Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 19th, 2003, 08:48 PM
First Mate

Default WORST VACATION EXPERIENCE-LAND OR SEA?

I have two dogs to walk every night and we finally got perfect weather here in the midwest and while I was walking my dog and thinking about my next cruise I have booked, I was reflecting back on the worst vacation experience I've ever had. It was before I discovered cruises (#30 coming up) and I think that's one reason I started cruising. I was just wondering if anyone had any bad vacation experiences they would like to share; either on a cruise or a land vacation? Happy Cruising.......
Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2003, 09:21 PM
Admiral

Default Re: WORST VACATION EXPERIENCE-LAND OR SEA?

A bad Cruise? There's no such thing, is there? ()

donna

Old June 19th, 2003, 11:27 PM
Yeoman

I've been traveling almost every year, with my parents when I was younger and then with my husband and I don't recall ever having a "bad trip". I'm either really lucky or I don't let minor things get to me. I can't recall anything bad!!!

Luanne

Old June 20th, 2003, 05:13 AM
Admiral

Ten years ago, Chris and I set out for Florida. We planned a brief stay in Charleston, SC so that would be our first overnight. Everything went fine until we made a restroom stop at the first rest stop along I-26 E, just outside of Columbia. Went to start the car, and it just wouldn't start. A problem with the engine controller card.

The problem had us stuck in Columbia for 2 days, until a dealership opened. During that time, thieves broke into the car stealing $600.00 dollars worth of personal belongings.

Our first visit to Charleston was delayed for a year. To this day, I hate Columbia and will always make sure I'm not there after dark. And now that I've found a way to bypass it, I'll take the bypass.

Steve

Until Enchantment.
Until Inspiration
Sensation 2/03
Old June 20th, 2003, 09:04 AM
Yeoman

1983...Daytona Beach..Maverick Hotel. Timeshare exchange. Right on the beach, beautiful views. While we were going to our room, a souvenir bottle of peach wine I bought in Ga. fell out of the carry on and broke in the elevator. Man, that stuff was anything but "Peachy ". Really bad!! I held the door on our floor and tried to wipe the majority up, but I figured it would evaporate soon and let the car go. We smelled it for the whole week. Glad I was not going to drink it! The room had a murphy bed,(broken) changed rooms, refrigerator the size of a bread box, and the cook top stove didn' t work. After a few more little glitches we got a satisfactory room. We were already on the hook for the week so we made the best of it. We think about it every once in a while and laugh about it now. Wasn't so funny then, of course. I guess on hindsight, everything was pretty petty but at the time it seemed a big deal..;-)
SSaFWs..ED
Old June 20th, 2003, 10:42 AM
Admiral

One afternoon in an otherwise great vacation.
Do you remember the gas shortages in 1979? we were going to do a four week east coast tour with Disney World as the ultimate destination and highlight all by car. We cancelled most of it and decided on Disney with a stop in DC for the kids to see our capital and we did it all by train (Amtrac back in it's infant years). Disney was great but the Orlando to DC leg was plagued by delays. We arrived in DC about 6 hours late on a 105 + degree August day. Four kids ages 7 to 11 Gram and I made our way to our destination hotel, Key Bridge Marriott. We checked in and headed for the room with a bellman. In the elevator Gram promises the kids an immediate trip to the pool. Bellman tells us , the pool is under construction and is closed. I go back downstairs and with the help of a friendly manager we are on our way via van to another Marriott with a pool.
We checked in and headed for the room, as the bellman opens the door to the room, someone flushes the toilet in the room above us and the whole ceiling of the room caves in with water and other goodies (luckily it missed everyone). The bellman calls the front desk , reports the problem and they assign us yet another room. We trek through the hotel with 4 tired , hot and whining kids to yet another room. As we enter the room, we realize yet again there is a problem. Our sliding glass door to the balconey was open, (remember temps are 105+) and just beneath our balconey are the dumpsters for the hotel garbage. This room smelled like hot cow dung. At this point Gram , quite hot and tired, sat down on the bed and just started crying. The bellman accompanied me down to the front desk where I explained all this to a manager.
We are given yet another room, this one a bit too small ,but it was a room none the less.
By the time we fitted it with rollaway beds it was basically wall to wall bed,but, it had A/C
didn't smell, didn't leak and opened out onto the pool deck. Well, 10 minutes later the kids were in the pool, burgers and hot dogs were ordered and all was right with the world. So we thought.
A tired crew (including us) was put to bed right after dinner. Some time around 1am
we are all awakened by someone banging on our door. We are thinking , fire , flood,
who knows what. I go to the peep hole , only to see a room service waiter outside my door. He is carrying a bottle of champaigne on a tray. As I try to explain through the closed door we had not ordered anything, the waiter , who of course could not speak english, is saying over and over again one word. I finally realized he was using the spanish word for Complementary. I opened the door and took in the champaigne, to find that the afternoon manager, at the first hotel, had sent me a bottle of wine. Because of the three room changes it had taken all day and most of the night to get to us.
The whole thing transpired over a twelve hour period in the middle of a very wonderful vacation, but between the tired parents, the 105 degree heat, the four hotel rooms, the tired kids etc etc. it was an afternoon I will not forget.
Old June 20th, 2003, 11:50 AM
Yeoman

and i thought i had a bad one. You Win !!! ;-)
SSaFWs. ED
Old June 20th, 2003, 02:30 PM
Admiral

Good Lord Papa Bill,,,,that's the worst trip I've ever heard of. Like Ed says you win !!!!

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old June 20th, 2003, 02:41 PM
Admiral

You win, PapaBill! Your prize is that you get to laugh now. Sounds like the "Out of Towners" (Jack Lemon, Sandy Dennis) with kids thrown in.

Steve

Until Enchantment.
Until Inspiration
Sensation 2/03

Post Edited (06-20-03 15:05)
Old June 20th, 2003, 09:57 PM
Admiral

And the prize goes to Bill.

IF I were to enter, it would be the weekend I kidnapped Queeg for a weekend in London. As we pulled up the the hotel and got ready the pay the cab, we realized that we had less than $200 between us.

That was before international ATMs.

But we had a great time on plastic and a three-day tube pass.
Old June 29th, 2003, 05:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

We cruise 3 to 5 times a year all cruises are Good to Great BUT the Air getting to the ship is good to Very BAD.

Old July 9th, 2003, 03:30 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: WORST VACATION EXPERIENCE-LAND OR SEA?

I have to agree with you.....all the cruises are great, but each time we fly, things seem to get worse and worse. We have new security people at our airport and they are very slow and have only one line open......I know several people who have missed their flights because of this; yet when our senator went thru the line, they let him go first. I don't think this is right. it should be the same for everyone. I can't recall any pleasant air experiences, unless I go back about 30 years; but when you get to your ship, it all seems worth it. I have a cruise coming up in 4 weeks and I'm counting down the days here at work. They seem to be going slow......
Happy Cruising.....