mercedes Convertibles.
I went to drive a Infinity G35 Coupe and they had none to test drive. They said all of their allotted G35 Coupes are sold for at least 3 months, so, that is out. I’d still like to stay with a 2 door.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Have you experienced or were you impressed with any particular car? Heard any good things about a certain automobile? Also you may suggest “that car” to stay away from..

and laughing is contagious,
here’s hoping for an epidemic!
Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2003, 09:52 AM
susancruzs

Default Re: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions….Autos, Cars, Wheels.. H

Hmm, you've had Porsche, how about the Audi TT? I had one of those home for a weekend one time and it was lots of fun. Little tricky to get in and out of in a dress, but you might not have that issue!

You like 2-doors so I suppose that monster Phaeton VW is building is out of the question?

I'm pushing VW/Audi so my retirement check keeps coming!!! :-)

Susie
Old April 29th, 2003, 10:10 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions….Autos, Cars, Wheels

The Audi TT looks awesome but off course I have never driven one or the others you have mentioned. I can only pay for my little car, a yellow bug but I am happy Whatever you will pick have fun in it! The car to stay away from is in my humble opinion <please don't pick on me> an american car......

Old April 29th, 2003, 10:46 AM
susancruzs

Funny you should say that Sue and I won't pick on you!

In reality, although I can't get this through to my sister and brother-in-law, even buying American, isn't buying American. In terms of the workers in the plants building it, yes, if they haven't farmed it out to Mexico or South America but in terms of content, no way!

Alot of big items that go inside to make up the car, come from all over the world. Parts content is listed somewhere on the Monroney (sp) label or should be somewhere in new car papers. Very complicated these days in terms of what is American and what isn't. VW was constantly under the gun from the US government about putting more US parts in cars sold in this country.

Working for a German company, we always got a German companies in America Guide every year and that made for some very interesting reading. Alot of companies that you might think are American have percentage holdings by other countries.

Susie
Old April 29th, 2003, 11:12 AM
Admiral

Being the owner of my 3rd Corvette, I say GO VETTE!

Can't go wrong.............they corner great, the mileage is great. I drove to Dallas on half a tank. There is NOTHING like them. :O)
Of course, it is possible that I am prejudice.

Old April 29th, 2003, 11:33 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions….Autos, Cars, Wh

I'm going to jump all over you Sue. I'm a mechanical engineer who worked in the automotive business for 9 years and I can tell you they are as well built as any in the same class. Mrs. Thomas (who is NOT an engineer) thinks the same way as you and she has gone through 4 Japanese cars to the 2 American cars I've had in the same number of years.

My '93 Oldsmobile now had 215,000 miles on it and everything works perfectly. Her '93 Honda has 150,000 miles on it and is in need of a multitude of parts to get it back to original condition.

The automobile business suffers from long memories. With people typically keeping the same car for 7 years it takes this long for them to replace their product with a new one and try what's new. So perceptions generally last this long.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 29th, 2003, 12:18 PM
txncruiser

The wife got a "lightly" used Jag XK8 convertible a year and a half ago and we have been very pleased. Still a pleasure to take for a ride. Probably wouldn't use as a daily driver though. She works from the house and drives little. They have a good certified program.

We liked the SLK but balked at the size of it - or lack thereof.

There is a new T-Bird in town in a turquoise color that looks very nice!!

Don't think the new Lexus coupe is all that attractive but quality should be excellent.

Sorry to go on - cars are my thing.
Old April 29th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Admiral

Go for the Saab convertible ! My next as I go topless!
Old April 29th, 2003, 01:23 PM
susancruzs

Saab, CA! What happened to the New Beetle you were talking about, hmmm?

Like the Swedes better than the Germans?

Susie
Old April 29th, 2003, 01:47 PM
Admiral

txncruiser - I admire that car everytime I see it in the parking lot! BEAUTIFUL !
)))

Old April 29th, 2003, 01:54 PM
susancruzs

Wait, back to the Audi TT, it comes in a convertible, too!
Old April 29th, 2003, 02:36 PM
First Mate

It may not be the fastest off the mark, but why not give the new Thunderbird a spin? It's great on the boulevard or open road, handles nicely and definitely gets a lot of looks (popular with the ladies). You might save a few dollars too, now that dealers have plenty in stock.

my midlife crisis car

MV Discovery, South Pacific Total Eclipse Cruise
Old April 29th, 2003, 02:42 PM
Admiral

Some great ideas. I've also received a couple Emails. Thanks and I will keep you all posted. Keep em' coming..

and laughing is contagious,
here’s hoping for an epidemic!
Old April 29th, 2003, 02:48 PM
txncruiser

tr cruiser - That's the color I was talking about. It looks great.

Carole - Thanks. Wish I could talk the lady into a road trip but she refuses anything over an hour since her back surgery. It's fun but not as comfortable as my OFD (old fuddy duddy) car. Need to hit the hill country.
Old April 29th, 2003, 02:55 PM
Admiral

tr:

Did you read that Ford is going to dicontinue this model after 2004 model year? Last year's sales were a paltry 19,000 vehicles and they've decided to stop production.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 29th, 2003, 03:24 PM
Admiral

I read that too, Thomas.

