Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 5th, 2003, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Default Don't you hate it when people disappear?

I was just thinking about all the people I've seen come and go in the year or so I've been on this message board, and it made me sad. People post prolifically and you get to know them, then they go on their cruise or just get busy and drop out entirely, never to be heard from again.

It almost makes me want to say, if you're going to quit posting eventually, don't post very often to begin with, so we don't get attached to you!

Of course everyone is busy, but a post to let us know you're still alive would be appreciated. Is there anyone lurking out there who used to post frequently and has now gone back into hiding? Come out and show yourself!

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2003, 09:30 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Don't you hate it when people disappear?

I'm still alive! (Barely, after the 10hr day I put in today!) I hardly ever get to post something new, and never get to post good morning (no time in the a.m.), but I do try to catch up on my "reading" the posts every night, usually late, and usually at the bottom of everyone elses', so you probably think I'm not around much, but I am, and I enjoy hearing all your stories !

donna

Old June 5th, 2003, 09:36 PM
Admiral

Michelle,

I know just what you mean. But, in a way, it's just like "real" life, where people come and go and weave their way into and out of our lives. I'll just hang around and enjoy the ones who are here, like you!

Old June 5th, 2003, 10:27 PM
Admiral

Michelle I watched many people come and go and like you have become very attached to many of them, so they are really missed when they aren't around for a long period of time. However a lot of them do come back every so often and it's like a ray of sunshine when they do and we try to enjoy them for as long as they are around.

I personally have formed some very lasting friendships with people I have met online and it is such a pleasure to meet with them periodically and cruise with them and just share in their lives. So keep posting and keep forming new friendships, the times you spend with them are priceless...Enjoy.

Carnival Glory
Old June 5th, 2003, 10:49 PM
Dean Renner

Michelle,

I suppose I'm guilty as charged................!

I used to post quite often, but the last couple of months, that's tailed off. But with the economic downturn, I've been working 2 jobs, 7 days a week, with 1 day off a month, if I'm lucky!

However, I just gave my notice at my 2nd job, and my last day will be -- if you can believe this! -- Friday the 13th! I need to get my life back, and of course, to post more on Cruisemates!

Just think, I'm going to have 2 whole days off every week -- can you imagine that!

Living in Portland, Oregon, our NBA team has on its roster one of Europe's finest basketball players, Arvidas Sabonis. Having a home in Portland, and in Spain, his take on life is of particular interest. He's observed that "In Spain, people work to live, in America, people live to work."

A bit of wisdom I'm taking to heart.

Posting more often,

Dean
Old June 6th, 2003, 04:37 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Don't you hate it when people disappear?

Dean I agree with this statement! Being german but now have lived in the USA over 20 years it is amazing how much americans have to work to make a living. In Germany there are many holidays and the work hours are cut down to 35hrs if I am not mistaken. My husband gets up at 5am and gets home after 7pm.....with 2 weeks off every year...Americans simply work too much......but they have to do it

June 1st 2015--- Denali Explorer Cruise on Star Princess!

Dec 18, 2014 Caribbean Princess
Old June 6th, 2003, 05:29 AM
Admiral

Tweety, I could not have said it better!

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old June 6th, 2003, 05:43 AM
Passenger

Yes I know what you mean. And i must say I've dropped out a couple times myself.But the atmosphere that is created here makes you come back.I turned to this site for my first cruise several years ago, Donna helped me so much. She told me what to expect on every question I asked her. And I do say, she was right on every answer too.
All the people that come and go through here, ever go on another cruise, I think they'll return here.
To all the gang at Cruisemates, thanks for a wonderful site.

Happy Cruising all;
David W.
79 days and counting;
Conquest
Old June 6th, 2003, 06:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Guilty as charged! I seem to visit occasionally and enjoy others comments but probably don't offer my two cents worth as often as I could. I haven't met any of you personally but hope to some day. However, with no second cruise booked yet, I guess I'll still have to live through the rest of you! I'll try to do better in the future.
joelin
Old June 6th, 2003, 07:25 AM
First Mate

Well since I began posting in early spring I feel like you guys are my "new neighbors". You know we moved to this area from 1187 miles away and so I left all my dearest everyday friends back home. Even though we email and talk on the phone often, I sometimes stop and chat with yall a couple of times a day, sometimes more.

