Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 18th, 2003, 09:15 PM
Admiral

Default Last minute bookings...

Has anybody ever made any last minute bookings? Would you get a better rate on the internet, or through a travel agent? Any do's or don'ts, and any suggestions?

donna

Old June 19th, 2003, 06:23 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Last minute bookings...

I would get pricing from cruise line and internet. Then I would ask a qualified professiobal T.A. to book it, with an effort to match or come close on pricing. It is always best to have a T.A. working on your behalf.
Old June 19th, 2003, 08:22 AM
Admiral

ditto what Chuck said.
Old June 19th, 2003, 09:06 AM
Admiral

Research on the internet then contact a reputable TA who should be able to meet the price and provide service like airline, pre-stay hotel, etc. The closest we have done was about 6 weeks out. We didn't think we could travel, but an opportunity came up and the price was right for a prime winter week on a brand new ship. TA got us some cabin perks from the cruise line too that we would never have received from an online agent.
Old June 20th, 2003, 09:04 AM
Admiral

Chuck has given you the best advice on this. Remember that the possibility of a lower cruise price may well be offset and then some by booking last minute air! Now for those of us who live close to a port sometimes we can get a great last minute deal from a TA that we have managed to gvet on their "A" list. My local agent once called me on a Monday and asked if I could go Sat for a 5 day at $250pp with the third just $59 and that included all port and taxes. (This was well before 9/11 and considered an unreal pricing BTW) Since then and in the last year we have on more than one occasion had less than a couple weeks notice with one time being booked on Wed, sailed on Fri
Jim.

Old June 20th, 2003, 11:57 AM
mslvp

Hi!

If you go thru the internet, be very certain it's a legit company.

Travel agent in my leads group had a cousin who insisted on booking on the web & when they got to Florida, their tickets were not valid. I can't remember if the cruise line made concessions & took them or not.

I buy airline tix & hotel reservations online all the time but only thru "big"companies.

And, yes you can do better at the last minute. I just booked a couple on the Dawn Princess (8/25 out of Vancouver) for $1299 each - outside with balcony & included$75 pp shipboard credit.

Lois/The Perfect Vacation