Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2003, 02:24 PM
Linda T.

Default no birth certificate

My ex brother in law is planning a cruise. I told him he had to have either a certified BC or better still a passport. He said about 25 years ago the courthouse that had his birth certificate burned down and he doesn't know what to do. when he got his drivers liscence they had to take the family bible and they accepted that. Does anybody have any ideas of what he needs to do?
Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2003, 02:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default Re: no birth certificate

Linda,

What a coincidence. I just returned from the Local Court House, Birth Certificate Office In Orlando, Florida. With the mother of the child with me we placed an order for 2 BCs and within 20 minutes and $12 later they handed us the 2 BCs. That is the way we do it here.

Now where do you live is the next question. All birth Certificates are registered with the State, mostly. So call the local number and get information or contact the States HQ for info. should be real simple.

Ray
Old June 9th, 2003, 04:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

I live in Texas and we can go to any courthouse and get our BC in a couple of minutes as long as you were born in Texas. This applies in most states.
Old June 9th, 2003, 07:52 PM
First Mate

Linda,

I got mine online. I think most states have website that will actually allow you to order it by fax or internet with a credit card. At least I did order one from Louisiana with no problems and it arrive Fed Ex with 10 days, with a fed ex fee of course. What state was he born in?

Denise

Fantasy Dec 2 Big Easy to Mx
Old June 9th, 2003, 08:19 PM
Linda T.

Default Re: Re: no birth certificate

He was born in Alabama. The problem is when the courthouse burned down they lost all the records that he was born. This was years ago when it happened. His parents tried to get one and couldn't when he turned old enough to get his drivers liscence. So they had to use the family bible. That worked 25 years ago, but there is no way it would work now. It would seem that someplace somewhere would have proof he was born he just didn't know where to start so I thought I would ask here.
Old June 9th, 2003, 08:43 PM
Admiral

Try the state courthouse, if a birth certificate was registered, the state should have a copy. One of the state agency's should haave a copy, somewhere.

Post Edited (06-09-03 20:44)
Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old June 9th, 2003, 09:58 PM
KTW35

Even if there is literally NO record,don't panic.Some agency will have an answer.Its just too important.Good Luck.
Old June 10th, 2003, 07:15 AM
seabee

Born in Alabama! What a blessing...I only assume he is not living here anymore, what a curse! Seriously, try calling 334.206.5418. This is the number listed in the telephone book for "Birth/Death Certificates" for the State. Maybe they can help.
Old June 10th, 2003, 07:16 AM
First Mate

There are alternative forms of identification used by the cruiseline. Perhaps you should call or email your cruiseline and ask then to fax or email you a list of the acceptable forms of Id they use. The post office could also help you. See them for a passport and they will have a list of accecptable forms of ID to issue the passport, which would be all he needs to travel. Good luck.

Fantasy Dec 2 Big Easy to Mx
Old June 10th, 2003, 09:43 AM
Linda T.

Thanks everybody. I have forwarded all the info to him. I knew somebody here would know what to do.
Old June 10th, 2003, 10:15 AM
Admiral

Also, try contacting the hospital in which he was born. They should have a record of his birth, attending physician, date, parent's name, etc. This information can be used to get a new birth certificate.

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 10th, 2003, 05:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

My late husband was born in 1936, at home on a ranch in Colorado. Since theree was no doctor in attendance he never was issued a birth certificate. This never was an issue until we had to have a passports for a trip to Tahiti.

His passport was issued in 1982, based on affidavits from his older sisters, his confirmation certificate and grade school records. Needless to say it took a little longer than the usual processing time that mine took.

Get a passport. Vince always found it to be an acceptable substitute for a birth certificate.

On one Caribben cruise, when I forgot my passport, they accepted a voters registration card and my California drivers license and proof of citizenship.
Old June 10th, 2003, 10:11 PM
Admiral

Be advised, non-citizens can and do have voter registration cards and state drivers licenses and for that reason they are NOT accepted as proof of citizenship. Post 9/11 you MUST have at least an original Birth Certificate and a state issued photo ID or passport. A passport is by far the best thing.
JIm

Old June 11th, 2003, 11:16 AM
Mary L.

Just another thought -- he should get a "delayed report of birth" issued in the state of his birth. Someday he is going to need to prove his age to obtain social security, medicare, etc. and he will be better able to get "proof" of his birth now than in 10 or 20 years from now.

The passport is an excellent means of identification and "proof" of birth but may take longer to obtain than the "birth certificate" based on a delayed report. If his mother is still alive, she should be able to make the report; if not, there are various means of proving the information and getting the registration.

Hope he gets what he needs in time for the cruise!

Mary L.