I feel like I am beginning to know you and about your home life and even mention you all sometimes in my prayers. Honestly, this board and you all have filled a lonely place left over from the move. My husband knew how hard it was leaving my grandaughters and all my family and coming to a place where we didn't know a soul. I think that was one reason he finally gave in to taking a cruise vacation, especially since he is prone to motion sickness.

That said, I am grateful for your friendship and advice and hope to one day sail with you on a cruise. Michelle is talkative and reminds me of my daughter because we used to talk all the time, everyday. I love her post, she is honest enough to share if the toilet paper gets stuck to her shoe...ha. Gaile is from the area I live in now so I feel kinda connected to her since she understands the everyday flow of things around Dover. Mary Lou was so kind to recommend a great place that was a big hit with my son and gave our little family a fun weekend of memories. Capn'k is such a softy and so is Mark and Thomas. Kuki is loads of fun to read so I can imagine that in person he is the party hound. Mary Margaret has a sweet disposition in all her post. Donna has a big tender heart and she and Sue are so kind and thoughtful to all who post here. RollerDonna, Robin, Lisa and Angela, too! And Jim has to be the great "wizard of Oz" who knows all behind that curtain of my monitor and if I could get behind I would find this really nice wizard just like Dorothy did. Everyone on this website has been a lot of fun to chat with. Personality's tend magnify themselves with gif's and words and you guys are the greatest.

Oh well, got carried away but you get my drift. So even when I miss a day or two or go away for week, I know I will "check in" and see what you all are up to and will always check for your photos on the gallery, too. Who knows its a small world. Thanks guys!

Denise

Fantasy Dec 2 Big Easy to Mx
Old June 6th, 2003, 08:22 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

I am here. Crying, sobbing because no one loves me. Just because I am old doesn't mean that I don't care. Yes I jump into the Boards once in awhile to let people know I am still alive and kicking.

I read all the imputs and enjoy them all, or at least most of them. Once in awhile I put in my 2 cents.

Ray
Old June 6th, 2003, 08:42 AM
Admiral

Denise, that was beautifully put, brought a tear to my eye... (Sniff!)

donna

Post Edited (06-06-03 08:42)
Old June 6th, 2003, 09:44 AM
Admiral

Sheeesh, Michelle. Some of us have been asked NOT to post here. But I'm doing it anyway. <wink>

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 6th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Admiral

Hi ya'll,,

I'm still here,,,but not as much as I usta be,,,

Our work has picked up alot so don't have as much free time as before.

But will make a consious effort to be better at it. You guys are great,,,

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old June 6th, 2003, 09:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

I think I pretty much always post, but more often when I have an upcoming or just got back from a cruise. In the interim, I try to answer questions about ships I've been on ... seems what I most have to input.

:-)

Harry
Old June 6th, 2003, 10:14 AM
Admiral

As Thomas posted, some of us have been asked NOT to post.
About a couple weeks back, I received 2 Emails. #1 was from a CM colleague. He stated that, “some of (my) postings could be considered lewd, at times, and it is hard to discern humor on line and I should refrain”.
The #2 Email, from an anonymous sender, wrote; “When you were away on one of your trips. A posting by mbuckellew made the statement; online stalking had been a problem, and it seemed to be directed towards you” (Jason). It went on to read; “We are sick of you constantly flaunting your money at us. Just because you are rich, you think you are better than the rest of us”. It continued to say; “you think your postings are funny but they only reveal that you have a vendetta against Thomas, Kuki, and the rest of us”.

