Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2003, 10:30 PM
AR

Default OT--The Virus Scare

Help me out here cruisers.

I could swear that a couple days ago there was a post on one of these boards from somebody (a regular I think) who said his computer had crashed and his hard drive was DOA because of a certain virus that is purportedly making the rounds.

Within a couple hours of that I got one of those round robin e-mails from somebody warning of the same virus.

Today I got an e-mail from a trusted friend saying that that particular virus is a hoax, and that in fact if you follow the "cure" prescribed in various e-mails you could screw up your computer.

Now I can't find the original post, and I think it may have been deleted because the whole thing is a hoax.

Notice that I have not named the supposed virus here, nor advocated that anybody necessarily take drastic action to fix it.

Have any of the proprietors or anybody else got any skinny on this? Was that post deleted for the reason I mentioned? Or am I just missing it?

AR
Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2003, 06:27 AM
Passenger

Default Re: OT--The Virus Scare

Forwarding virus scare messages also allows spammers to harvest your friends email addresses. Not only do I not forward such garbage, if I receive one from a friend, I ask them not to ever do that again.
Old July 4th, 2003, 06:54 AM
AR

Thanks guys.

The cynic in me has always felt that the "bug of the century," if there ever is one, will be transmitted in a "Beware of Virus" e-mail. It's just too obvious.

AR
Old July 4th, 2003, 08:52 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to babcie3

There is a web page that will tell you what is real and what is not.

http://www.snopes.com

This tells you all the Urban Legends.

Old July 4th, 2003, 10:27 AM
Admiral

AR,
I just went through a massive problem with my two computers and basically it was because I uploaded the new Mcafee Internet Security program. While doping so you have to cut off all former virus blockers, (I had Norton), and while the upload was in progress somehow that bugbear virus attacked the computer. Mcafee completely messed up my computers at that point and I needed a computer guru to come in and fix it. On my desktop we had to completely slick the entire thing and start over, (not fun and time consuming, so much so that I did it as it would cost as much as a new one to reprogram with what computer geeks charge) I now have sent Mcafee back to them for a refund and installed Norton back in with all their protection. I am protected for all these nasty things now and Norton gives updates as soon as a new virus is located so protection is current. Like Mike says, do not open .exe files unless you know not only who it came from, but that they actually sent it and you need it or were expecting it. Also those e-mails with multipul forwards are big no-no's. I have received a number of e-mails with the from line being addresses of people I know and I also know they did not send it! Additionally I have seen names I know in subject lines of spams which I know they are unaware of. Many programs are capable of grabbing names and inserting them in spam or viruses so always be vigilent.
Jim

(protected by everything Norton offers and feeling pretty safe now)

Old July 4th, 2003, 11:12 AM
susancruzs

I just got taken in by the "teddy bear" one that tells you to send it to everyone in your address book, delete the file, etc.! Fortunately, I sent it to someone I used to work with and he answered right away and saved me alot of trouble! I felt pretty silly!

One good thing came out of it, Paul direct me to various sites that list all the "urban legends" or "hoaxes" that are out there! I was amazed at the number, scarey really. I realized I didn't even know about a tenth of what is circulating!

I learned a lesson the hard way, don't act too quickly, check it out first! Alot of emails I don't open but for some reason the way this one was worded fooled me. When I was on the "hoax" site, there was a sample of the email almost exact wording of what I received!

Geeesh, the way some people amuse themselves!

Susie
Old July 4th, 2003, 11:21 AM
terryl

I also had a problem when installing the McAfee virus protection some time ago (at least 2 computers). It read my Win98 as a virus and deleted my operating system. That was a real pain to re-install everything. Luckily my better half is a computer guru, so he helped me to get the computer back up & running.

Never have had any problems with Norton Virus software.

Terry
Old July 4th, 2003, 01:23 PM
Admiral

I have McAfee on my computer and am not experiencing any problems at all. I installed version 7 after I bought my computer. Maybe it needs to be installed on new computers only or ones that don't already have a virus scan?

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)