CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   POLL: When will ships be TOO big? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/264508-poll-when-will-ships-too-big.html)

mbuckellew July 2nd, 2003 08:21 AM

POLL: When will ships be TOO big?

Royal Caribbean is speculating about the creation of a new class of "Ultra-Voyager" ships. They would be 15% larger than the current Voyager-class ships, would weigh in at about 160,000 tons, and carry 3,600 passengers.

Do you think cruise ships the size of aircraft carriers are too far away? When it comes to ships, a lot of people seem to think, "the bigger, the better;" when do you think consumers will say, "enough is enough?" And do you think the cruise lines will reach a plateau in ship size, just keep building larger ships, or start building smaller, more intimate ships?

Cheers,
Michelle B.

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/co...zone=GMT-0500f
Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

cap'nkruzer July 2nd, 2003 08:27 AM

Re: POLL: When will ships be TOO big?

Economics will rule here. I do hope that there will always be the mid sized ships 1500-2500 simply for access to ports. Bigger is NOT always better...IMHO
SSaFWs..ED

Set4cruz July 2nd, 2003 09:17 AM

I'd like it better, if they did "have" to go bigger, that they would enlarge the rooms, balconies, etc. and keep the amount of guests down.

sue July 2nd, 2003 09:20 AM

Re: Re: POLL: When will ships be TOO big?

If they build bigger ships I just hope the rooms will be larger. Bigger is not always better I think. My biggest thing is to have a nice size cabin and good service. The service and overall food quality is important too.

PEB July 2nd, 2003 09:28 AM

For me the ships became to big a long time ago. I still prefer the smaller ships. I have had a good time on the big ships but I enjoy the small ships much better.

Marc July 2nd, 2003 09:28 AM

We're already there. Voyager class are over 3,800 pax counting 3rd and 4th berths. All ships are really designed for two per cabin. Any ship with the 3rd and 4th full is already too crowded.

Suzie July 2nd, 2003 09:58 AM

My vote is for the smaller ships. In May I sailed on Radisson's Navigator and loved it!

Initially, I was put off by her size, thinking " bigger is better" and never having sailed on a "luxury" line I was apprehensive.... not anymore! No lines, plenty of room at the pool, exceptional service... I could go on and on.

I was so impressed, I booked another cruise in Feb. for 11 days and can't wait.
I'm hooked.

Suzie

Dean Renner July 2nd, 2003 09:59 AM

Michelle,

Many cruise ships are larger than aircraft carriers! (The Nimitz class carriers, the largest warships ever constructed, displace 90,000 tons of water -- about the same as RCCL's Vision class ships.)

I feel that the Vision class ships are just about the right size. Any larger, and I feel lost aboard the ship, and there is just too much to see and do, especially on a shorter cruise. Plus, the larger ships aren't able to go certain places, the Panama Canal for example, due to their size.

From a business perspective, bigger is better due to economies of scale. From a passenger's perspective (mine at least!) -- they're big enough already!

Happy cruising,

Dean

David Starkey July 2nd, 2003 10:12 AM

Cruise ships have already become too large. I perfer mediume ships in the 60-80,000 ton range. I do not want to sail with 2500-3500 other passengers. Many of the liners have become floating hotels, not cruise ships.

Kuki July 2nd, 2003 10:18 AM

It's kind of funny.. almost 4 years ago when CruiseMates first started I wrote an article about big ships vs small ships. At the time the Mega ships we were talking about were just over 100,000 tons.
Now they are half again as big, and getting bigger, and 90,000 ton ships are considered "average" size.

I've sailed on ships from 10,000 tons to 142,000 tons... and the 70 to 90,000 ton ships are my preference. Large enough to offer all the amenities, yet you can still run into people during the course of the cruise who you met at check in <G>

Lisa July 2nd, 2003 10:57 AM

IMHO, the biggest cruise ships are already too big!

Seahunks July 2nd, 2003 11:11 AM

Cruise ships are already, basically, floating resorts--somewhat similar to the family camp shown in "Dirty Dancing." Perhaps a better analogy is an amusement park ride with a range of amenities. You simply spend the ride getting on and off the same ride over and over again, eventually getting off where you started. After all, we cruise for the same reason that some folks go to amusement parks--thrills.

I think the larger ship trend will lead to more and more of those mobile condominium type residences like the one currently being planned (I can't think of the name of it.) The future may even see timeshare condomarines (if there's no such word, consider it coined). At that point , ships will be too big. Until then, let's just watch, cruise and enjoy.

