Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 20th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Passenger

Default Golden Princess or Explorer for Handicapped?

We are looking to sail on the Golden Princess or the Explorer of the Seas for New Year with my father in law who is handicapped. Does anyone know or have an opinion on which would be better for someone in a wheel chair? Does anyone know anything about the accessibility of these ships beyond the cabins? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2003, 08:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Golden Princess or Explorer for Handicapped?

Hi dogsambarn,
I would suggest RCCL for one reason that when going from inside the ship to outside, all the doors open automatically, noticed on Princess they didn't. I would think getting around that would make a big difference. Both ships should have handycapped cabins which you'd also need. Next step would be to talk to a travel agent and see if you can find a handycapped cabin and go from there.

Have a great time, and do let us know what ship you do book, oK?

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 20th, 2003, 09:32 PM
SaraHaynes

I am in a wheelchair and have sailed both lines. There is no competition, Princess does a much better job in both ship design and attitude towards disabled passengers. Have sailed RCCL twice (Explorer and Brilliance) and have run into problems both times with RCCL. Never had a problem with Sun Class and Grand Class ships.

Of the cruise lines out there, Princess consistently receives awards for their accessibility on their ships. I know why - they deserve it.

http://www.princess.com/news/article...rticleId=na551
Old June 20th, 2003, 10:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Golden Princess or Explorer for Handicapped?

Hi Sara,
Thanks, I think thats just what Dog...is looking for, you'd have first hand knowledge of the differences of cruising with a handycap, had no idea there were much difference between ships.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 20th, 2003, 10:29 PM
Admiral

We had a handcapped cabin on the Star Princess. (D-732)It was most accessible. I believe the Star is roughly identical to the Golden. Cabin D732 has a huge balcony (abouut 40-50% larger than other minisuites)which would be very well suited to a wheelchair. The cabin had a huge bathroom with a seat in the very large shower, if needed. Everything was well within reach.
Old June 22nd, 2003, 11:51 PM
First Mate

On our first cruise on Explorer there was a large group of people in wheelchairs, ALS chatroom friends, who seemed to be having a good time. At our dinner table were a mother and daughter who had booked the cruise 2 days before sailing and found themselves in a handicapped accessible stateroom--it was HUGE! At least double the size of our deck 3 room and so was the bathroom which had the rails, shower seat, etc.
The staff seemed very friendly and helpful as they are to everyone.