Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2004, 11:29 PM
Admiral

Default Just a thought

Okay..you are going to see a serious side of the big guy now..
It's late and I just had some thoughts running through my mind..First if you can last through this then thank you and you are a brave person..>S<..I found this site some 4 or 5 months ago, it seems like longer, but time flies by when you are having fun. I dont think I have missed but 1 or maybe 2 days without coming here and reading or posting.
I have never even been to another site so I can't compare this one to any of the others.
I will just have to take your word for it as to what the others are like..I am not going anywhere else to find out..call that narrow minded or whatever but I call it loyalty. I love it here..and so far I have met some of the most interesting(antlers cross my mind)and the most friendliest people you could ever meet in a Cyber world..I hope to meet all of you in the real world some day. I feel like I was made to be a part of the "family" the first day I posted. You just dont find that anywhere else..especially in the real world. I think one of the most important things I really like about this site, other than the most imformative places on cruises, is the strong religous faith that is displayed by everyone.
Everyone is so quick to offer prayers up for those in need..myself included..I would never tell someone that I will pray for them and just go on about my business..and I think the rest of you are the same..just look at the prayers that have been answered.
I am really pleased to be a part of this website and I am more pleased to call you people my friends and family, if only in a cyber way..but like I said, I hope that changes in the near future and we can meet eyeball to eyeball >G< If I have ever, in anyway offended anyone, then email me and I will offer you my personal apology. Sorry for the long thread, but I just wanted to let you know how I really feel..I know I cut up a lot but I am sincere with what I have said..IF I can make just ONE person laugh and it takes their mind off of their problems for one second, then I have had a great day.
Hope you all have a great Thursday and as I always say..please stay safe.
God Bless.
John(who's objective is to meet everyone on CM)

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2004, 12:52 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Just a thought

Hey BigJohn, That was a touching letter!! I, too, would love to meet up with you and the rest of the CM gang one day!! Wouldn't it have been nice to go to the Florida brunch last weekend?? As I said on Chat, the boards here at CM may not be as busy as the "other", but people here are usually more 'real' especially here in the Chit-Chat thread.
I, too, have been laughing when I read a joke by someone; or the Fashion/Capris(hated fashion by "some";loved by others like me!!) thread was funny-one person was even nice enough to email me and ask if I wanted her to get me a pair ,mail them,and then reimburse her!! How nice is that??-to a total stranger(of course I did not ask her to, but the thought is what really counts!!)
When people get sick, I truly hope for them to get/feel better. And this is a good place to come and ask for advice/opinions on all sorts of topics besides cruising!
Thanks Big John for being a great CruiseMate member!! Sincerely, Brenda in Vancouver
(whoa-that was a long posting I typed!!)

Old July 22nd, 2004, 06:05 AM
Admiral

BigJohn: I know exactly how you feel. The folks here at Cruisemates are wonderful. I have many, many dear friends I've met right here. I am very glad you found CruiseMates. I know my day doesn't seem complete if I don't read/post on the boards. Cruisemates is a big part of my life.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old July 22nd, 2004, 06:39 AM
Admiral

BigJohn, sniff, sniff. It IS nice to have a little place in the cyber world where you know you can come for fun and cruise talk, as well as support and understanding. CruiseMates is just that for many folks. You said "I am really pleased to be a part of this website". I couldn't agree with you more!

As for the "eyeball to eyeball" part, why not book a CruiseMates group cruise and do just that-meet some of your fellow posters.

I would love to meet you on the Pirates of the Texaribbean CruiseMates Cruise next February!

Now, YOU have a GREAT day!

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?
Old July 22nd, 2004, 07:00 AM
First Mate

I think you've summed up how a lot of us feel. After trying other sites & happened on this one I found a great bunch of folks from all over & I look forward to just saying hello everyday.

"If we weren't all crazy we'd go insane"
Old July 22nd, 2004, 07:08 AM
Passenger

Even in France, where I read you, you've touched me. It is true that the net is often materialist and surface, but I stil think that people of goodwill - "pure hearts" like a friend of mine says- always meet.
I'm not posting as often as you all, because of the time, the language, and maybe some shyness, but be sure to have a real echo accross the atlantic.

Have a very, very good day," Monsieur" Big John, and all of you !
Old July 22nd, 2004, 07:33 AM
VTJen

I agree with BigJohn. This is a wonderful sight, filled with wonderful people. I think it works so well because everyone is willing to share the good, the bad, the exciting things, the disappointing things...the whole gammet of our lives. That is why is seems so real, because it is.

Alexa - don't be shy. Post as often as you want. Don't feel limited with the language barrier -we will help you through. I'll keep my French dictionary handy.

