Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2003, 07:45 PM
Admiral

Default Norway Cancelled until 10-05-03

The Norway sailings are all cancelled until 10-05.Finally NCL has announced the dates for the Norway to return to service. They will give those affected by the cancellation $50 credit per person up to $100 per cabin. I don't even think that will pay for airline cancellation fees.
Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2003, 08:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Norway Cancelled until 10-05-03

It is a shame... but those people who had insurance would be covered. Not sure we can reasonable expect the cruise lines to cover everyone's a** when something like this happens.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old June 11th, 2003, 09:40 AM
Admiral

That's a real shame. It wouldn't surprise me to hear later that they're retrofitting the old girl with diesel electric motive power. They'll rip her soul out to save money on insurance premiums.

A similar thing is happening among steam powered tourist railroads in the U.S. As the trains begin to be pulled by historic diesels, the old iron horses become static displays, majestic but lifeless--like the specimens in a big game hunter's trophy room. At least ships converted to more modern propulsion still have lives. But I expect such conversions to become mandatory over time, even for such exquisite beings as the Delta Queen. I think there's a very sad message in the writing on the wall.

Steve

Until Enchantment.
Until Inspiration
Sensation 2/03

Post Edited (06-11-03 11:44)
Old June 11th, 2003, 09:53 AM
David Starkey

As a Norway fan, I am concerned that we may never see her sail again. When tNCL determine's where she will be repaired and what needs to be done(once they really get into it) the repair costs may be too expensive to repair her.(i hope I am wrong).
Old June 11th, 2003, 10:21 AM
Lisa K

i know that a lot of people feel the same way as you do Dave. The Norway is the grand lady of cruising, she set the mark many years back, it would be a shame to see her go.
Old June 11th, 2003, 11:31 AM
susancruzs

I feel the same way, sailed on her in 83, 84, 85 and 96, two of those being across the Atlantic, an experience I'll always treasure!

She is one special ship, in the last week or two, I've looked at my book about her conversion several times and pulled out my pictures, just remembering.

It's just sad and combined with the loss of lives, I wonder about her sailing again as a steam ship. In the 80s alot of the engine room crew were Norwegian and that has changed over, maybe due to wage scale. There's probably alot of underlying issues here that we will never know about, although I could be wrong.

I'd just like to see her continue on for awhile but nothing lasts forever.

Susie
Old June 11th, 2003, 10:54 PM
Yeoman

I just got back in May and looked at my pictures again today. I might have said it in one of the other messages somewhere else, but when we were in St. Thomas and at Paradise Point tram, I looked in the Inner Harbor to see the glitzy nice pretty cruise ships, then I looked to the outer harbor and there standing alone in all her glory was the Norway. She seemed lonely out there, but there was something special about the view. It was the one thing that completed the picture. I hope more people will get to experience that same feeling that I did up there.

Luanne