Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2003, 07:20 AM
Admiral

Default POLL: How did you meet your spouse/partner/significant other

I guess I am in a romantic mood. I loooove hearing stories about how people met.

If you are attached, how did you meet your spouse/partner/significant other?

Mine is kind of long, sorry.

Mark and I met on Dec. 30, 2000. My best friend from high school (who turned out later not to be such a good friend, but that's another story) was living here in Orlando and I was living with my parents in the Florida panhandle attending graduate school. I came down to visit her for New Years.

Her live-in boyfriend, whom she had met through work, had gone to high school with Mark and they all were still good friends. Well, he happened to come over that night and we all went out to Universal's Citywalk. I remember the moment we met very clearly - it didn't seem to have any significance at the time, but it changed my life! He and I just talked to each other all night.

The next night, new year's eve, my friend had a party and a huge crowd came over - including the girl Mark was dating! An awkward situation for him, although I didn't know what was going on. Well, we talked a lot that night too, but I didn't get a new year's kiss and didn't see him again during my visit before I left for home.

After I returned home, thinking, "that guy was so cute and nice but I'll never see him again," Mark bugged my friend until she gave him my e-mail address and he wrote me. I was thrilled! The rest is history... it was my last semester of school, and we wrote back and forth and talked on the phone for months, and when I graduated I got a job here in Orlando. In fact, I didn't see him at all between New Years and May! But after we reunited, we just knew instinctively that it was meant to be, and we've never been apart since!

I certainly wasn't looking to meet anyone... my plans were to go abroad after graduation... but he literally walked in the door and turned my life upside down.

So, what's YOUR story?

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Post Edited (06-10-03 09:14)
Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2003, 08:52 AM
Admiral

Default Re: POLL: How did you meet your spouse/partner/significant o

Great story Michelle, i love to hear peoples' "how me met" stories too. Here's mine:
I was a divorced, destitute, single mom, of a 10 and 5 yr. old. Some friends had dragged me to a One Parent Families dance, and as usual, left me alone while they danced the night away. At one point I noticed a man who I knew very casually from my bowling team ( we had played each others' team at one point). I went over to say hello, and talked the rest of the night. He invited me out for dinner; I figured we'd go to the local BBQ chicken place (a big treat for me in those days). Instead, he took me to the most exquisite, lovely, expensive restaurant, and we had the most wonderful 1st date. The rest, as they say, is history. Ever since James came into my life, I have been wined, dined, treated like a queen, and best of all, introduced to cruising! I forgot to mention, he is a steam train fanatic, and when we got married in 2001, we held the wedding at a local train museum, on the platform, in period costume,next to a working steam train! ( see attachment for photo). In fact, the bride (me) was delivered to the groom, via steam train! It was the best day of our lives!

donna

Old June 10th, 2003, 09:26 AM
Admiral

I had just gone through a divorce and was also still recovering from some very serious injuries from my motorcycle crash and feeling a little down with all the surgeries I was having so my buddy Tip, (Aaron Tippen, before he made it in Nashville), invited me out to watch them play, (Country Music), at a small lounge. My Brother-in-law was his drummer at the time and he arranged for his sister to bring a couple of friends with her that night knowing I would be there. One look and I was in love with this lovely lady I am now married to.
Jim

Old June 10th, 2003, 09:28 AM
First Mate

I love stories like that too. My Mark and I met in a bar/club. I was sitting with some friends in the middle of about 150 people. Mark comes in the door (bouncer was carding), our eyes met, and without going into too much detail <wink>, we have been together ever since (almost 20 years now).

Ok Michelle, now I want to go home and curl up in front of the TV watching chick flicks for the rest of the day. ;-)

Robin

Costa Atlantica 3/2004
Brilliance 2/2005
Brilliance 2/2006
Brilliance 2/2007
Explorer 2/2008
Old June 10th, 2003, 09:28 AM
Captain

My wife and I met at a roller skating rink. I had seen some guy that kept bothering her and she was having trouble avoiding him. I decided to just get in his way by having her skate with me. I was with some friends that I was in a band with and after skating we had a little music session in the parking lot and my wife stuck around to listen. As the say the rest is history. Everyone told us we would not be married a year. I guess they were right this July will be 31 years.
Old June 10th, 2003, 09:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

I lost a bet.

;-)
Dean
Old June 10th, 2003, 09:57 AM
AR

Picked up my wife in a downtown Washington bar in late September of 1968. 35 years later it still stands as the luckiest night of my life.

