CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Last minute bookings... (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/264385-last-minute-bookings.html)

rollerdonna June 18th, 2003 10:15 PM

Last minute bookings...

Has anybody ever made any last minute bookings? Would you get a better rate on the internet, or through a travel agent? Any do's or don'ts, and any suggestions?

donna

Chuck Palm June 19th, 2003 07:23 AM

Re: Last minute bookings...

I would get pricing from cruise line and internet. Then I would ask a qualified professiobal T.A. to book it, with an effort to match or come close on pricing. It is always best to have a T.A. working on your behalf.

LisaK June 19th, 2003 09:22 AM

ditto what Chuck said.

Nanatravel June 19th, 2003 10:06 AM

Research on the internet then contact a reputable TA who should be able to meet the price and provide service like airline, pre-stay hotel, etc. The closest we have done was about 6 weeks out. We didn't think we could travel, but an opportunity came up and the price was right for a prime winter week on a brand new ship. TA got us some cabin perks from the cruise line too that we would never have received from an online agent.

Jim Bragg June 20th, 2003 10:04 AM

Chuck has given you the best advice on this. Remember that the possibility of a lower cruise price may well be offset and then some by booking last minute air! Now for those of us who live close to a port sometimes we can get a great last minute deal from a TA that we have managed to gvet on their "A" list. My local agent once called me on a Monday and asked if I could go Sat for a 5 day at $250pp with the third just $59 and that included all port and taxes. (This was well before 9/11 and considered an unreal pricing BTW) Since then and in the last year we have on more than one occasion had less than a couple weeks notice with one time being booked on Wed, sailed on Fri
Jim.

mslvp June 20th, 2003 12:57 PM

Hi!

If you go thru the internet, be very certain it's a legit company.

Travel agent in my leads group had a cousin who insisted on booking on the web & when they got to Florida, their tickets were not valid. I can't remember if the cruise line made concessions & took them or not.

I buy airline tix & hotel reservations online all the time but only thru "big"companies.

And, yes you can do better at the last minute. I just booked a couple on the Dawn Princess (8/25 out of Vancouver) for $1299 each - outside with balcony & included$75 pp shipboard credit.

Lois/The Perfect Vacation