CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Ray is Considering World Cruise and Needs Our Advice (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/264722-ray-considering-world-cruise-needs-our-advice.html)

Marc July 21st, 2004 04:32 PM

Ray is Considering World Cruise and Needs Our Advice

Ray is looking at a cruise ....New York City to New York City.....on the QEII. This is a long cruise of 110 days stopping in multiple countries on multiple continents. Ray seems to be wavering. Can I ask that all of us cruisemates of Ray provide reasons why Ray and Helen should embark on this cruise?

thanks,

UConn1 July 21st, 2004 04:47 PM

Re: Ray is Considering World Cruise and Needs Our Advice

Because they can. Not many people have the time to take a 110 day cruise.

Go for it Ray!!!!!

Jodi

Donna July 21st, 2004 04:51 PM

They are the only couple I know that could or would do a world cruise like that. Ray add those days to your cruise total and then where would you be, YIKES!

I say go for it, why not?

PapaBill July 21st, 2004 04:58 PM

How many formal nights on a 110 day cruise ?
Seriously, if finance and time are not an issue, how could you not?

VTJen July 21st, 2004 04:58 PM

Because it would be an awesome opportunity.

Don't put off til tomorrow what you can do today.

There is no time like the present.

You can't take it ($$$) with you.

VTJen
Sensation 2/2003
Majesty of the Seas 3/2004

rayb July 21st, 2004 05:12 PM

OK guys-- This is the reasons for us NOT taking this cruise.

1. We have been to most of the distinations that the Ship makes stops in. We have been to most up to 3 or 4 times. Only 2 would be new for us.

2. Too many formals on the QE2.

3. Embarkation is on January 3. That is our 63rd Anniversary and our absense would not set well with our family. They would be very unhappy.

These reasons are WEAK but that is all I have to offer right now.

Angela Z. July 21st, 2004 05:13 PM

Ray and Helen:
Cruise for those who can't!
Angela Z.

Marc July 21st, 2004 05:31 PM

Ray, sounds like you have to invite your family on the first leg of the cruise so they can celebrate your anniversary with you.:-) Of course, being around the family for 18 days until you get to Honolulu may be a hardship.

Another reason to take the cruise: you wil get an additional discount when you book the 2006 World Cruise the following year.

Lynne &Trevor July 21st, 2004 05:41 PM

You can post more pictures for us to drool over.
You will learn more about the two destinations you haven't been to than you did before.
Cruising is the adventure, not the destination!

You are our Official Cruise Ambassador and Guru!!

That's enough for now. I don't want to use any one else's reasons.

Lynne

susancruzs July 21st, 2004 05:50 PM

110 days and you've been to most those places and 2 or 3 times no less! All I can say is Wow! No wonder we all enjoy your pictures and stories so much!!! :-)

Over 3 months is a long time, I'd go for a segment, start in after the anniversary, make it 90 days instead of 110! The clothes and the packing process would scare me (not that I have the financial means to do it!)!

Give it alot of serious thought, but I'm for spending your anniversary with family first! :-)

Susie

lexxity July 21st, 2004 06:42 PM

go, go, go, go, go, go, go, go, go
got the message, now book it and go!
my husband and i dream of doing a world cruise on the QE2, we keep saying if we win the lottery we would do it in a heartbeat. Go for it. Please. like VTjen says, you can't take it with you, it doesn't matter if it's your anniversary, remember it's YOUR anniversary. formal nights schormal nights, it's a round trip, all the baggage allowance you can manage! Last but not least wouldn't you love to visit those places again? i just mentioned it to my husband and he said Go, do it!
so from myself and i'm sure from my fellow cm's goodbye, get gone, do it and we want the pics when you get back.
lexxity

cruisingkandJ July 21st, 2004 06:55 PM

Re: Re: Ray is Considering World Cruise and Needs Our Advice

I agree that there are too many fomal nights on the QE2 (every night!). You could think about just a segment whose ports you have been to the least number of times and take your family on that one.

J.

UConn1 July 21st, 2004 07:02 PM

Lame excuses are easy to answer:

1. We have been to most of the distinations that the Ship makes stops in. We have been to most up to 3 or 4 times. Only 2 would be new for us.