The place has long since been torn down and now the posh JW Marriott Hotel occupies that real estate. On our anniversary we sometimes stop by the Marriott for a drink, but it's not the same. No honky-tonk piano player, no smell of stale beer.

AR
Old June 10th, 2003, 10:11 AM
Admiral

Oh gosh, I don't remember. I do remember waking up on a Monday morning after a weekend drunk and screaming "I married WHO ! !"

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 10th, 2003, 10:20 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Art and I met on a BBS (bulletin board system, for those who have not been online as long).

We finally decided to meet in person after exchanging online messages for a couple months. Art wanted to do one of the cheap and non-committal coffee dates, and I said it was dinner or not at all. As was a forebearer of things to come, I got my way. :-)

Dinner went well, then coffee afterwards, then a little drive, where we ended up parked and talked some more (cut to crashing waves).

The next day Art brought me a dozen roses the next day, and we've been together ever since.

A week from today, it will be 8 years.

Harry
Old June 10th, 2003, 10:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

In late 1940 or early 1941 I was leaving a Skating Rink (Yes, PE D a skating rink was in my life) after the 1st session. I met a college friend who had a very attractive young lady with him at the door of the rink. They were cousins. They were coming in for the 2nd session. I said, "Ray why are you leaving so early". This was as I saw this attractive young lady coming in. So I reentered the rink and put my skates back on to skate some more. Yes, I skated with Helen and sure enough I tripped her and she fell. But I fell with her as well as falling in love with her.

Pearl Harbor happened and on January 3, 1942 Helen and I were married. We have lived and loved each other ever since and will for the rest of our lives.

Ray
Old June 10th, 2003, 10:30 AM
MISSU

Just goes to show old Cupid sometimes gets those darn arrows going in the right direction!
I met the person who I pray will become my significant other one day on a Mercury Trans/Canal cruise in 2001,circumstances prevented us saying what we both felt but the chemistry was certainly mixing o.k.Worst moment of all was seeing him at disembarkation and not being able to give him a hug.One day I hope we won't just be ships that passed in the night.I shall keep cruising and who knows one day.........
Old June 10th, 2003, 10:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

Me and my husband had both been through bad divorces. He had no children and I had a 6 year old son. We met through a personal ad in a singles magazine. Both lived in Oklahoma. We married in 1991 and he adopted my son in 1992. We have a daughter who is 4 and just celebrated our 12 anniversary.
Old June 10th, 2003, 10:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Mrs Kuki and I had both grown up in the same small community, and she claims she remembered me from when I was 7. We actually met at a party at my house (she says she first spotted me at friends party weeks earlier, but I don't remember that one). We were both 30, and neither had ever been married.

She was leaving on vacation for two weeks a week later. I courted her for the week, cooking lovely dinners etc. And drove her to the airport to get her to her California vacation. At the airport, I gave her a compass, so she could find her way back to me <G>

I picked her up at the airport two weeks later, and proposed that night.... almost 23 years ago.

She claims I deceived her because I haven't cooked her a nice meal since. I claim I never really proposed... just invited her to go to Hawaii with me for a honeymoon.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old June 10th, 2003, 11:07 AM
Admiral

It was Friday evening before Thanksgiving in 1964. A good friend wanted to go to his first highschool dance but since he was a freshman his mom would not let him go alone. I was a senior in a public highschool and this was a Catholic highschool dance
so I had to use my older brother's expired ID to get in. We got to the place and my young friend proceeded to go stand by one side of the room with the other freshmen . They were acting cool and checking out the room. But that's all they did all night.
Knowing no one else, I danced with several young ladies for a few hours and then decided it was time to go. I could not locate my friend so I continued to dance my way around the room. At one point I met this very pretty young lady named Rita. She was from a girls highschool in some town that might have well been the north pole for a kid from the Bronx. We spoke and danced for about 90 minutes, then she said she and her friends had to leave. We promised to meet next time. Next time turned out to be two weeks later and believe it or not my friend wanted to go hold up the wall again.
I danced with a few young ladies while looking for that nice girl from 2 weeks earlier. One of her friends actually found me and brought me over to her. We spent the evening
dancing and talking (me 16 at the time, she 15). Once again her group had to leave for the far off world she lived in. A week later her friend called me and invited me, for Rita,
to their Christmas dance. I got a ride to this far off world of Westchester County from my brother . We went to the dance and we have been dancing partners ever since.
We married three years later (another long story) had 3 children over the next 4 years
and subsequently 4 grandchildren . Rita is the lady you all know as Gram.
Old June 10th, 2003, 11:34 AM
Admiral

Skating rinks seem to be the thing of the day. I met Harry during a public session at the rink. At the time I was a US National Champion Dance skater and Harry was just a rink skater. My partner and I were doing the dance specials at the end of the session and Harry was doing the same dance on a slightly different pattern. He saw us coming towards him and stopped put up his hands and knocked us a good ten feet across the rink. Needless to say we crashed.