Personally, I am fond of the Jaguar S-type R. That'll be my next car! After I pay off all my debt... *sigh*

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Carnival Imagination

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Old April 29th, 2003, 03:27 PM
Admiral

txncruiser - let's head for New Braunfels........
you two in the jag and us in the vette. (when the wife is feeling better of course).
Lots to do and would be a great "short" trip. :O)

Old April 29th, 2003, 06:07 PM
Admiral

What about a used american made sedan....then use those extra dollars on years of wonderful cruises?!?!

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old April 29th, 2003, 06:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

I go for the
http://www.tvr-eng.co.uk/intro.html

the TVR Chimaera

or the Morgan

Gitte

Post Edited (04-29-03 18:18)

12 days Constellation Ultimate Caribbean
Old April 29th, 2003, 08:50 PM
First Mate

Hummer......bright yellow!

Fantasy Dec 2 Big Easy to Mx
Old April 29th, 2003, 08:52 PM
First Mate

Jason,

I'm sitting here laughing because you sound like my husband! He's had his BMW Z3 for a few years now ( since '98 and he still likes the design over the new ones)- it's been his little baby. I call it "the tuna can" because I feel so small and vulnerable when I drive it on the highway (lol)! We live in northwest New Jersey - the roads here are terrible in the winter. He puts the hard top on it and snow tires and drives it year round. It actually really does handle beautifully.

Do you like the new Z4? I keep telling my husband it's time for a new one and to go drive a Z4....

He says his dream car would be a Jaguar XK120 or a Ferrari Daytona 365 GTB...

guys and their toys <G>

booking soon - 10th anniversary cruise in August....
Old April 29th, 2003, 09:45 PM
Admiral

Cars? Having just sold my rusty 14 yr. old Toyota because I can't afford to renew the registration, not to mention the repairs, I really can't relate to the Mercedes and Jaguars and Corvettes. I am now car-less. Thank goodness I can take the train to work!

donna

Old April 30th, 2003, 04:53 AM
First Mate

Quote:
tr:

Did you read that Ford is going to dicontinue this model after 2004 model year? Last year's sales were a paltry 19,000 vehicles and they've decided to stop production.
Thomas, this has been a topic of recent discussion on the Thunderbird boards. We're kind of puzzled because it was initially announced as a limited production halo car [one that gets people into the showroom rather than generating revenue]. It was originally to have a 4-year run with 25,000/yr. We see the shortfall in sales as mainly the result of speculative brokering, poor marketing and economic factors. You'll have to take my word for it, but it's the best car I've ever owned and fun, fun, fun to drive!

Old April 30th, 2003, 09:12 AM
Admiral

I don't doubt what you say. It might (probably will) become a collector's item. It would be wise to keep it in good condition for years to come as an investment.

However I worked closely with Ford Motor Company for 6 years as a consultant and I don't believe a lot of what they say. I won't go into details but what comes out of Dearborn is questionable. I can say for sure, if it was hugely successful they wouldn't be discontinuing this model. Agreed?

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 30th, 2003, 09:42 AM
First Mate

Not to keep beating a dead bird , but it may be more a matter of politics. The Thunderbird was Jac Nassar's baby, and when he left ,so did its supporters. The T-bird and the Lincoln LS are the only two vehicles currently produced at the Wixom plant, and there's a rumor about its being slated for closing.

I was skeptical about Ford quality, so I took a tour of the plant and learned as much about the car as I could. They have the most senior workers there who take a lot of pride in building the car. The line runs three times as slow as at any other assembly plant. Every car gets the 'gold ball' treatment and the fit and finish are as perfect as any car I've seen. Not a sign of 'orange peel' in the paint job. The engineering is superb.

I worked at Ford in my younger days, so I know what you mean about keeping a skeptical eye on what they say. But the Thunderbird is as fine a car as America has produced in the last couple decades. Why they don't promote it more, I can't say.

Old April 30th, 2003, 02:09 PM
Admiral

Denise,
My son has one of those. <G> The real Hummer too, not that cheap H2 copy.
Jim

Old April 30th, 2003, 04:17 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to Auguste

well you all can have your little bitty cars I love my Cadillac Ah soo comfy Auguste
Old April 30th, 2003, 08:33 PM
Admiral

Again.......................I don't doubt what you say. This may be the best car Ford ever built, but, it is not selling well and production is gonna stop. I can say that for the years I spent in Ford assembly plants they can build a great car by quality standards but if it doesn't sell it is a gone-er! They may broadcast that it was a limited production vehicle but if it was selling "balls to the wall" they would continue producing it. That's just economics.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 30th, 2003, 08:41 PM
susancruzs

Having worked in the industry 33 years, allbeit on the German side, something seems really strange with Ford and the Thunderbird. I was surprised, too when I read that as I would figure everyone would want to see the Thunderbird, and go to the dealers and see other products!

When VW hit rock bottom in the middle 90s, bringing back the Beetle as the New Beetle was not to become the "Beetle" company again but to be a magnet to get people in to look at the re-designed Jetta's and Passat's. It definitely worked and after a few rock bottom years of less than 100,000 cars, they are now back in the ball game with a goal of 500,000 in 2004.

Why give up on it too soon would be my question!

Susie
Old April 30th, 2003, 09:51 PM
Keith & Rita

Default Re: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions?.Autos, Cars, Wheels.. H

It is too late to say JEEP ers? We are not as young as we used to be, however, we are not so old we can't hop in the Wrangler and head for the happy trails!