Then do the most off the wall thing you can think of at those ports - go a little wild - I am sure that at the ports, even having been there 4 times, you haven't seen/done everything there is to see/do.

2. Too many formals on the QE2.

I didn't know that it was mandatory to attend every formal

3. Embarkation is on January 3. That is our 63rd Anniversary and our absense would not set well with our family. They would be very unhappy.

If my parents decided to do this on/over their anniversary, my brothers and I would be pleased that they were. What a better way to enjoy 63 years together. We would even pitch in to help fray the costs. Your kids will understand and you are very wrong if you think different.

No more excuses. Just Do It!!!!!!

Post Edited (07-22-04 17:11)

bigjohn461 July 21st, 2004 08:01 PM

I am with VTjen...go for it and spend those $$$$$$..like she said..you can' t take it with you..and I will add to that ... I have never seen a U-Haul behind a hearse yet..>G<

dezertcruzer July 21st, 2004 08:29 PM

Ray, I am going to be one of the selfish ones and beg you NOT to go! LOL! I don't know what we'd do without you for 100 days!

My own feelings set aside, I say follow your gut feelings. It it appeals to you, DO IT! If you're looking for reasons not to do it, that probably means that in your heart of hearts you don't really want to. In that case, do something else.

We're your Cruise Mates family here, and we stand behind you and beside you, whatever your decision!

belgique July 21st, 2004 09:18 PM

I have much advice to offer Ray but will not share it until WE get onboard. I promise once I get into my suite and Ray and Helen in theirs, I will advise them how to enjoy the cruise.

Please e-mail me with details and when I can expect my documents to arrive. Thanks!

dalech July 21st, 2004 09:38 PM

I feel your pain Ray! I don't want you to suffer so. I would be willing to sacrifice and go in your place as long as I can take my wife and 2 kids. No one should be forced to go on a 110 day cruise. I'll even suck it up and attend the formal nights.

Just kidding, this is truly a once, or for most of us, never in our life opportunity. If you have the time, the money, and the health I would do it.

BTW, if you ever need me to cover ay other cruises for you I'm sure we can arrange something. :-)

Brenda in Canada July 21st, 2004 11:33 PM

Ray, "You only live once" is a saying I quite like. But you must decide on what YOU and Helen want to do!! Let us know what you decide!!!

pg July 21st, 2004 11:40 PM

Go.
To address point number 3, have the anniversary party the day before you go and combine with a Bon Voyage party!!!!!
And although you've been to most of the ports more than once, I am sure there is more to see then you could have covered in a visit that would have lasted only 8 to 12 hours!!

So to conclude, GO!!

Mermaid July 22nd, 2004 05:51 AM

Cons: Ray, I'm with Dezertcruzer. 110 days w/o Ray at CruiseMates is TOO long! Surely there are other long, if not world cruise, itineraries that DO appeal to you. Anyplace that you HAVEN'T been that is calling you? J had a good idea too-pick a cruise or a segment of the world cruise, and then spend the extra dough to take some of your family with you! Wouldn't that be special?

Pros: Think of the fellow travelers you would have the pleasure of meeting? On a cruise that long, with that group, you surely could swap travel stories!

sue July 22nd, 2004 06:39 AM

Re: Re: Ray is Considering World Cruise and Needs Our Advice

Considerng money is no object I agree with Ray. Take some money, make some nice arrangements at a resort for all the family members and have a wonderful time celebrating your anniversary with Helen and friends. Family time is more important plus you could "treat" all the family members to a nice gathering...I would take that instead a world cruise in a heart beat :) Not weak reasons at all....

Paul B July 22nd, 2004 10:52 AM

The bill under the door the last day would start with a $779 tip and be three pages long!!

Paul B July 22nd, 2004 11:56 AM

Whoops, I made the tip $9 too much. Guess that could go to the matrre de.

DENISE H July 22nd, 2004 01:00 PM

have fun enjoy it you live only once it your life you havework hard now relax

Paul B July 23rd, 2004 03:36 PM

Boy was I wrong, and I used to teach math. I multiplied 110 days by $3.50 a day per person. The correct tip for the cruise would be $2200 just for the cabin steward and dining room service. Ouch!!