Being the sweet, quiet, reserved and shy person that I am, I came up off the floor in a minor rage (actually it was more like an explosion) and told him just where he could go. It didn't work, we started dating and have been married now for 41 years and although the explosions are few and far between now, we still practice them every so often just to keep in good form :-)

Carnival Glory
Old June 10th, 2003, 11:38 AM
joyful

Some of you have heard bits and pieces of my story before, but here it is (and it is cruise related!):

I was on a cruise with 4 other ladies, one of whom (my best friend, and still is) fell for one of the Cruiseline's band members, and hooked up with him. Since I was not comfortable with my friend going into a foreign port (Playa del Carmen) with a man she did not know anything about, I went with them, and HIS best friend came along, too. I wanted nothing to do with him, but we spent a few hours chatting on deck that night and the next. I still wanted nothing to do with him when I left the ship!

I started receiving cards and letters from him a few days after I got back home, as did my friend from her guy. We went back and cruised a few months later (2-day cruise to Nowhere), and I got to know him a little bit better, but was still not convinced that he was for me. We went back a few months later (for a 5-day to Mexico again), and I was hooked. He was sweet, kind, considerate, etc. We were "twitter-fied", as my friend says.

We "saw" each other (translation: 2 or 3 letters a week, one or two phone conversations a week, short cruises every 2 or 3 months, and 2 dry docks spent in my home town) for two years before getting married.

We met in 1987, married in 1989, and are still in love and happier than I ever imagined I would ever be. It just goes to show you that when you stop looking for love (which I struggled with for so long), God gently drops that someone special in your lap.

Oh, and later, to go along with the Prince He gave me, God gave me the most precious gifts of twin boys, with another one (boy) 15 months later. They are almost 13, and 11 yrs old.

And, on a side note, I've got to say how impressed I am that so many men are so romantic and remember the details of how and when they met. I expect that of the ladies, but not so much from the guys. I guess men that cruise are just natural romantics!
Old June 10th, 2003, 11:45 AM
Yeoman

I worked at our local hopsital and the different departments did a for fun bowling league during fall bowling season. One department didn't have enough interested people for a team so one of the girls(Lori) got her husband(Steve) and his friend (Mark) to bowl with them. Someone from my team (Emily) was trying to play matchmaker the week that team bowled against ours. She knew me real well, but now it was time to find about about him. So she would ask him questions, though this was her idea not mine. I wasn't ready for a relationship at the time. The first question she asked him was " who is that little boy with you? Is that your son?" Which it happened to be his 9 year old little brother. He was not married. Of course he said he was not looking for a relationship either! We were able to "avoid" each other at the bowling alley for about 3 months, then one night his team and my team went out for drinks after and the place was crowded and no tables left by the time we got there so they invited us to sit at their table. Then someone invited the group to their house and since he went to the bowling alley with Lori and Steve, he was without a vehicle so he asked if I was going and could he ride with me. I had to pull Lori aside to see if it would be safe to have him come with me and she said yes he is a perfect gentleman. We went for awhlile then Lori, Steve, Mark and I went out for breakfast! Guess what? Both of us who weren't looking, found each other anyway and we've been married 10-1/2 years.

PS. The 9 year old little brother gave me valentines too and he was the ring-bearer at our wedding!

Post Edited (06-10-03 20:22)
Old June 10th, 2003, 12:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

I moved, for the first time all by myself, when I changed jobs and left all my friends and family 3 hours away. Right after I arrived, the national park I moved to had a major natural disaster. I met my hubby when he arrived to work a temporary job in helping with the clean up. I first saw him when he stood with his back to me in front of my office door and I thought "nice butt". He turned around and said good morning. It took a few weeks but we finally got to talking quite bit when he used our copier or fax machine (for official business). First date was in Apr 1997, married in the local chapel Mar 1999. Since he said at one point "it would be a "blue moon" before he married again, we got married 3 days after the blue moon.

Suzi
Old June 10th, 2003, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

I transferred from American University (Washington DC) to the University of Central Florida here in Orlando my junior year. My sister already lived in this area.

