Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 4th, 2003, 06:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Adventursome Eating !!

One of the mot wonderful things about a cruise, is the fact that you are able to try lots of foods, that if you were at home, and paying for it, you probably would not be daring enough to try...One cruise I thought ok, just do it !!! what did I try...POACHED HALIBUT, what a mistake......I noticed on Princess that when the sushi bar was set up....it became like the running of the bulls to get some....Soooooo, I made a promise to myself, next time I see sushi on a cruise, I would TASTE some...How about you? What did you try that surprised you you liked...OR what did you try that you hid in your napkin?
Trip / Monday Chat host
Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2003, 07:05 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Adventursome Eating !!

Frogs Legs, Conch soup, and abalone on a cruise ship

Bull's Testicles, heart soup, octopus burrito, haggis, & menudo on various land cruises

They were all tasty in their own right. I wouldn't turn down any of them. The best by far was the octopus (pulpo) burrito at Mariscos Polo in Puerto Vallarta. It was probably one of the best things I have ever eaten.

I'm sure a lot of people will mention escargot ( in french) or caracoles(In Spanish).Whatever you call them, snails cooked in butter, wine and garlic are the best. I first had them in French class in high school and have been hooked ever since. But then again rubber innertubes would taste good cooked in butter ,wine, and garlic.
Old August 4th, 2003, 07:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I also tried conch fritters and crab cakes on cruises...and now I am hooked.....YUM
Trip/ Monday Chat Host
Old August 4th, 2003, 07:58 PM
Admiral

I wish I could be so adventursome, but with my delicate stomach, I don't want to push my luck - so far, I haven't been sea-sick, and I'm not taking any chances (I stick with what I know I can eat!)

donna

Old August 4th, 2003, 09:55 PM
Admiral

Caviar, in Robin's and my opinion it is nothing to pay all of that money for. Little things that go pop in your mouth with no flavor. We are glad that we did not have to pay for it. Some people will post that we have no taste, well I would rather pay for a good cut of meat than a portion of caviar. Just our opinion. (Yes, she would agree, although she is asleep at this time, {{grin}})

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old August 5th, 2003, 12:34 PM
Admiral

Grilled Grouper was probably the most adventursome meal i have had on a cruise.
P.S. Donna - unless you have a medical condition that only allows you eat certain foods, please think about trying something different, gourmet, don't let a fear of getting sick prevent you from the gastronimical delights that a cruise has to offer.
Old August 5th, 2003, 12:55 PM
Admiral

I first tried escargot on a cruise and, to my surprise, loved it. (Though as Chuck says, "rubber innertubes would taste good cooked in butter ,wine, and garlic." )

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old August 5th, 2003, 07:50 PM
Admiral

Lisa, OK, I'm game....maybe I'd like to try salmon steak, even though I hate seafood, I like salmon from a can, so maybe I'd like a grilled steak? donna

Old August 6th, 2003, 07:31 AM
susancruzs

Donna, do try the salmon, it is excellent! I like cruises to try the different types of fish I don't get in the midwest, plus would not attempt to cook for myself! I'm a fish lover, except tuna (ate too much of that as a kid, force fed actually)!!!!

I also like the lamb and veal, too because living alone certain stuff I don't cook. Well, I don't cook that much anyway but let's not get in that discussion!!! :-) I guess those aren't exotic or way different but I know alot of people who've never tried or wouldn't eat lamb.

Mark, you and Robin are too funny! Carole Dunham introduced me to caviar at a Russian restaurant in New York City and if you get the real good stuff, it is far from tasteless! There are many types of caviar and it is good!!! :-)

Susie
Old August 6th, 2003, 08:40 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Adventursome Eating !!

Donna, do try the salmon! And remember, the great thing about a cruise is that you can try a little bite, and if you don't like it, they will whisk it away and bring you something else, no questions asked!

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old August 17th, 2003, 09:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Nanci
Default Re: Re: Re: Adventursome Eating !!

Tried both escargot and tiramasu on a cruise -- but NOT together.
Now I love them both !!!

As much as I love seafood, I repeatedly tried sushi (CA rolls) and still don't like them. Am I the only one???