VTJen
Sensation 2/2003
Majesty of the Seas 3/2004
Old July 22nd, 2004, 08:14 AM
Admiral

BigJohn, I couldn't have said it better myself! What a lovely letter to share with all of your cyber friends! I too feel very much a part of a bigger family here on CruiseMates. You have no idea the horrible withdrawl I went through a few weeks back when I returned from my cruise and my computer was fried, and I couldn't share my excitement with my CM friends! Now that I am finally writing my story, and receiving wonderful comments from everyone, especially John, it brings me much pleasure to bring YOU pleasure!
And Alexa, Bonjour! don't be shy, post more often, je parle francais et je peut traduire pour vous!

donna

Old July 22nd, 2004, 08:29 AM
Admiral

that was a very touching letter. ya know we knew all along that your were just a big ole softie. Hummm we might just have to replace that razorback with a teddy bear! Love, Lisa
Old July 22nd, 2004, 09:11 AM
Jeanne&Ellis

BJ, You said it all and just right, I feel the same way. When I was going thru all "my stuff" in the beginning of the year, it was here that I was able to get comfort. God Bless you and Marsha. You sound like really great people. Of course all of our other"family'" are wonderful also.

Jeanne

Old July 22nd, 2004, 09:34 AM
Admiral

John, you are a sweetheart, and we are so glad to have you as part of the family here.
I wonder what the largest group of CMer's to take a cruise together has been. We should find out and see if we can throw out a challenge to top that.

Thanks for your kind words and for the humor you also bring to this place.

Lexxity, it is also great to have you joining us. I know the time difference makes it hard, but we're glad to have you anytime. As you can see, a lot of people around here can't sleep at night, so you never know when you'll find somebody posting.

Phyll

Old July 22nd, 2004, 10:28 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity

phyll,
what a nice thing to say, you've really brightened my day. i was going to comment as well that cms is a great place to come and post. sometimes you need to vent and thats ok and other times you need a lift and other times you can give a lift to someone. it's a great board and i would love to meet you all sometime, so can we have a cms cruise on a cunard ship ()?
i am actually meeting a fellow cm cunard poster on this trip. we've been communicating back and to for a couple of weeks and will be meeting for a little drinkie onboard.
anyway, i really have to go pack, oh the hardship! so i'll check in later and to everyone who needs my prayers today, then consider it done. i'm not really a churchgoer, but i do say a little prayer for all my family, friends and those in need.
take it easy
lexx

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Trans-Atlantic 2001
Queen Mary 2 - Caribbean - 2004
Queen Mary 2 - Mediterranean - 2004

QM2 Transatlantic
QE2 40th Anniversary Round Britain Cruise.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 10:47 AM
susus

BigJohn...I, too, hope to meet you & Marsha one day....You are a great asset to CruiseMates....Since we are only 60 miles away, maybe we could meet at McClard's BBQ one day........Or, maybe all the Cruisemate friends could go on the Carnival Conquest in December with you.....That would be fun....Sorry, I'm mostly a lurker, but enjoy this site greatly....Take care, Susan
Old July 22nd, 2004, 11:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

To John, and all the posters to this thread sharing the same sentiments,

I can't tell you how happy these types of posts make me!!! This is precisely the reason I said yes, when Anne and Paul who were just putting CruiseMates together, asked me to "work" for them here.
They told me... As the name implies, it all about CRUISEMATES... which means it's all about PEOPLE.

The goal right from the beginning, besides offering the best cruise information on the web, was to establish an "internet neighborhood and community" where PEOPLE were the driving force. And each and every one of you, and anyone else who happens to "move into the neighborhood", are integral parts of the community!!!

Old July 22nd, 2004, 11:25 AM
First Mate

Hi bigjohn,

I too have really enjoyed getting to know some of the people through posts, and hope to go on a cruise with the members someday to put names with faces. I have been deeply impressed with the level of caring I have seen on this board. I'm very grateful to have been directed here so such a nice community of people.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 11:46 AM
Admiral

Thanks John for posting my same thoughts--- wish I could give you a big hug in person.
I might not post much but its been my pleasure to have met and crusied with some of the CruiseMates posters-- and I hope do cruise with them again---
Cheer all
and yes sending my positive thoughts and prayers out to all in need
April
and thank you for being there when I've needed then too.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 02:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

I agree whole heartedly that this is a wonderful place. We wish everyone could've been in on the Sunday lunch at Bahama Breeze.......then we really would've needed bigger tables!
I don't know where else I would've gotten the kind of support I did this spring into the summer with the trials and tribulations of father in law in the hospital for so long and my dad moving to the Alzheimers unit.......thanks to all!
Angela Z.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 03:19 PM
Yeoman

