Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 1st, 2003, 11:17 AM
Adam Francis

Default Is Radisson trully a luxury line?

Last month I sailed on the Radisson Seven Seas Voyager. This is the only ship that I have been on that is classified as "luxury". I found the ship and the overall cruise fantastic, but besides the passenger: crew ratio, I did not find it must better than Celebrity. The dinning room waiters did not even wear tuxedoes, and the service was good but nothing amazing. Although the ship was beautiful, and the people onboard were certainly from a higher class (just look at the prices), I still cannot compare it to a Four Seasons Hotel, or another top-notch hotel brand. Please, what are your opinions?

Adam Francis

Celebrity Galaxy- 7/98
Celebrity Zenith- 7/99
Rhapsody of the Seas- 12/99
Voyager of the Seas- 8/00
Celebrity Millennium- 6/01
Radiance of the Seas- 10/01
Explorer of the Seas- 12/01
Celebrity Millennium- 4/02
Celebrity Constellation- 6/02
Celebrity Summit- 8/02
Radiance of the Seas- 8/02
Norwegian Star- 11/02
Norwegian Dawn- 12/02
Celebrity Infinity- 4/03
Radisson Seven Seas Voyager- 6/03
Crystal Serenity- 8/03
Serenade of the Seas- 11/03
Mariner of the Seas- 12/03
Queen Mary II- 6/04
Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2003, 12:36 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Is Radisson trully a luxury line?

Adam:

I have been on Radisson twice; 19 days on Mariner and 7 days on Diamond. I will be sailing Voyager twice later this year. I was sold on Radisson after our first cruise and, unfortunately, there is nothing specific I can put my hands on. Yes, there is a lot more space. Also, there is a lot more crew per pax. But, you can get the same space on a premium line and their suite perks inlcuding butlers might bring level of service up to Radisson. However, if you compare a Royal Suite on Millenium for example to your basic suite on Voyager, some things stand out. One, Radisson will probably cost less, all things totaled. Secondly, you have the open seating and no lines (I didn't understand your comment about waiters and tuxdes, does it matter if they wear green or black?) Third, is the wonderful food which is probably matched in the specialty restaurants on Celebrity. Fourth, is the wonderful way they handle shore excursions; not a profit center on Radisson. Fifth, although you do occassionally hear "no," it is infrequent.

I have never been able to explain how I felt on the Mariner. I wish I was staying on for the world cruise like others on our sailing. I felt at home.

One more story, New Year's Eve. A number of people on this site sailed Grand Princess for New Year's Eve two years ago. Numerous complaints about lack of free champagne. On the Mariner, night started off with a free cocktail party in the theater. They were giving door prizes. My father won a bottle of champagne. My wife won a bottle of Dom. I didn't win the free cruise! We went to dinner with new friends (no problem switching from table for 4 to 6). Drinking all of our free wine and drinks with dinner as well as champagne before and Dom for dessert. After the show, Mariner had the band in the atrium. Waiters were bring around trays of chocolates , canapes, and caviar. Bottles of champagne were flowing. All up and down the atrium people were waiting for New Years. After midnight, the free pouring continued. You won't find this on Celebrity or Princess.

Oh, as we were getting ready for New Years Eve, we were sailing from Panama. We still had a bottle of champagne in our suite. I invited my parents over for sailaway. At the last minute, I decided to call room service for some appetizers. They explained that they had just delivered 41 trays of canapes to the lounges so they didn't have any on hand but that they would whip up a tray of appetizers for us. Ten minutes later, they arrived with chees crackers, and salmon; perfect with our champagne for sailaway.

What I am trying to say is that some of these experiences are hard to duplicate on Mainstream or Premium cruise lines. Also, many people probably wouldn't value these experiences as much as rock walls, ice skating, etc. I do value these experiences tremendously so I have chosen to stay with Radisson. I have a number of other stories from my two cruises with Radisson that probably would seem hokey to many, but are cherished memories to me. To each his own.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old July 1st, 2003, 01:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I haven't sailed Radisson YET (first will be in Aug. on the Voyager). However, I have sailed Seabourn a couple of times, and assume Radisson would be similar in service style.

Possibly there isn't a dramatic or glaring difference in levels of service, if you've been fortunate to encounter great service staff on other lines. The differences are possibly more intangible.
For example...one night at dinner on Seabourn, someone happened to mention how much they liked duck. The next night the Chef was carving a whole duck at that person's table.

Some of the more tangibles....

The open seating policy of Radisson.. I assume works like Seabourn's. The dining room is large enough to accomodate all the passengers, if they all happened to show up at the same time, unlike Princess or NCL, where you may have to wait until a table opens up for you. So.. dining when you want, with whom you want is more than a catch phrase.

The passenger space ratio does make a difference to your level of comfort.