I found a roommate through the school's housing office.....we shared a miserable apt. (you could see the sunlight come in thru the gap where the roof didn't meet the walls).

The apts. were sort of set up back to back......we thought surely there must be 10 people living in the unit behind us as we never heard the same type of music twice coming from the apt.

On Oct. 21, 1979 we met our neighbor....it was his birthday and he decided to bring a piece of chocolate cake that another girl had made for him to my roommate....he'd helped her with her car when it died in the parking lot.
I guess the rest is history as Dave and I have been married for almost 21 years now! We haven't seen the roommate in a long time. And it was only him.....he likes all kinds of music!

I love the story of my parents meeting. My mom was a visiting nurse and was assigned to take care of my father's father. Dad says he knew the first time he saw mom that she was the one for him......she was close to engaged to another and accepted a date with my dad just to make him stop asking! They were married 6 months later!
Angela Z.
Old June 10th, 2003, 12:46 PM
Admiral

What robin didn't tell in her post was that I had to chase her, literallly. Picture this, the night we met, we kissed {{blushing}} and I gave her my phone number, since she was going through a divorce. Well a few weeks later I had to pick up my nephew from school, as I was approching the house I lived in I saw her drive by, I shouted but she didn't stop. That ticked me off, she was the only girl I gave my phone number to. (Rule #1, never give your phone number to a girl, get theirs.) I thought that when I gave her my number that she was worth breaking Rule #1. So I turned my motorcycle around and gave chase. It took me three or four blocks to catch her (at a stop sign) . It ends up that the reason she didn't stop was that my nephew, who was on the back of my motorcyle had long blond hair, she thought he was a she. {{}} That was back in 1985. to this day I still poke fun (lovingly) at her. ;-)

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old June 10th, 2003, 01:03 PM
Admiral

Carol was coming off a bad marriage, and at the time, she didn’t want anything to do with men. She was a waitress at a restaurant that I frequented. I got to know her about 3 months and got the nerve to ask her out. She flat turned me down on multiple occasions, but I was persistent in my quest. She began to enlighten me about her life’s problems to discourage my advances, to no avail.
I finally wore her down and she had agreed to go out with me if she got to choose the time, place, and circumstances of the date. This was her conditions; I was to take her to the Sea Aquarium on a Sunday afternoon, with her kids. “Kids? I asked”. She had talked a lot about her baby, but not Kids, in the plural sense. “How many kids do you have”? I asked. She quickly replied “7”. At this point I took a deep breath and managed to squeak out, “oh, that will be fun”. While wanting to run as fast as I could, I reasoned myself to believe that I had begged her so long that at least I owed her this.
That Sunday I pulled up to the address she had given me. In the front yard were 6 children playing. Upon a closer examination I noticed that 4 of the kids were Asian. At this point Carol came to the door with baby in arms. I guess she noticed the perplexed expression I had and she explained that the kids in the yard were her roommates, with the exception of 2. The 5 of us did go to the aquarium. Carol, the two 3 year old boys and a 7 month old baby girl and myself. I fell deeply in love. Not only with Carol. I fell in love with my whole godsent family. That was 32 years ago. We still have hopes that this marriage thing will work out….

and laughing is contagious,
here’s hoping for an epidemic!
Old June 10th, 2003, 01:05 PM
Admiral

Jake and I met at what we called a navy party while I was in college. The college I went to was mostly women and the Navy had a nuc training school not to far away. Many of the guys rented cottages on the lake nearby. I knew Jake was special when I first met him, but he was a little drunk and that turned me off. Before I knew it he was calling and pursuing me. I was charmed by his kindness and gentleness. I don't think I had ever been loved like that. We were married 6 months later, 2 weeks before he went out to sea on the submarine. It's been 32 years since that day and I love him more today than I did then. Life just keeps getting better.

Phyll

Old June 10th, 2003, 02:34 PM
LoveableLisa

Joyful, what happened with your friend and the band member? did they get married?
Old June 10th, 2003, 04:26 PM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to cherdorsey Send a message via MSN to cherdorsey

It has been so long ago!! BUT it feels like yesterday.Would you believe a BLIND DATE? He says love at first sight! I say "this guy is something else"! But 2 boys <bio> 3 girls<adopted> & 6 grandchildren later we get out the old photos& laugh at how we have all changed
Old June 10th, 2003, 06:57 PM
Admiral

WOW! I'M BUSTING WITH LOVE ALL OVER!!!