After getting these Emails, I elected not to post on the CM boards anymore. By no means am I rich, I have always said that I am blessed, but I still have to work. My intentions were only to make someone laugh or smile occasionally, and I never intended to hurt anyone.

and laughing is contagious,
here’s hoping for an epidemic!
Old June 6th, 2003, 11:35 AM
Admiral

Gosh Jason,

I don't recall any of your posts that could have those comments attributed to them. Course my memory isn't the best, but far as I can remember, I enjoyed your posts. I don't blame you at all for feeling the way you do under the circumstances, but I hope you will reconsider and come back to being a regular poster.

Isn't it sad that words that can so often be a comfort or bring laughter and joy into our lives, can also be misunderstood or bring us sadness and hurt. Just one of the complexities of being human. I think most of us posting here try very hard to be sensitive and not bring hurt or pain.

This kind of thing makes me sad. Don't know what else to say.

Phyll

Old June 6th, 2003, 12:37 PM
susancruzs

I miss people when they post for awhile then "disappear" and always wonder where they are, how they're doing, etc. I've missed your posts, too, Jason!

This board is great, like an extended family and definitely forming friendships is involved. I am so glad I started posting here, taking a few CruiseMate's Cruises, meeting people and just plain enjoying everyone's company!

Tweety's post really covers it, I think!

Susie
Old June 6th, 2003, 12:42 PM
Admiral

Well Michelle I have say that when I came back after our cruise and found out that my internet access had been revoked at work (I wonder why {{wink}}) it didn't take me more than 2 weeks before I bought a computer for home and signed up with my local phone company for a dsl. In short you're all stuck with me now. Jason I think your sense of humor is fine, I have a friend here that has the same kind. I consider it to be a breath of fresh air. Hell, between you and Thomas I laugh so hard I start crying. So stay on board or I'll come searching for you. ;-) Robin will attest to the fact that I'm a bloodhound in a human body. woof woof As for the rest of you, I have a great idea, how about a cruisemate cruise that requires the whole ship? Could you imagine one ship with two thousand cruisemates? Now that would be a cruise.
Have a great afternoon everyone, will check in after work, as Jason would say
"See Yaaa"

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old June 6th, 2003, 01:39 PM
Admiral

Denise first of all I like to thank you for making me feel special. As said before I am having a rotten day and this helps a little. Thank you sooo much for your kind words.

Jason, I have never remembered you being nasty or mean. You have never offended me in any way and I hope you will not stay away from this board. Some people might have rude humor <Thomas comes to mind > but I know they are good people from what I can gather< Now Thomas don't get a big head>

Phyll you are so right what you said about how we can misunderstand words or even how we sometimes miscommunicate<I am the big one on this but I have an excuse *chuckle*> So please Jason stay with us and just let by gones be by gones....

Be blessed

June 1st 2015--- Denali Explorer Cruise on Star Princess!

Dec 18, 2014 Caribbean Princess
Old June 6th, 2003, 02:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Here's another 2 cents for today! - Jason, tell whoever got nasty with you to go take a flying leap! I'll add my name to those who enjoy your posts so don't be shy. Come back!
joelin
Old June 6th, 2003, 03:45 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to LGriggs548

I agree with Tweety and Ray and also that Denise says it all. However, out of site does not necessarily mean out of mind. I too treasure all the friendships I have made on cruises and through this board and think daily of each and everyone of them.

Some of us like to blend into the background and absorb and act like a sponge by taking it all in. Some of us (me) have an impossible time keeping up in chat but take comfort in knowing everyone is there and enjoying the time. If I don't pop in often there's always a reason but you guys are always in my thoughts.

My coworkers also know of you as I constantly speak of each of you. And by the way Michelle, they think your wedding dress is gorgeous and are relieved that you are finally booked on your Honeymoon cruise. They are amazed how I can know so much about some of these folks that I have never met yet I frequently get comments like "Is Kuki going this time and if so don't forget to take a pic of his latest thong". They live the cruising life vicariously through me. This CM family thingy is the Best! Looking forward to the next cruise and to seeing many of you again. I know the lifeline is always there and that the folks on this board care. Are there better folks anywhere? I doubt it. What a blessing.

