Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 27th, 2003, 03:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default An Ugly Duckling???

I was having a discussion about ships the other day, and was surprised when the person said, " i think that ship is ugly"...they were referring to one of the Disney ships, which I think is a very nice looking design, and color....Now what I do think is UGLY is the design of the grand class Princess ships. otherwise known as the shopping cart look....I remember in the olden days[ 1990] when my family was deciding what Carnival ship to do, my daughter looked at the brochure, flippedd some pages and said "eeeew"
I won't go on that ship....It was the Festivale, one of the last remaining old look ships, gracious to many, but to a teenager it was a no no..We ended up on the Celebration.
Has the look of a ship ever deterred you? When in port, and had many ships to view, has some made you sigh, while others made say. "boy, Im glad I'm on THIS ship, not THAT ship? Trip/ Monday Chat Host
Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2003, 04:00 PM
SaraHaynes

Default Re: An Ugly Duckling???

I think the Grand class ships are absolutely gorgeous! Inside and outside. I found the Millennium class ships ugly on the outside. I have not seen them since they have been repainted but I didn't like the deep blue background and yellow writing on them.
Old July 27th, 2003, 06:34 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: An Ugly Duckling???

I agree the grand class ships are fugly on the outside, but they are beautiful, wonderful, and well run on the inside. Mostly we're looking out on a cruise so the fugliness doesn't bother me.
Old July 27th, 2003, 07:22 PM
susancruzs

I remember being on the Costa Atlantica and looking over at the "Millie" and thinking that ship isn't too attractive. When I saw the Summit before boarding in Hawaii, I thought the same thing, not great looking and I don't think the new paint job helps!

Didn't like the looks of the Grand or Golden either, but once I saw them up close and personal, I liked them a little better but still a rather strange profile!

I really thought the Brilliance was gorgeous and I guess I just like something that looks a little more traditional but outside looks would never keep me from cruising if the price is right!!!

Susie
Old July 27th, 2003, 07:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Personally, I would sail on a ferry as well...... Trip . Monday Chat Host
Old July 27th, 2003, 09:07 PM
First Mate

I am looking at pics of the Explorer, which we've taken twice to the Carib, and the Summit, which we will be boarding in less than 2 wks. and they don't seem all that different except for size. I think the Explorer is beautiful, inside and out. The only ships that I think are ugly and the really old ones. We were next to an old Norwegian one last Jan.--sort of squatty -looking and plain. I am really a fan of the Voyager-class, but would probably like the Radiance class, too. Looking forward to the Summit and hope it lives up to the hype I see on the boards. Price isn't our top priority when selecting a cruise on our own. We stick to the familiar that we know we'll like.
The Summit cruise/tour was chosen by the group that our friends are going with and we are tagging along.

Explorer to E. Carib. 1/12/02
Explorer to W. Carib. 1/18/03
Summit Alaska cruise/tour 8/3/03---Yippee!
Old July 27th, 2003, 09:20 PM
Admiral

While tendering from the Imagination in Ocho Rios, we we "parked" next to the Navigator of the Seas. My husband was in ecstacy, and I got in trouble when we got home, when he discovered I'd only taken 1 good picture of it!

donna

Old July 28th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Admiral

i think that all cruise ships are beautiful each in their own way. I am still awed and wowed by my ships when i first see them on departure day.
Old July 28th, 2003, 11:16 AM
Admiral

Joseph Conrad says it all for me: "Fortunately, nothing can deface the beauty of a ship." I have seen only one exception to that. Even then, the ship itself was beautiful.
It was her decoration that was questionable.

Steve

Until Enchantment.
Until Inspiration
Sensation 2/03
Old July 28th, 2003, 11:42 AM
Admiral

When we walked out of the parking garage at Port Everglades last December, there were about five ships docked around us. Mark asked me, "which ship are we going on?" I pointed out the Millennium, and he said, "THAT one?!" He thought it was the ugliest ship he'd ever seen - and this was AFTER the paint job! He didn't like the shape of the ship and started to not look too thrilled about the cruise, either. I didn't think she was ugly at all, but different people have different tastes.

Once we got on board, though, all his impressions of the ship's ugliness vanished! Inside, the Millennium was the most beautiful vessel we had ever been aboard. And once he realized that we wouldn't be seeing the ship from the outside very often, the outside appearance of her didn't matter to him anymore.

One more "don't judge a book by its cover" story!

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Post Edited (07-28-03 11:42)
Old July 29th, 2003, 11:36 PM
Bunny

I love the look of RCI ships. But it is not only skin deep, the insides outside the outside and that is saying something. Having lots of glass is very important to me because I want to be able to see out from the ship all over it , not just from thr pool deck!