Robin not Mark!!! xoxoxoox

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09

Old June 10th, 2003, 09:45 PM
Admiral

She really has to learn to sign me out, before she posts this kind or stuff. {grin}}

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09

Old June 10th, 2003, 09:58 PM
Admiral

Wow! I didn't know there were so many "closet" rollerskaters out there! You'd think with all the time I spent at the roller rink (I think I LIVED there for a couple of years!), I'd have met my mate there, but NO, I had to meet him initially, at a BOWLING alley! I don't even LIKE bowling!

donna

Old June 10th, 2003, 10:42 PM
Gisane

Default Re: Re: POLL: How did you meet your spouse/partner/significa

I met my husband at a single dance club ,we both had experience a bad divorce after beeing married for 25 years{each of us} His children 3of them kept telling him to go dancing and meet someone, and my only daugther kept telling me the same thing,when you go to h----- and back after beeing married for so long you just cant imagine of beeing happy ever again, but I guess it was our destiny to meet because both of us went dancing that night and it was a magical night Dec 20 1997}
We danced all evening and talked went for coffee after the dance and he ask me to go for dinner the following day, also bought some tickets for a New Years party at that same dance hall{which was called Alladins}
The next day when I arrived home{ at my daughters place} I did not have my house anymore, there was a big surprise a dozen red roses from him and this poem:
By the way we are both Leos
To a Leo from a Leo
on this special day
I send you these flowers to brighten your day
I really am happy that I have met you,sometime in my heart
one and one will make two
Till I see you again I really cant wait
Merry Xmas from Harris ,New Years eve is our date.
Got engaged in March, 1998, married October 1998
Honeymoon In Vegas at Alladins {because we love that name }
WE celebrated our 5th anniverssary on the Carnival Pride last year
we have been happy ever since and in Love I now have 3 beautiful step children and my daughter now has a brother and 2 sisters.
Do I believe in miracles? yes I do
Old June 10th, 2003, 10:51 PM
Admiral

October 15, 1995. 7:00 a.m. St. Croix. Carnival Fascinaton. Imagination dining room. "Good morning. My name is José and I will be your waiter for this cruise." One tiny moment in time that changed forever all time to follow.

I looked at his nametag and replied, "Good Morning, José Chavarría," pronouncing his name just like a native Spanish speaker. He looked at me quizzically ( I look VERY gringa!) and asked me if I speak Spanish. I replied that I did, and we began to converse in Spanish. Just like joyful, after many postcards and letters, several phone calls each week, his visit to Arizona, another cruise, my visit to Costa Rica and his 5 kids..... We were married in his nephew's back yard in San Rafael de Heredia, Costa Rica, on January 1, 1997, and each year just gets better and better.

I had been married for 14 years and then divorced, a single mother, for 12 years when José and I married. My daughter was leaving the nest, and I would have faced the next phase of my life alone had this wonderful man not come into my life when he did. He is a very special person. We are from different cultures and family dynamics, but we complement each other's personalities in so many ways. I look forward to many happy years sitting next to him in our rocking chairs on the porch of our little house in Costa Rica!

Old June 11th, 2003, 06:26 AM
Admiral

Gosh. This is really complicated. I don't remember when I first met her. It wasn't love at first sight, more like love at insight: Sometimes you don't find what you want until you stop looking.

She and I worked at the same company. I was a call-screener/clerk in the office where her best friend worked. She and I would go to lunch with people from my office.

Shortly after I transferred into that office, I had put an end to a 10 year marriage to an irrepsonsible shrike. I lived in near monastic poverty for the following 3 years, but even that was better than the marriage. At about the time that I added celibacy to my "holy" orders--i.e. I realized that I was better off not being attracted to the kind of women I seemed to attract--Chris put an end to her unhappy marriage. In essence, she became available right after I figured out how to be happy alone. So I wasn't really interested anymore.

Over the course of those 3 impoverished years, however, Chris had become a good work friend. But she always seemed somewhat naive to me. I was worried about her in the singles scene. There was no telling what some of the predators out there might do to her. I tried to become her protector. And that's how the whirlwind started.

We were married in a civil ceremony 3 months after her divorce became final. The only rings we had with us were "service anniversary" rings from the company, so we used those. The County clerk said we were the only happy couple she had seen that day, the day after Thanksgiving. Chris told her: "That's because I'm not pregnant." The clerk laughed. But she almost fell off her stool when I said, "She's not, but I am."

That whirlwind has been spinning now for 14 years and shows no signs of slowing down.

Steve--But I still love the sea, too--and, of course, Sensation.

Until Enchantment.
Until Inspiration
Sensation 2/03