To all CM's;
I have been mostly visiting these boards for about three months now with very few posts but lots of lurking.. Due to time constraints I do not have much time to actually post messages. However that does not mean that I consider myself outside of this family or community as I am there daily reading and laughing as the more active members post. John's message struck a nerve with me. I am 56 years old and the world we live in today is one that I did not grow up in and I find it almost alien. I can remember an entire neighborhood looking after kids including discipline. Our world seems to be descending into chaos with barbarians fighting us for our very existence. Within the borders of the US we seem split down the middle on most issues and the level of misunderstanding and hatred seems to be at an all time high. I can remember when we agreed to disagree and we did it graciously. Now it is like those who disagree with us are from the " dark side ".
The unigue nature of this board IMHO is the sense of " cummunity " as Kuki wrote. The magic is this is cyberspace and we don't know each other and yet are friends and we care. What a wonderful place where people from all over the US and including our other friends on this Global World we all share, can come together and not agonize over our differences but rejoice in our togetherness.
I have been struck but what I perceive is the genuine concern of this community with the lives and health, hardships, and troubles of the members. I do not believe it is fake and I believe when someone says they are offering prayer that they truly are. This is the kind of community I grew up in and sadly do not seem to find very often today.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 03:51 PM
Admiral

See Big…I told you if you post this on all the cruise boards, people would admire you…jk

Seriously now…You hit the nail on the head. I’ve always stressed how this community was far and above others because of its “family factor”. I also feel I know most people on CM better than people I have worked with for many years. We share a special bond, and a love that is non-conditional because of Race, Religion, Political or Personal Preferences, Fat or Skinny, Economic level, or Age. Every individual contributes uniqueness and certain qualities to the community. Yet, we are able to retain a certain ambiguity. Why does it work, so well? Is it, that common thread of interest shared by all us, cruising? Is it, being able to have access to a person at arms length 24-7, or being able to turn it off when needed? IMHO a resounding YES to all the above. Being able to control how much or how little, of the CM family, is a major factor. Whereas, face to face, you must offer a facade of sorts. If a person approached you in conversation and you looked at that person without any expression and walked away, You would be considered rude, arrogant, or offensive. We are not able to see reactions, body language, or emotions on this board. We can only take a post at face value (without a face) and then we have a multitude of options as to what we want to do, about that post. You have total control…How enticing…Most people here choose to genuinely care and that shows more than anything.

Thanks Big. I always get a warm fuzzy feeling when a newby realizes the “Family Factor” here at CM. Although That fuzzy feeling inside could be from that peach I had at lunch and it did take you 5 Months too GET it…Gosh he’s a slow one, he is…lol

Really…Thanks for the sentiment, Big!

and laughing is contagious,
here’s hoping for an epidemic!
Old July 22nd, 2004, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi BJ,
I think most of us feel the same as you do, this is a great site for a lot of different reasons, but the major one, being that we all love to cruise and talk about it :-)

Glad you found us and may-be some day soon you can join us on a CM cruise, hope you are still thinking about Jewel in Jan??

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 22nd, 2004, 04:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Big John:
This is a great place with many great people who I am happy to call my friends. I've been hanging around here for four years and I am still amazed at the friendships,support and fun that everyone shares. As Kuki said: That's why this place is called Cruise-mates.

Cheers mate,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 22nd, 2004, 11:10 PM
First Mate

Thank you Big John for saying the words that we all feel in our hearts.

F-A-M-I-L-Y

Warm fuzzies & hugs to you & yours.

Pudy
Old July 22nd, 2004, 11:28 PM
Admiral

Another day comes to a close as I have sat and re-read all your responses and all I can say is..It warms my heart to see what all of you have said..I never thought I would get a response like this..I hope it never ever ends. A BIG Thank You to each and everyone of you..and to all the ones that may follow..May your cruises be smooth and the wind always at your back, and may the love of GOD shine down on each of you.
Thanks Family.
John(with a tear in the corner of his eye)

Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:05 PM
Lynne &Trevor

Hey, wait a minute! I want to add my two cents!
Big John, your "just a thought" is what we folks have wanted to say for a long time. This is one of the friendliest places to be and I do feel like we genuinely care for each other here.
I stumbled across this board and these threads when I got curious enough to leave the Destinations Board, where I also have some new friends, some who will be going on the same upcoming cruise as us. I felt the warmth as I read through the posts here, and then I felt as if I wanted to be a part of the "Good Morning" group. Rollerdonna answered me right away about Montreal and I was hooked. Although I don't know all of your past histories, I feel that if I had a major problem I could come to this board and would be surrounded with a lot of care and support. I care for all of you-even though I don't post individual replies.

Ray did the best thing he could have done for us--he invited us to lunch in Orlando and made us feel included. That was a wonderful present. We met AngelaZ, Jodi, Ray and Helen, Jack and Kim, and Jack and Honey. We had a wonderful time, and ended it with hugs.(I am a hugger!!).

I could go on; the sentiment is sincere.Thanks,Big John, for putting your "just a thought" into words. We really appreciate you!!! Lynne

Old July 24th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Lynne &Trevor

Hi-Just a boost to get this topic up to the top! I believe we've had a lot of friends who haven't had the chance to post! Lynne