Steve

http://www.cruisemates.com/animated/...ing_smlCLR.gif
http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/co...zone=GMT-0500f Until Enchantment.
http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/co...zone=GMT-0500f Until Inspiration
Sensation 2/03

Post Edited (07-02-03 11:23)

mbuckellew July 2nd, 2003 11:17 AM

Re: Re: POLL: When will ships be TOO big?

Okay, Dean, maybe I should have said "supertankers!" :)

Cheers,
Michelle B.

mrchips14 July 2nd, 2003 02:51 PM

when you get on the ship in the front, in one port and get off at the back in another port, the ship is large enough.

susancruzs July 2nd, 2003 06:17 PM

I'll go on the bigger ships, but prefer 90,000 and under really. I just don't see the need for these huge ships and definitely not for the really, really biggies.

I remember when NCL first announced their infamous Phoenix project, I thought it was crazy then and I still do.

Susie

OhioGeek July 2nd, 2003 08:01 PM

As Dean said, the modern cruise ships are already larger than aircraft carriers. (Though the Nimitz class has a greater range and more firepower!)

My wife and I have only been on two cruises so far, so I can't really say what I like better.

The interesting thing is that according to a shipping/cruise news site I frequent says that on June 29th, Micky Arison from Carnival Corp revealed that they are planning to follow up on the Princess plan to build a 180,000 GT ship carrying "up to 4000 passengers". Princess would take delivery in 2006-07.

Maybe it's just a warning shot at Royal...

Chuck Palm July 2nd, 2003 08:33 PM

I too prefer ships with fewer than 1400 passengers. There is plenty to do but they are still somewhat personable. However there are exceptions to every rule and I have been on one very large ship that I enjoyed more than I would have ever dremed possible.

Dean Renner July 2nd, 2003 09:44 PM

Re: Re: Re: POLL: When will ships be TOO big?

Michelle,

Hope you didn't feel picked on! Didn't mean to, if I did!

I just happen to have (or be cursed by........! ) a keen interest in maritime matters. I'd be just as happy touring the engine room as sight-seeing in the port!

And as such I'll leave you with a couple of interesting maritime tidbits.

All U.S. Navy warships are built to Panamax standards, meaning that they all will fit through the Panama Canal. Even the great big aircraft carriers, with their enormous flight decks will fit.

As we're discussing these new mega-mega liners, in 1912, the "largest moving object built by the hand of man in all of history", the RMS Titanic, displaced 46,000 tons of water..........

I wonder what J. Bruce Ismay would have thought of the Voyager of the Seas.............?!

Dean

pamda July 3rd, 2003 03:09 AM

I don't know for sure what Ismay was thinking, but it might have been along the line of what Micky Arison is thinking.

Ismay might have thought, "Faster will sell !!!"

Arison may be thinking, "Bigger will sell."

Your guess is as good as mine.

Marc July 3rd, 2003 06:42 AM

Remember folks the differences between Gross Registered Tonnes (GRT) and displacement tons. No where close to being the same, one being enclosed volume of the ship and the other the weight.

mbuckellew July 3rd, 2003 08:30 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: POLL: When will ships be TOO big?

No offense taken, Dean. It's just that I've been on the U.S.S. Enterprise and remember feeling absolutely overwhelmed by its size. The biggest cruise ship I've been on was the Millennium so that's all I had to compare it to. Maybe cruise ships seem smaller to me because you get a map and they don't paint all the walls and public areas the same color. :)

I just should've done a little more research before I started this topic. Thanks for educating me. Just knowing that many cruise ships are already larger than aircraft carriers boggles my mind.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

AR July 3rd, 2003 10:44 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: POLL: When will ships be TOO big?

I wouldn't be concerned Michelle.

I just wonder if those who advocate bigger ships only IF the rooms are larger are willing to pay the inevitable additional fare for that luxury. I doubt it seriously. Somehow I don't think it's in Carnival's marketing plan to build a bigger ship for fewer people.

Just call me a party pooper, but I've got this crazy idea that the cruise industry is utterly fare-sensitive and cost-driven.

AR

LuvShips July 4th, 2003 11:42 PM

I prefer the 1200 to 1500 passenger ships but I would sail on a larger ship if it was a good deal.
Sharon

Bunny July 6th, 2003 12:48 AM

I was just on the AOS and had a great time! I did the Nordic, Radiance and now AOS, and AOS is my fav, never once felt crowded and like all ships kept running into the same people over and over. But I do like Amusemant parks and especially roller coasters, the bigger the better! Some of us do like them so there is something for everybody.