Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2003, 11:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default POLL- Which cruise ship INNOVATIONS do you ENJOY the most?

The last few years, amid all the cruiselines newbuild programs, they've been adding all sorts of amenities to the ships... like rock climbing walls, ice skating rinks, special spa treatments, movie theaters, pool tables, "Freestyle dining" , "Personal Choice", alternate restaurants, mutli themed buffet areas..... ETC.

Which innovations have you enjoyed the most?
And which could you do without?

Post Edited (07-16-03 17:47)
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2003, 12:33 PM
Captain

Default Re: POLL- Which cruise ship INNOVATIONS do you ENJOY the mos

Out of the new inovaitons I have only tried Personal Choice once and it was not for me. I really have no interest in most of them. I go on a cruise to relax and as long as they have the pools, a place to walk, a traditional dining room and a lounge I am fine. I really do not need anything added to a cruise ship for me to enjoy a cruise.
Old July 16th, 2003, 12:51 PM
Admiral

I like the alternative dining options and II really like Celebrity's in-room access to your shipboard account data. It helps you keep track of your expense budget without having to wait for someone to answer the phone. It also keeps partners from buying future garage sale items from the gift shop.

Which might lead to another poll:

What is the dumbest thing you ever bought in the ship's gift store?
Old July 16th, 2003, 02:15 PM
Admiral

Kuki , you have just named every single "innovation" I personally could care absolutely less about. Nothing on the list would steer me to a particular ship, cruise or cruise line.
I think every single thing you named is a wasted gimmick that adds nothing to the cruise experience. (boy does that sound like a nasty mean spirited answer).
All I need is a clean room, good service, good food, readily available Corona, a lounge chair in the sun and away from the wind and Gram. The gimmicks are wasted on me.
Old July 16th, 2003, 03:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Papa Bill -

A lounge chair in the sun away from the wind and Gram??? That's not very nice. The rest sounds great, though. I'm not much interested in the gimmicks, either.

Suzi

Old July 16th, 2003, 03:57 PM
Yeoman

It's funny how two people can read the same thing and get different meanings. I saw this as Papa Bill saying that in the list he wants his chair away from the wind and Gram is the last item that he wants on his list I don't even know Papa Bill but I'm hoping that's what he meant Gram does too probably!!!

Luanne

Old July 16th, 2003, 04:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yeah, I know he meant it that way. I guess working with LE makes me more apt to see the statements that can be taken in more than one way. Couldn't help but comment, though.

Suzi

Old July 16th, 2003, 05:01 PM
Admiral

Alternative dining and internet access. Now, I can go to see forever and still be able to conduct business, pay bills, check the news, etc. I like to think of being on a ship as a resident instead of as a guest. Being a guest has such a short-term connotation.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old July 16th, 2003, 05:04 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to LGriggs548

I'm with Papa. give me a ship with a clean room good service and the traditional dining and I'm set. I never book by the "Innovations" and book instead with friends, familiy and itineraries, is there any other way to go? Not according to me. Gotta say though that the more sea days an itinerary offers, the better I like it.

Linda
Old July 16th, 2003, 09:36 PM
Admiral

We have really enjoyed the alternative dining rooms on the cruises where we have tried them (not Freestyle or Personal Choice). I also like internet access. I don't use it a lot, but I do like to be able to check in with friends and family when I choose. Otherwise, we really prefer a traditional cruise, and itinerary is usually the biggest deciding factor for us.

Old July 17th, 2003, 06:46 AM
evie

Default Re: Re: POLL- Which cruise ship INNOVATIONS do you ENJOY the

I love the personal choice dining. I like being able to eat when I want and be able to have a table for two for just my honey and me. That is a big factor for us traveling. So that is one reason we keep booking on Princess. We are not snobs or antisocial but I want to have dinner alone with my husband and relax. I don't want to feel like I am obligiated to make small talk conversations with strangers. Does anyone else feel this way?
Old July 17th, 2003, 07:41 AM
Admiral

Sorry, Evie, but I feel just the opposite when it comes to dining. Kim and I are a very gregarious couple who enjoy chatting it up with anyone and everyone. We've also shared our lives together for a long time. Dinner for two is great for newlyweds and other lovers who haven't had many opportunities to share an intimate table by themselves, but I can also say that we've had some interesting and gracious newlywed couples at our tables for eight or more. And frequently they were more fun than the older, seasoned cruisers.

If you enjoying huddling with your sweetie at a table for two while there are so many people around (some fascinating, some not) who would love to share their thoughts and experiences with you, that's certainly your option. It's just different stokes for different folks, I guess. Ah, romance!

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old July 17th, 2003, 07:44 AM
Admiral

Let's go with Luanne's interpretation. Perhaps I should have listed Gram as my first requirement for a good cruise.
Old July 17th, 2003, 08:45 AM
susancruzs

All I need is the ship, my cabin, food and I'm good to go. I do use the internet now and then mainly to say "hi" to my sister, I don't bother checking the news! Reading the headlines in the daily Times is good enough for me!

I like having the access to my account on TV and checking out shore excursions, too!
I don't use that much in the caribbean but places I haven't been actually seeing the excursion does help!

Actually I do ice skate and roller skate and don't care to try it on a ship!!! :-) There's a rock climbing wall near my house, too but haven't done that yet! Always a possibility though!!!

Susie
Old July 17th, 2003, 08:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

I don't know if you'd call it an "innovation", but the abundance of affordable balcony cabins is a huge plus for budget-minded cruisers! The Carnival Spirit class is a perfect example of this.

Dean
Old July 17th, 2003, 08:52 AM
Admiral

I like the picture I.D. on your shipboard card. Makes getting on and off the ship while in port much easier.

Regards,
Thomas
Old July 17th, 2003, 09:49 AM
Dean Renner

"All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."

What was good enough for John Masefield in the 19th century, is good enough for me today!

Dean
Old July 17th, 2003, 11:03 AM
Admiral

I ditto Thomas plus I like the solarium pools that are off limits to kids.....it gives me time away from loud noises and rest...............

Old July 17th, 2003, 12:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

I'm with Sue -- love the covered pools and put me down as a Personal Choice dining fan.

Harry
Old July 17th, 2003, 12:22 PM
Myles

I guess I'm just a simple guy, but Ice cream and gourmet coffee from morning until night makes my day. I love the soft serve ice cream machines on the lido deck. When I'm not enjoying ice cream by itself, I'm using a little trick I learned by adding ice cream to my coffee, which gives it the flavor and richness of vanilla or chocolate gourmet coffee. Now if I can just be lucky enough to see them install an ice cream station that serves ice cream bars, sundaes, malts, shakes and banana splits, I'll think I died and went to heaven. Other than that, I can only reiterate what Dean said, "I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky, and all that I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."
Old July 18th, 2003, 07:43 AM
evie

Just want to set the record straight why I like being alone with my honey at dinner on a cruise. We have 10 grown children and 26 grandchildren. Needless to say our house sometimes is a zoo. Pluss I am around people all day at work. We spend vacations with alot of our grandchildren. In fact, we are leaving next week for the beach for a week with 10 of the grandchildren. So when we cruise it is our time for ourselves. I will be the most sociable person anywhere else on the ship but the dinning room.
Old July 21st, 2003, 11:59 AM
Admiral

I like the alternative dining options. Plus, I like the idea of personal choice dining, although I haven't tried it yet.

Cheers,
Michelle B.