Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 8th, 2003, 11:15 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default luggage inspection

I recently returned from a vacation in Florida, to discover my luggage had been inspected..When I began to unpack, I noticed a plastic lock on my luggage..No big deal, BUT when i opened a container which had a brand NEW pair of tweezers, I noticed the point was mangled, which meant to me that inspector had damaged it somehow..... Anyone else have any problems with luggage inspections?
Trip/ Monday Chat host
Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2003, 11:27 AM
Desert Orchid

Default Re: luggage inspection

In the U.K.there has been a recent programme on the T.V about Miami airport and it showed gangs of baggage handlers opening and stealing from passengers luggage,it appeared to be a common occurence-maybe the tweezers were used to try and open something else?.
Old July 8th, 2003, 02:21 PM
susancruzs

I recently flew to Phoenix and on the return, upon opening my bag there was a card in it stating my bag was chosen to be inspected. I was using a rolling garment bag and every possible zipper compartment had stuff in it. Everything was still there but not as I had packed it. I figure if they want to go through all my dirty clothes, oh, well!!!!

Susie
Old July 8th, 2003, 04:08 PM
shipbound

It is amazing to me that a person's luggage can be opened without probable cause or a warrant. It any other circumstance that action would be a violation under the fourthteenth amendment and maybe the fourth. Could someone that is a lawyer explain
the law to me concerning this action.

Gary
Old July 8th, 2003, 04:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Trip,
I must say I'm surprised that they would damage your tweezers, you had it in checked luggage, so it would of been no threat to anyone or anything?? I knew this procedure would get out of hand and some handlers would cross that line, what can we as travelers do about it, we're at their mercy when they decide to go through our luggage??

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 9th, 2003, 10:02 AM
Admiral

What on earth would they want with a pair of tweezers?
Old July 9th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Admiral

Trip, similar scenario for us last cruise in April. We had Four checked pieces of new smaller size luggage secured with plastic cable ties, as is often now recommended on these great cruise sites. Two pieces were obviously checked by TSA as the zipper pulls were completely missing and a compartment was left partially opened and cable ties were cut off. We appeared to have same situation on the return, as another pull was "cut off". Only one bag out of 4 had a stamp on the baggage tags that TSA had checked the bags. It just seemed like unncessary damage to new luggage from one community airport and one international airport FLL. Fortunately, nothing was missing or damaged.
Old July 9th, 2003, 12:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: luggage inspection

Hi Pam,
Strangest thing I agree and why damage them and put them back??? This is a case where I think the luggage screening got out of hand?

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 9th, 2003, 08:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Pam...these tweezers were brand new and in a case....considering this. i KNOW they were tampered with..WHY i have no idea, but there is no doubt they were....
Trip /Monday Chat Host
Old July 10th, 2003, 09:44 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: luggage inspection

I don't undersand how different airports could be so far apart in their procedures for checking luggage. Last March we left from Des Moines, Iowa to LA for an Hawaii cruise and in our airport, they took everything out of my purse, even my make up bag and looked through everything. Coming home through LAX we had a lot of little bags in a big bag (souvenirs for the grandkids) and I told my husband, oh boy, they're going to open every little bag and in LA, they didn't even look in one of them. They were only interested in our shoes. Hard to figure........
Happy Cruising.....