Linda
Old June 6th, 2003, 06:28 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Denise - thank you for making me feel a little special!

Jason - I have NEVER found your posts to be crude or offensive. I think that just the printed word (without voice inflections or the ability to see someone's facial expressions or body language) on a post can be easily misconstrued. Please keep posting!

Old June 6th, 2003, 08:27 PM
Admiral

Jasonnnn!! Come out and playyyy!! Love you all CMs!! You have made our lives very special and new found friends are a wonderful thing!!

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old June 6th, 2003, 09:16 PM
tigercat

I am one of the ones that was on a lot and then just started to lurk. After our cruisemate cruise to Hawaii from Vancouver on the Rhapsody, I didn't feel I had anything to contribute and we didn't think we would be able to afford another cruise for a while. As it turns out we ended up taking a Disney cruise with my granddaughter and my daughter but another board (a Disney board) gave me more info. Then my Mum and Dad needed me to help them with a cruise to Alaska. I made all the arrangements and came here to find out a few things. They knew what they wanted to do and what ship (after consulting with me) and we went along to help them. My husband finally said that we could go on another cruise and cruisemates had a cruise we could afford. I haven't been able to get back on the chat board but will try again soon. Having to look after parents who are ill as well as grandkids leaves me tired.
tigercat
Old June 6th, 2003, 09:22 PM
Admiral

I, too, feel like each of you is part of an extended group of friends, and an important part of our little community.

Jason, I too have always enjoyed your posts and your input. I think often of your mother, and her cookie recipe is in my special recipe box. Please don't leave us. I really enjoy your posts.

I have met some of you and hold dearly to my heart your acquaintance. Some of you I know only through the printed word but I enjoy you immensely. This is a great bunch of people and I am proud to be a part of it.

Old June 6th, 2003, 10:43 PM
Yeoman

I enjoy reading this board so much that usually read at least twice a day and when we went on our cruise this month, I wondered if I would go through withdrawls since we usually don't use the internet on our trips. We would rather use the money for excursions and souvenirs. I guess this is the first time for me to frequent a message board and even though I don't post in the chit chat of daily routines, I enjoy reading it. I definitely like to share ideas and thoughts if I've done something and enjoy hearing back when I've had questions. I've learned a lot and feel good when I can help someone else. So I'm still here even if I don't post. Just like everyone else has said, the people here are very nice.

Luanne

Post Edited (06-06-03 22:45)
Old June 6th, 2003, 10:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I may have been doing this Internet "cruise stuff" longer than most. First 6 years hosting cruise chat on AOL, and now more than 3 years at CruiseMates.

No question one of the really sad parts is getting to know people, sharing the excitement of their upcoming cruises, and then having them fall into their "regular lives" after a cruise, and not seeing them as often.

However... as others have said. The GREAT joy I've had meeting so many new and often lifelong friends more than compensates for the sadder moments, and it seems happen much more frequently.

We've made literally HUNDREDS of friends!! And it really hits home just what good friends they are when you hit a rough spot in your life, like I did recently with my mother's health situation.
I used to refer to my "virtual friends". But I know better. The friends we've made on CruiseMates couldn't be more real!!!

When we get the opportunity to meet again on CruiseMates cruises, it's like family reunions... with family you really like.

Occassionally in this media, we take each other wrong, or someone takes offense to a joke, but with a bit of a thick skin for ignoring the trivial complaints, it's easy enough to get through it with communication.

Old June 7th, 2003, 07:33 AM
Admiral

A vendetta against ME!!!!????? Are you serious????? (screaming at the top of my lungs) NO WAY!

I've never felt that way, seriously.

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 7th, 2003, 12:29 PM
Admiral

To Jason: please don't stop posting! I have NEVER found your posts offensive or "flaunting wealth", in fact I couldn't care less what anybody's bank account is. What I do appreciate is good friends and their support (like when your mom recently passed away), and everyone's wild, wicked, and wacky sense of humour! After all, if we can't laugh at ourselves, then life is just too serious!!

Hope to "Sea Yaaa" Jason, donna