Then, of course, there are standard offerings included which make it a different experience:

Gratuities to the vesselís staff
In-suite Bar set up (2 bottles premium liquor of your choice)
Bottle of Champagne In-suite at Embarkation
Complimentary wines with Dinner each evening
Complimentary Bottled Water and Soft Drinks

I hope to be able to expound on the differences in August after I actually sail the Voyager myself.

Old July 1st, 2003, 01:28 PM
Admiral

I've only sailed Radisson twice -- Song of Flower, 18 days, Pacific Rim -- Diamond, 13 days, Panama Canad.

And I am a long-term Celebrity fan (15 cruises from Meridian to three of the four Millennium class ships including the Horizon and Century classes).

There really isn't a valid comparison.
Old July 1st, 2003, 03:06 PM
thechad56

Hey Adam,

When are you going on the Qm2? I will be on the July 11th, 2004 sailing.....it would be cool to meet up and already know somone.

Chad
Old July 1st, 2003, 07:33 PM
Adam Francis

Thank you, I agree with all of you that Radisson is nicer than Celebrity. It is just not as nice as I had expected. Also, Pam, how did you like the Meridian? I am a Celebrity fan and have sailed on all four of the Millennium-class vessels. I am fascinated with the Meridian. How was it different from the Horizon and Zenith? How did it perform in the water? And information would be appreciated.

Chad, if you looked at my profile, I stated that I will be sailing in June.

Adam

Celebrity Galaxy- 7/98
Celebrity Zenith- 7/99
Celebrity Summit- 8/02
Norwegian Star- 11/02
Norwegian Dawn- 12/02
Celebrity Infinity- 4/03
Crystal Serenity- 8/03
Queen Mary II- 6/04
Old July 1st, 2003, 07:53 PM
Admiral

Adam:

I understand your point. Each of us has to experience for ourselves the luxury lines and decide if it is the right experience for us. When we were on Mariner, we met a nice couple (40s) that had costed Radisson as the same as a Cat 3 corner on Millie class all things considered. After their cruise on the Mariner, they decided that they prefered the Millie class to the Mariner. It is really an individual decision. That is why Radisson, and to an extent the other luxury lines, are trying to lure people up from the premium lines instead of cannibalizing luxury cruisers. If you can show them the value is there, you then just need to find the match. On our Diamond cruise, we met two couples that had never sailed Radisson before even though they were frequent cruisers. They came because of the great deal. They each have booked additional cruises on Radisson. Adam, sounds like Radisson might not be a match; I see you are going to try Crystal, maybe that will be a match. Maybe Celebrity is perfect.

just my two cents,

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old July 2nd, 2003, 10:38 AM
Admiral

Adam,

Meridian s a sentimental favorite. Unfortunately, she sunk.
Old July 2nd, 2003, 01:24 PM
Adam Francis

Oh yes, I know that she sunk several years ago under a new line. I just wish I cruised when she was still under Celebrity. I would have loved to try her. I loved the size and intimacy of Zenith, and I am sure that Meridian offered that but with a classical touch.

Adam

Celebrity Galaxy- 7/98
Celebrity Zenith- 7/99
Celebrity Summit- 8/02
Norwegian Star- 11/02
Norwegian Dawn- 12/02
Celebrity Infinity- 4/03
Crystal Serenity- 8/03
Queen Mary II- 6/04
Old July 2nd, 2003, 06:21 PM
Adam Francis

Actually, I have changed my mind. I did not know what I was saying. It really is a luxury line, and service WAS fantastic as was the accommodations. The only thing that was not amazing was the food, although it was still very good. Radisson and the entire luxury market is for me, even more so than Celebrity

Adam Francis

Celebrity Galaxy- 7/98
Celebrity Zenith- 7/99
Celebrity Summit- 8/02
Norwegian Star- 11/02
Norwegian Dawn- 12/02
Celebrity Infinity- 4/03
Crystal Serenity- 8/03
Queen Mary II- 6/04
Old July 2nd, 2003, 06:25 PM
Adam Francis

nd, about this topic on the other board about if Celebrity is an upscale line, IT IS. It might not be luxury, but it certainly is at the top of the mass-market. Everyone cruise rating book agrees, as do I. It is the elegance of the ships, superiority of the cuisine compared to other mass-market lines, and the overall good service that makes this line great. And, don't forget the small luxury details that they are now adding in. It may not be luxury like Radisson IS, but it certainly is equivalent to a four-star hotel on land.

Adam Francis

Celebrity Galaxy- 7/98
Celebrity Zenith- 7/99
Celebrity Summit- 8/02
Norwegian Star- 11/02
Norwegian Dawn- 12/02
Celebrity Infinity- 4/03
Crystal Serenity- 8/03
Queen Mary II- 6/04
Old July 7th, 2003, 11:21 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Is Radisson trully a luxury line?

Adam, Pam wrote a nice story about her Meridian cruise on her website. Pam, I hope you don't mind me posting the link here.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium