Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 20th, 2003, 10:08 AM
CalifHRGal

Default Booking Next Cruise-Help!!!

Hey everyone. I'm finally sitting down to do some "serious" thinking about my next cruise. Took my first one this past May (Mexican Riviera) but it was booked by my daughter who gave it to me as a birthday gift. I need help figuring out how or where to go to get the best deal. Anyone able to help me with a website/TA etc??? Also...some feedback about the room. My daughter went all out and booked a room with a nice big window which I loved having...but I wouldn't mind getting some pros and cons on spending the extra $ for that. If you can help me with this problem...you can write me here or at CalifHRGal.com.
Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2003, 11:52 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Booking Next Cruise-Help!!!

First question-- where are you from ? I'm from CA San Jose--
Great gift from your daughter-- did you cruise together ?-- I would love to cruise with my daughter again---
Its a tough decision where and when and what ship etc----
You can find great deals on group cruises-- and you dont even have to be part of the group--- looking around the internet can give you an idea of the pricing and you can go from there--
Looking is half the fun--- enjoy whatever you choose
Cheers
April
Old July 20th, 2003, 01:13 PM
CalifHRGal

Default Re: Re: Booking Next Cruise-Help!!!

Hi April. Thanks for respmding. I'm from SoCal...near Santa Barbara. Didn't know about group travel...I assumed it was for organized groups I guess. Will have to look into that.

My first trip was a solo cruise and it was a very nice gift. Obviously something I won't forget for a very long time...if ever. I hadn't had a vacation for a very long time so it was even nicer. Couldn't remember what a "vacation" was that wasn't tied in to business trips. .

Again...thanks for the info..
Old July 20th, 2003, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Ca,
A good place to start would be to post in the "bargain finder" here at Cruisemates. Onc eyou do that, you should receive e-mails from traven agents giving you prices and availability. As for the outside cabin, that all depends on you and your pocketbook. I always now have to have a balcony, those make the whole cruise that much more special, just love them.

Here is a link to the bargain finder:

http://www.cruisemates.com/CF/bargfind/index.cfm

Just give all the information in your post, especially dates and the city where you will depart from if you want prices with air, good luck :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 20th, 2003, 07:41 PM
Passenger

I look around the various sites regularly and find the icruise and Travelzoo are good places to see what is there and what sales are going on.

Many TA have their own web sites and you can do searching and on-line quotes which make it easy to compare.

Bill

Old July 21st, 2003, 09:14 AM
Admiral

I would also suggest sitting down face to face one on one with a local travel agent. Tell them what you are looking for, your likes and dislikes etc and they will give you some really great information and most local TA's will try to meet or better the internet offers. I like using my TA because i know i can trust her to get me a great deal, and she handles everything all i have to do is come up with the $$. As for the cabin- personally i will always book a balcony cabin, have done insides, oceanviews and balconies, and balconies rate #1 with me. You will get many varied opinions on this one, its all about what you want. If you want to sit out on your balcony with a cup of coffee, in the morning, wearing your jammies watching the sunrise or the ship sail into port, or have a nice quiet spot all to yourself to relax, get some fresh air and watch the sunset then a balcony is for you.
Old July 21st, 2003, 01:13 PM
Yeoman

We have always had an inside cabin on the three cruises we've taken to the Caribbean. We have done it because we would rather spend the money on excursions and fun stuff on board. Not that the caribbean isn't beautiful because it is, but primarily we stay on deck for sunsets and if your dinner seating interferes with the sunsets, the window in your room won't matter. We have decided that we will save our money to do balcony cabins depending on the scenery. We will definitely do a balcony in Alaska since the weather is so unpredictable and the scenery is so beautiful most of the trip. In the Caribbean we were very rarely in the cabin. It would have been nice maybe in the early morning, to have the balcony but the cons out weighed the pros for us.

Luanne

Old July 23rd, 2003, 02:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

I've done bith inside ant outside cabins and prefer the outside cabins. Not waking to daylight really plays havic with my body clock. So the out side cabin is worth the extra money to wake up with out felling like it's the midle of the night no mater what time it is. It's also nice to see what the weather is like out side, expecially during rainy season.