Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 7th, 2003, 06:23 PM
Admiral

Default Condensation sensor on your camera or camcorder

On Michelle's thread about cameras the subject of the condensation sensor( or switch )on a digital camera or camcorder came up. This built in "protection" for your digital camera or camcorder can shut down your device for a period from 20 minutes to several hours .
It happens a lot on cruises as we go from the 66 degree A/C in the room to the 95 degree and 100% humidity of the Caribbean or whereever. It renders your camera or camcorder useless just when you want to use it. Saw it happen to several folks the morning we went through the Panama Canal.
Once it happens all you can do is get rid of the condensation and let the sensor recycle. That usually means bringing the camera back into the A/C. Wiping the lens clean of "fog" is not the problem. It is condensation inside the camera , not on the lens, that is shutting down your camera.
Of course when this happens on an excursion it is too late to do anything .
First advice. Carry a back up camera, even if it's a disposable, this way you won't miss the photo opportunities altogether.
Second advice, PREVENT THE CONDENSATION. How? Travel only to Alaska would work but not practical. You can do two things. Store the camera outdoors. In other words, keep it warm. How? put it (in it's case of course ) outside on your balconey.
Perhaps more practical, wrap the camera in a towel , put it on a shelf in the closet
away from the cold A/C . This will usually be enough to prevent the condensation sensor from shutting down the camera by keeping the camera warm enough to prevent the condensation from forming . Of cousre only unwrap the camera last minute
so it won't get cold.
Do not attempt to heat up the camera or wipe the inside dry with anything .You will very likely do more damage than good.
Happy cruising and picture taking.
Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2003, 06:30 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Condensation sensor on your camera or camcorder

And if those tips don't work you can turn your camcorder on in the room and let the electronics inside the camera warm up so the condensation won't form when you walk out of the room.

Regards,
Thomas (who has condensation on the brain too often)
Old May 7th, 2003, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Please read my post on the thread

Post Edited (05-07-03 20:07)
Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old May 7th, 2003, 08:01 PM
Admiral

Please read my post on the thread; how did you capture youre pictures. Excuse the post before this one.

Post Edited (05-07-03 19:04)
Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old May 7th, 2003, 08:39 PM
gann

I put my in a zip-lok bag and take it outside and don't open the bag until it has had time to adjust to the warmer temp. Seems to work for me.
Don
Old May 7th, 2003, 09:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

These are great tips guys. I had never even heard of cameras shuttingdown because of condensation. I'm off to go find that other link of Marks. Do people carry cameras around the ships constantly? I love taking pictures but don't want to look like a complete idiot. lol.
Old May 8th, 2003, 10:02 AM
Admiral

this tip works really well, we kept our 35mm in its camera bag on a shelf in the closet, and had no problems.
Old May 8th, 2003, 10:29 AM
Admiral

Thanks Mark and PapaBill,
We did do the wrap it in towel and in the camcorder case thing to no avail. Iím thinking, next time, Iíll bring a small sealable cooler to keep it in. That should keep it in a more captive environment that it is used to. I think the problem is, I keep it very cold in the cabin, and estrogen at hand for old whatís her nameÖ

and laughing is contagious,
hereís hoping for an epidemic!
Old May 8th, 2003, 10:31 AM
Admiral

I wonder what would happen if you put it on top of the TV and turned the TV on?

Or put it in the head with the heating light on?
Old May 8th, 2003, 03:05 PM
capn'kruzer

Thanks soooo much for these pearls of wisdom... I never even thought about condensation. I'll deff'natly use the suggestions. 'preciate it All!! 'djever wonder???Why do people point to their wrist when asking for the time, but not to their crotch when they ask where the toilet is this? hmmmmmmm??
29 days till ALaska..Yea!
SSaFWs..ED